GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep the rubber on the drivers footpeg wore through down to the metal

Honda service mgr said well it must be the way you put your feet on the pegs. I told him don't even go there.... just put on new pegs and on the second complaint they finally did. Just before the warranty expired.

Tony - Chicagoland 8)

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Ya know ? Thats the kind of crap that really gets people. Hey it's under warranty....Just replace the Dam thing. Man you have to fight for everything. Thats just terrible. Glad you won.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Tony,

Email me your address or phone #. Let me know which side you need. I just might have what you are looking for.

Bulldog

·
Registered
11 Posts
footpeg

I have a set of factory pegs that have been chromed that I will sell make offer just laying on self I installed the kury on this 04 .

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
I have 7200 miles and I just ordered a new rubber for my left foot peg myself. I think the corners of the foot peg are a little sharp and caused a hole to wear through. I'm going to put some tape on the corners of the foot peg to see if that helps with the wear.

I didn't even try to get a new foot peg rubber under warranty because for $11.99 it wasn't worth the hassle. I love the looks of Kury pegs, but I drag my stock pegs quite a bit and the stock pegs have the replaceable drag balls to keep you from damaging the peg in those peg scraping corners.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I didn't have my '02 1800 no time before the rubber on the stock pegs wore through at the outside tips....... The rubber is too thin.... Honda should put thicker rubber there at the end.... I went with the Kury stock pegs..... They look great...... Stobby.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
From what I recall, it was only 2-3 weeks, and I
noticed the shiny metal showing through my right
side, and then 2 more weeks, the left side. I
don't plan on doing anything about it. Too thin
a rubber, yes, problem, no.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Replacing "step" rubber

After 80+ K miles the rubber on the left foot peg (Honda calls it a step) wore out on my '05 GL1800. The OEM replacement part number is 50661-MCA-305. The same part number is for left and right. The rubber pad is held in place with a 8MM hex head bolt and an internal bracket. The bolt removal will fight you all the way off because it has thread locker attached to the threads. During disassembly, take pictures, note that the internal bracket is directional. The bracket has two indents that face toward the frame. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
After 80+ K miles the rubber on the left foot peg (Honda calls it a step) wore out on my '05 GL1800. The OEM replacement part number is 50661-MCA-305. The same part number is for left and right. The rubber pad is held in place with a 8MM hex head bolt and an internal bracket. The bolt removal will fight you all the way off because it has thread locker attached to the threads. During disassembly, take pictures, note that the internal bracket is directional. The bracket has two indents that face toward the frame. Good luck!
Is this a record? A 10 year old thread resurrected!!! :bow:

·
Registered
44 Posts
ROFLMAO, I always check the forum before starting any repairs. 9 times out of 10 the solution is already posted. Just adding to the data base. Thanks for noticing. ;)

·
Registered
5,260 Posts

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I thought for sure Digger was to blame!

I can't imagine warranty having covered the worn pegs even way back then. I replaced the rubber and metal parts of mine several times before warranty and extended warranty expired. Not Honda's fault the roads here are crooked ;-) Now, with full Traxxion and Peps-X titanium skidders under the pegs, I only have to replace once in a blue moon.

prs

·
Banned
792 Posts
Is this a record? A 10 year old thread resurrected!!! :bow:
:lol: A common happening with new people on the forums. I see it on others as well. Hey, they weren't on here before is the way I see it but this is surely a record.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I wouldn't think that the rubber on the footpegs would be a warranty item.

I wore mine out and replaced them with the Kury pegs.
I also don't think that the step rubbers are a warranty item any more than tires or fluids. They are consumable items and will wear with use. This is a good thread because it inspires me to make a run up to San Clemente and pay the folks at Wingstuff a visit. I haven't seen their new shop since moving from Lake Forest. Riding is certainly better than working and taking a half day off sounds like a great idea.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Mine have always rub through - from the bottom - No Warranty Claim Either:cry:

·
Registered
144 Posts
:lol: A common happening with new people on the forums. I see it on others as well. Hey, they weren't on here before is the way I see it but this is surely a record.
New guys can't win on a lot of forums. If you dredge up an old thread you get the "OMG, Zombie Thread, WTF?!?" guys, and if you post a new thread you inevitably get the guy who links to the 10 year old thread and rails you with "Use the search function Noob!!". It's amazing most forums manage to even exist.

·
Banned
792 Posts
New guys can't win on a lot of forums. If you dredge up an old thread you get the "OMG, Zombie Thread, WTF?!?" guys, and if you post a new thread you inevitably get the guy who links to the 10 year old thread and rails you with "Use the search function Noob!!". It's amazing most forums manage to even exist.
It is all good and nothing insulting intended. I have done the same thing many times in the past on other forums. Forums are fun, entertaining and educational and even a pain at times. :thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts