GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months back, I posted a poll asking how many dismount the bike before fueling. The results significantly favored getting off. I was passing through Vegas on my way to Utah this week, and came across all these motor cops gassing up. Not a single one got off their bike to fill up. There must have been a training day as there were cops from several agencies. Photos were taken at the Valero at Speedway Boulevard exit, North Las Vegas on the 20th of May. Guess they didn't get the memo about explosions.

And BTW, I didn't get the pic, but there was a truck pulling a flatbed trailer with two spare cop Harley's on it. :lol:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
There might be tactical reasons of for the motor cops to stay mounted. I'm one that gets off because usually I need a chance to stretch anyway.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I have never tried to fill up when sitting on the bike.
Stop, get off, open the fuel door, open the fuel cap, get the cc out of the wallet in the back pocket.
May have to give it a try and hope I dont hit the gas pump when putting the bike on the side stand, but close enough to put in the cc and then reach the nozzle at the other end of the pump.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
A few months back, I posted a poll asking how many dismount the bike before fueling. The results significantly favored getting off. I was passing through Vegas on my way to Utah this week, and came across all these motor cops gassing up. Not a single one got off their bike to fill up. There must have been a training day as there were cops from several agencies. Photos were taken at the Valero at Speedway Boulevard exit, North Las Vegas on the 20th of May. Guess they didn't get the memo about explosions.

And BTW, I didn't get the pic, but there was a truck pulling a flatbed trailer with two spare cop Harley's on it. :lol:

Looks like a drill team.

I put the stand down (most of the time:lol:) and get off.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To make things even more interesting, the ones that are double parked passed the nozzle across the lap of one cop to fuel the one along side.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I used to fill up sometimes sitting on the bike. One day the fill nozzle malfunctioned and I had gasoline everywhere. I mean everywhere. That was the last time for me. Do I care what someone else does? Absolutely not! As for those who do fill while still on the bike... Good luck... Someday you may need it.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
To make things even more interesting, the ones that are double parked passed the nozzle across the lap of one cop to fuel the one along side.
Yep...done that a few times when pumps were scarce.

I actually do both methods (stay on vs. get off) depending on the situation. I'm much better on the bike. I drip less and can fill it all the way to the top.

Most times I'll fill while on the bike and then ride up to the front of the store and park it and go in. It's not about being in a rush at all. I take my break, I just don't do it while my bike is parked in front of the pump. I don't like to stretch while my bike is parked in front of the pump because others are waiting to use it. It doesn't matter much at big stations but in little towns off the path, they might only have a couple pumps and it's pretty rude to park there for 5 minutes and stretch so I stay in while filling and then pull up to the front.

Oh...and I totally call BS on the explosion theory stuff. Yeah..it can happen, but it can happen on, off, beside, whatever. Probably a few million fillups without issue for every one that has an issue. (I do turn off the bike before filling) And yes...I've seen the idiot video where the guy that catches his bike on fire doing a fillup but he spills gas everywhere and he has an electrical issue going on making for a perfect storm. Bottom line...you spill a bunch of gas out and then have things that arc and sparc when you start your bike and you're going to have a problem whether you are on or off of it.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts

I actually do both methods (stay on vs. get off) depending on the situation. I'm much better on the bike. I drip less and can fill it all the way to the top.

Most times I'll fill while on the bike and then ride up to the front of the store and park it and go in. It's not about being in a rush at all. I take my break, I just don't do it while my bike is parked in front of the pump. I don't like to stretch while my bike is parked in front of the pump because others are waiting to use it. It doesn't matter much at big stations but in little towns off the path, they might only have a couple pumps and it's pretty rude to park there for 5 minutes and stretch so I stay in while filling and then pull up to the front.

Oh...and I totally call BS on the explosion theory stuff. Yeah..it can happen, but it can happen on, off, beside, whatever. Probably a few million fillups without issue for every one that has an issue. (I do turn off the bike before filling) And yes...I've seen the idiot video where the guy that catches his bike on fire doing a fillup but he spills gas everywhere and he has an electrical issue going on making for a perfect storm. Bottom line...you spill a bunch of gas out and then have things that arc and sparc when you start your bike and you're going to have a problem whether you are on or off of it.
Ditto:bow:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts

I agree with you. I pull up, gas up, and move away from the pump. Go in take a leak, get coffee, stand outside or walk around a bit and go. I always try to pull up on the left side of pump. Put the stand down and sit and pump the gas. I'm starting to walk in and pay with cash more as I have had my CC numbers stolen several times now, as most pumps look easy to open and install a card reader.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I always get off the bike before filling the gas tank, I like to have the side stand down, and I also touch something that's hooked to the ground to make I have no static electricity in me.

Seen a lady catch fire at a gas pump once, never want to see that again.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I pull up, get off, stretch my legs but never,,, put the side stand down,,,. :lol:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
"Hot Donuts" sign must not have been illuminated!!!!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
I use the center stand. While the tank is filling I write down my mileage and location in my log book.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts