GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, seems trivial, but i'm intrigued.

Footpegs or floorboards? Why does one choose one over the other?

Is there a performance or driving factor? Or is it simply a matter of taste/style/preference of the driver?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I never had the floorboards, but when I bought my bike and was looking into accessories, my friend at the shop said that while walking the bike your feet / legs catch on them?? :shrug: other than that I have no information.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I bought floorboards because they are just a lot more comfortable for me.

With floorboards I can move my feet around in a lot more positions and keep my legs/feet from falling asleep.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
My wife's VTX has floorboards, I find them to be a little awkward, but she really liked them. I guess its just a matter of preference.

·
Registered
847 Posts
If you like the twisties stay away from the floorboards. I watched a friend go down in a turn because they lifted the front wheel.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
If you like the twisties stay away from the floorboards. I watched a friend go down in a turn because they lifted the front wheel.

My floorboards fold up just like pegs do. No problems in twisties.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Have had both. Took the floorboards off after about 10k miles. Too easy to drag and with my 28" inseam they kept my feet up off the pavement and made my ankles sore from rubbing against them at stoplights. YMMV...

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had my floor boards an d ever had a problem with them. I have a 30" inseam. Never had a problem in corners, with two up and I love to to corner, never hit them.

I enjoy them for comfort. When I want, I could stand up on them while riding. to give my butt a little rest and get some air. You can't go wrong with the Floor boards.

With foot pegs, my feet always hurt on long runs, were the Heel meets the sole area. With Floor Boards I don't have a problem. I never hit the boards while stopping. Plus you can move your foot more with them. Just my 3 cents.

·
Registered
655 Posts
With foot pegs, my feet always hurt on long runs, were the Heel meets the sole area. With Floor Boards I don't have a problem.
I am convinced, going to floor boards
:congrats:

·
Registered
527 Posts
pegs for me

I have tried platforms and did not like them at all. I found that I had less foot room for my size 12 boots. Move forward and I hit the front lever, back and I hit the back lever. My feet were locked in one position, with the pegs I can move my feet more. Just my experience.

Marc

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I have floor boards, love them...I find my feet never hurt versus when I had the stock pegs on long rides....as for the twisties...I have already worn out a pair of floor boards in 34,000 miles...the kury's lift up and out of the way if you drag them....I think just, if not safer than the stock pegs.....

Now for the down side of floor boards....the Kury's have a design flaw....the shifter side comes with the toe heal shifter...how ever the tolerence on the T/H shifter spindle is too tight...when the bike heats up the T/H shifter puts more stress on the actual stock shift lever...thus could cause problems later on...however there is a fix...you need to reem out the T/H shifter spindle by about 1000th of an inch and all is fine...no stress on the stock shifter...T/H shifter moves freely....just be aware of this otherwise your stock shifter will stick up or down...not good....

Good Luck.

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
FLAME SUIT ON----On the 1800:

Floorboards are dangerous(see post above)
Floorboards limit cornering
Floorboards have chrome that pits
Floorboards cause shifter fork problems
Floorboards are more comfortable than pegs

IGNITE FLAME SUIT:eek:

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Shifting gears just doesn't come naturally with floorboards. I know you can get used to doing it, and many people do. But I'm more of a driver than a cruiser type.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
have riden wings with floor boards, they drag way to easyfor me, just a simple u turn and they drag and make all kinds of noise, i guess the dragging doesn't interfear wth the handling but i just don't like it, floor boards also get in the way and rub my legs when stopped, seems like that might get painful after awhile but maybe not, i never rode very far with floor boards
lots of folks are claiming the feet are more comfortable with floor boards, well my feet are plenty comfortable on footpegs, i guess as usual different things work for different folks, i hope u enjoy whatever foot situation u choose :thumbup:
one more thing if u are not a smooth shifter floor boards will allow u to slam the gears, to me it is scarry to see how some folks with heel toe shifters slam the gears, i think that could lead to transmision problems :shrug:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Pegs & hiway pegs vs. floor boards

I rode a '84 Yamaha Venture Royale until 2004, and installed a heel/toe shifter and hiway pegs early on. Used it that way for almost 20 years. Then a 2004 V Star 650 with floor boards for about 2 years, then a Royal Star Venture for another year, it also had floor boards.

Now my 2007 GL1800--- I've installed heel-toe shifter and hiway pegs. Floor boards do provide increased positioning of your feet, but can also impede placing feet on the ground. I have two less-than-perfect knees (old football and motorcycle incidents) and keeping my lower legs and feet back on the stock position pegs causes a lot of discomfort after a while. The hiway pegs let me stretch out my legs on the longer rides, giving some relief to my knees.

The foot pegs on the Wing are in a sort of sport riding position, due to keeping them away from the engine. Floor boards may not give you a lot of additional manuverability because of the engine restricting movement. Hiway pegs offer additional positioning, but place your feet away from the controls.

I'd guess that floor boards (if you don't have a problem with heel-toe shifter) along with hiway pegs would offer the most choices for comfortable positioning of your feet. I'm gonna stick with foot pegs, heel-toe shifter, and hiway pegs. All of this amounts to about $.02

·
Registered
168 Posts
Now for the down side of floor boards....the Kury's have a design flaw....the shifter side comes with the toe heal shifter...how ever the tolerence on the T/H shifter spindle is too tight...when the bike heats up the T/H shifter puts more stress on the actual stock shift lever...thus could cause problems later on...however there is a fix...you need to reem out the T/H shifter spindle by about 1000th of an inch and all is fine...no stress on the stock shifter...T/H shifter moves freely....just be aware of this otherwise your stock shifter will stick up or down...not good....

Good Luck.
I don't think the new ones have this problem.

I have a lot of clearance on mine. In fact I thought it was a little to loose at first.

And I have measured mine and there is the same amount of clearance as the original peg. So I don't know what this lack of cornering clearance is all about.

And they fold up very easily , so no they are not dangerous.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I put floorboards on my bike because I was tired of dragging the tip of my boots when shifting on a corner, love them. I did have the problem of the heel-toe shifter sticking on the shifts after two years, but five minutes cleaning out and tweaking the torque on the shifter fixed that.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I don't find floorboards to be any more comfortable than foot pegs. I also don't like the heel toe shifter or the raised rear brake. Awkward. Too much effort. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I tried the floorboards, but didn't care for them. My foot position felt awkward, knees rode higher because I had to take off my peg relo kit (I have a 34" inseam).. And I've gotten used to being able to flex my calves by tillting my feet up and down on the pegs.. Some folk love them..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts