GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me for venting, but I just got a text message from a buddy I went down to the Texas hill country with this last weekend. He stayed another day and was going to ride to Houston. He was out riding by himself yesterday in a remote part of Texas on a two lane road and got a flat tire out in the middle of nowhere. His text message to me said he waited by the bike with a white flag for an hour and a half with no cell phone service, and watched 23 vehicles go by and not stop, including 6 motorcycles. He ended up walking to get help, because no one would stop.

I'm simply amazed that folks won't stop and help a stranded rider out on a remote road in obvious distress. Have we as a society become so busy with our own lives that we can't take out a minute to help someone in trouble?

·
Registered
718 Posts
that's not all true, I always stop to see if anyone needs help no matter what kind of bike they ride and just the other day a friend of mine were riding and his bike ran out of gas (BMW R1200RT) and while I rode to get gas for him 3 Harley s at separate times stopped to see if we needed help.

I know that there will always be times when this will happen but not the normal, too many people either ride or have family members who ride today.

Leaving for Rogers in two days.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
The way I see it Fred,there are a lot people that only care about number 1...then their are people that want to stop & help, but are afraid that the person asking for help is just wanting someone to stop so they can pull a gun on them & rob them & take their car or bike...there just isn't anyway to know if the one waving for help even owns the bike...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Forgive me for venting, but I just got a text message from a buddy I went down to the Texas hill country with this last weekend. He stayed another day and was going to ride to Houston. He was out riding by himself yesterday in a remote part of Texas on a two lane road and got a flat tire out in the middle of nowhere. His text message to me said he waited by the bike with a white flag for an hour and a half with no cell phone service, and watched 23 vehicles go by and not stop, including 6 motorcycles. He ended up walking to get help, because no one would stop.

I'm simply amazed that folks won't stop and help a stranded rider out on a remote road in obvious distress. Have we as a society become so busy with our own lives that we can't take out a minute to help someone in trouble?
I always stop.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I think that today it seems everyone is in a hurry. They do not want to or can not disrupt their schedule. Kind of sad really. If you do stop, it is likely you will be tied up two hours or more and they just are "too busy." Maybe we need to step back and consider "What if that were me?"

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I'll stop unless something looks off. Coming from miami you better be real cautious.:eek:4: If you breakdown there your in deep doodoo. If you stop to help it could be a setup. Not paranoid; just the way it is!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Fred, I think this is more common that any of us want to believe. This is the society that we have, selfish, self centered and scared of the nuts out there that might do something crazy. People that help are becoming the exception to the rule now. it is sad,but it is real. I always stop to help,but then I ride with Big Cat and you always have to stop and help him up!! :roll: ;)

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Helping

Society has changed a lot with cell phones and road side assistance. The expectation is that the stranded motorist will contact AAA or someone similar and get the help they need. I suspect people don't take into account that in a particular area there may not be cell phone coverage.

I always stop to help a biker and have been able to lend assistance a few times. It is an awful feeling to be stranded in the middle of nowhere with no help readily available.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Helment

It certainly was very true for him on this day. I'd bet that every single person who passed him told themselves the same thing. Someone else will stop and help him. No one did.
Fred I was always taught by my Dad and Grand Dad that if you need help with a break down to sit your helmet behind your bike on the shoulder of the road. I have seen many bikes on the road side and stopped anyway just to be sure. But I have not seen a helmet sitting behind a bike, Maybe we could get this style of notice restarted across our states by posting the notice.

Use You Helmet to notify others of your need, I saw that your buddy had a white flag and this to is good but it did not seem to help in this case. It is a treble shame that no one would stop to lend a helping hand.

DOC:shrug:

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Interesting thread, I guess that really makes one see the value of owning and subscribing to a device and service like Spot for situations like this where cell service is not available.

It may seem a little expensive, but when you need it, it's priceless.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I always stop for M/C. I also carry a plug kit and compressor. I also have SPOT. I never leave on a long trip without it especially riding solo.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Fred I was always taught by my Dad and Grand Dad that if you need help with a break down to sit your helmet behind your bike on the shoulder of the road. I have seen many bikes on the road side and stopped anyway just to be sure. But I have not seen a helmet sitting behind a bike, Maybe we could get this style of notice restarted across our states by posting the notice.

Use You Helmet to notify others of your need, I saw that your buddy had a white flag and this to is good but it did not seem to help in this case. It is a treble shame that no one would stop to lend a helping hand.

DOC:shrug:
Never heard of a white flag??? I see a bike off the road it only means to me stopping to look around. I see a helmet set by the road or rider squatted looking at bike I'm stopping. White flag=one more lap.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I am not ever going to stop for any fat Winger. They all carry guns. :lol:

On the serious side people today are very self centered and really do not care. Stopping to help you will take time from their texting on their phone.

There are still a great many good folks in the world, but there are now new concerns in our new society, as no good deed goes unpunished many times.

I myself always stop, but I am cautious. Sometimes it may not be as it seems. Those concerns though are mostly in the city areas, not on the back roads out in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I always stop for M/C. I also carry a plug kit and compressor. I also have SPOT. I never leave on a long trip without it especially riding solo.

A few years ago I had three flat tires within a 6 month period -- each time several people stopped to offer help. I think I had my hazards flashing but don't remember for sure.

So when I see somebody stopped, I'm looking at their tires to see if they look flat because I carry my repair kit and compressor everywhere I go, just in case.

If I slow down and they don't indicate they want me to stop, or they're ignoring me, I move on. Or if there are already two bikes stopped, I usually ride on. But I have to admit that there have been times when I noticed a single rider who was on the phone and didn't stop.

If I see they have they hazard lights on and are trying to get my attention -- I will definitely stop. I won't turn off my motor or take off my helmet until I have spoken with them first.

Usually, they indicate they've already contacted help or they are okay. I haven't used that tire repair kit to help anybody yet.

·
Registered
291 Posts
FYI, Text messaging takes less power than talking on a cell phone. I have sent messages to people when I could not get my cell phone to connect. . . If your out in no mans land, and broke down, before hiking for help, try texting someone, who in turn could call you help.
But, I also stop and make sure I get a thumbs up when I see a bike stopped on the side of the road.

·
Registered
145 Posts
FYI, Text messaging takes less power than talking on a cell phone. I have sent messages to people when I could not get my cell phone to connect. . . If your out in no mans land, and broke down, before hiking for help, try texting someone, who in turn could call you help.
But, I also stop and make sure I get a thumbs up when I see a bike stopped on the side of the road.

Roadside assistance should be using text if they aren't already. In one case, I had to walk a couple of hundred yards away from the interstate to make a phone call -- it was near impossible to communicate by phone with all the road noise.

And yes -- sometimes texting gets through when a phone call won't. I have texted somebody before and asked them to place a phone call for me.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Fred,

I just hope that this is a rare situation on a bad day at a bad time. As I read the above posts I see that most of us will stop to try to help a stranded motorcyclist. Hopefully no other member of this board will experience this.

The comment about Spot certainly has merit and is something to consider.

I will have to try the comment on texting the next time I am in an area with no service to see if it might work.

Just a comment on the helmet behind the bike, I have heard this before but frankly doubt if it would be much of a signal to me. If I saw the helmet I think I would be more concerned that someone might run into it. It is worth noting that I have been riding since 1966 and this is not a signal I am familiar with even though I have seen it mentioned on many forums.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts