GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to remove my foot pegs this AM to install floorboards. Of the 4 M6 Bolts, 3 were not even hand tight. The 4th bolt was barely snug.

I suggest you check these 4 bolts for correct torque. You will need a 6MM Hex, a 6" extension and torque wrenchset to 20 FT LBs.

Note that I am one of those riders who steps on the LH peg to mount the motorcycle. It would really hurt if the peg came off while I was doing that.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
A word of warning based on something you find is always worth posting. :bow:

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. May I add that after removing the foot brake spline bolt (which requires removing the foot peg bracket), the splined post will be mysteriously drawn back into the engine block by elves, making it impossible to put the spline bolt back through the foot brake.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. May I add that after removing the foot brake spline bolt (which requires removing the foot peg bracket), the splined post will be mysteriously drawn back into the engine block by elves, making it impossible to put the spline bolt back through the foot brake.
Are you sure it wasn't gremlins? Do you have any bells?

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't gremlins? Do you have any bells?
Gotta have those bells. Gremlins can be a disaster and wreak havoc throughout a motorsickle.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Yeah, that's a little tricky sometimes. What you need to do is expand the pedal by putting a large screwdriver into the gap and hitting it with a hammer. Then, you can put the pedal onto the post enough to get it to grab by wiggling. Once on about a ¼", pull out on the front of the pedal causing it to get cattywompus on the post then pull out the shaft. Repeat as necessary until you get it on enough to insert the bolt. A suitable sized phillips driver pushed upward from the bottom through the bolt hole can help the process.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts