GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have recommendations on folding bikes?
Would like to take 2 with us when we camp with the wing.
I think they would fit OK on the top of the trailer.
PS I'm a big guy so need something that is load tested.
TR

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
deleted

·
Registered
922 Posts
I do not have a trailer but it seems like you might be able to mount a bike rack to the frame of the trailer. With a little creative welding you may be able to get 2 mountain bikes on them. The new bikes are very light so it may work. Have one facing front one rear, that way handlebars will not interfere with each other.

Good luck.

·
Registered
552 Posts
WarBirdBob said:
Any one have recommendations on folding bikes?
Would like to take 2 with us when we camp with the wing.
I think they would fit OK on the top of the trailer.
PS I'm a big guy so need something that is load tested.
TR
Get ya a go-ped. They can handle 350 lbs of weight and fold down for easy transport.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
We had a pair of single speed Dahon folding bikes. They worked well for us. I would stuff them in the back of a GM Trail Blazer vehicle when we traveled

Although if you are a big guy they may be the wrong bike for you. I tower over 5'6" :lol: , my wife is a bit shorter.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've been trying to find suitable folding bikes too. I'm also a big guy: 6'4" and about 280 (although hopefully I can reduce the latter). Most folding bicycles aren't rated anywhere near my weight. However, Montague bikes might be okay. They appear to have been designed to take abuse. I haven't been able to find a local dealer with stock to actually view, though. I wouldn't want to buy such a bike unseen. Montague also sells a hard case for $$$ that you might be able to bolt to the top of a camper.

Arthur

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
you might try boating and RVing forums for more recomendations...

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I'm an avid cyclist, and have had a folding bike (a tandem, in fact) for years. We use it when we travel to a tour. Although they cost a good deal more than the Dahon or Montague, Bike Friday bikes are far superior. You can check them out at www.bikefriday.com. Although these bikes fold, they don't compromise much on quality. You hardly realize you're not on a full size bike. They are all custom built to your size and riding style, which is part of why they ride so well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts