GL1800Riders Forums banner

If you're apt to drag pegs, where do you put your feet?

• Just leave them on the pegs like always.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Put the balls of my feet on the pegs.

• Lift my inside foot off the peg before the apex.

• Are you crazy? I never drag my pegs!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you are apt to drag your pegs, what do you do with your feet?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
When you are apt to drag your pegs, what do you do with your feet?

balls of my feet on the drivers pegs,if running real hard I angle my foot so the sole of my shoe is almost on the engine cover and just the outside of my shoe is touching the peg,,,if that makes any sense,lol

I have zero weight on either peg if im doing it right!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I agree with Yellow Wolf, Pull your feet back lest you curl your toes then your whole foot under the peg. I have startled myself before.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
I'm not a peg "dragger" by any means, but in the few times I've done that, I make sure that my foot was not under the shifter in a left turn!!! That happened just ONCE, and I learned the hard way to get my foot up like Yellow_wolf said. It could have been much worse, as the bike upshifted in the process half-way through a turn and without the clutch :eek:4: but luckily my foot flipped out from under the shifter and no harm done to me. That'll get the adrenaline pumping.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I'm not a peg "dragger" by any means, but in the few times I've done that, I make sure that my foot was not under the shifter in a left turn!!! That happened just ONCE, and I learned the hard way to get my foot up like Yellow_wolf said. It could have been much worse, as the bike upshifted in the process half-way through a turn and without the clutch :eek:4: but luckily my foot flipped out from under the shifter and no harm done to me. That'll get the adrenaline pumping.
I've done that too. Especially if I'm at a stoplight waiting on a left turn. I start out in first but I'm kind of eager to get it into second as I'm turning and that is when I have trapped a foot. My solution is to use the Kuryakyn boards in the only sleight raised position (not highly raised for sporty riding). This will give me an audible indicator before I drag my foot on the ground (or any other non pivoting parts).

I saw someone on this forum who has a picture (possibly from Killboy) where the are riding rather spirited and dragging their highway pegs and their feet are still on the highway pegs. Aside from being that much farther from the shifter and rear brake pedal when you might need them most, it would also force deeper scratches in their boards (than again I guess some are really into showing off those scratch marks).

For those visiting Florida, beware of some of our excessive road crowns. I'm dragging my left floorboard all the time but rarely will I drag the right.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
balls of my feet lightly on the pegs and heels pointed inward..

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
my balls ain't on my feet...........you guys should be in show business,LOL

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Wasn't a choice for "None of the Above".

I place the peg in the middle of my size 12's and hang my toes over the edge of the peg pointed outward. And, if riding with gusto, down toward the ground with my heel tucked inboard.

When the toe end of my boot starts dragging, I know just how much more of an angle I can lean before the stock or highway peg start dragging. Gives me a "heads up" on what to do next.

Sure is hard on the boot toes, though!

Best Regards.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let me answer my own poll: I've always been a Leave 'en On the Pegs kinda guy. I've tried the balls of the feet, but then I just feel like my feet will get squashed at a funny angle. Now that I have a curvy drive to work, I've been wondering if it makes sense to pick up that inside foot. Saw a YouTube video where a guy did that and wondered how y'all did it. Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
716 Posts
With size 13 double wide it's hard for me to position my foot where it does not touch when using the peg as a feeler gauge. The boot touches the ground first and then the peg. Over the years I have gotten use to the feel of the pavement under my foot and now know when to back off when my foot gets hot or excessive smoke. LOL

I buy my boots at Wallmart when on sales for around 30 bucks. Go through about 3 pairs a year some times more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
According to Lee Parks Total Control training, there are 10 steps to proper cornering, and step 1 is: "Reposition inside foot. Be on the balls of your feet for maximum leverage (for footpegs). Don't let any part of your foot touch the ground."

As far as I'm concerned, Yellow Wolf is right on with his advice to tuck the inside foot (if possible). Having caught my toes between the road and shifter on more than one occasion, I can attest to the startling discomfort of that manuever. I have seen YouTube videos of riders going down for just that reason.
:bow:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
my balls ain't on my feet...........you guys should be in show business,LOL

THAT IS TOO FUNNY!! :lol:

I have no show biz talent...so I ride 99% on my tip-toes.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Dragging a peg would scare me half to death!:eek:4:

·
Registered
407 Posts
big feet

I ride with my feet back, but not quite the balls of my feet on the pegs, and my size 14's are a bit wider than the pegs anyway...
I refer to it as footjoy when the road tickles my boots
when I start to get over far enough the sides of my boots will start to drag before my pegs do
it does help remind you about how far over you are
a group of us were riding the dragon this fall, and they guys could not believe the peg drags and sparks coming from underneath:lol:

bryon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts