GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of "personalizing" my '06 Wing. I've had it since March 28, '06 and have around 9,000 miles on it so far...

I'm categorizing my additions as either "comfort", "visibility" or "aesthetics" - and I'm using those categories to prioritize my purchases

Like many of you, if I start out with a full tank of gas, I haven't truly gone for a "ride" unless I've had to refuel at least once before I get home...

What I've learned is that my old (and long gone) '85 Limited Edition had a better footpeg placement (for me!) than my new '06. So, in the interest of comfort, I'm going to be adding a new foot rest device... My '06 has great footpeg placement for when I'm driving aggressively, but when I'm headed down a long stretch of super slab and just want to kick back, my knees are bent at a greater than 90 degree angle - and they start bothering me a bit after a couple hundred miles. And ache more as the day progresses...

So I've been researching footpegs for a while now... Seems like everyone agrees that either Kuryakyn or ****-O-Pegs are the way to go...

My stats: 6', 275lbs, 32" inseam

Kuryakyn:

Looks like they offer 2 different mountings for the GL1800 - and 4 different types of "foot pegs"

Kuryakyn Mounts: Ergo II or Longhorn

Looks like the Ergo IIs are designed to mount to the horizontal engine guard and the Longhorns are designed to mount to the vertical engine guard.

Kuryakyn Footpegs - Cruise Boards, ISO-Wings, Dually ISO Pegs & Switchblades

Then there are the ****-O-Pegs...

Seems with the ****-O-Pegs I can have them set up so that my feet are in the most comfortable position for me - while on the flats! But it looks like I would need to have them retracted for "twisties" or "sweepers".

With the Kuryakyns, it looks like I could get a set up that would allow me to keep my legs extended on the "sweepers". (I don't anticipate using highway "pegs" in the "twisties")

Question #1: Does my analysis above seem to be correct?

Question #2: For those of you who have tried BOTH a Kuryakyn setup AND ****-O-Pegs - Which did you prefer, and why?

Whew... Anyone still left reading this thang?!?!

Thanks!

-=Margarita Will=-

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
I vote for ****-O-Pegs. I have not tried the otehrs, but I love my ****'s and they retract automatically.

I'm 6'7", 270 with a 36" inseam.

Bartman

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I'm 6' even and have a 34" inseam. I tried the Kury's (on the vertical bar) and then tried the ****'s (used set) and found that neither really worked for me. I found that when I'm on a straight long stretch of open road the best thing I can do for my legs is stand up for about a minute on the pegs. But I prefer normally riding with the balls of my feet on the pegs.

It all boils down to personal choice and what works for you. One man's ceiling is another man's floor. You've got to try it yourself. I've put the Kury's back on my bike mainly to cover the scratches on the engine guard from when they were on there before. But in the last 20K miles of riding I bet I've had them deployed no more than a total of 5 minutes. The ****'s made me feel nervous having my feet that low. (I believe I'm the only one that has ever had that complaint)

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
For me the answer is simple. I have a 32 1/2" inseam. I'll only use highway pegs if they are comfortable. Get a box or something to approximate the different positions and try them out. If you find you like your feet above the horizontal bars, get Kurys. If you want them below, get MOPs.

One thing to remember, if you get MOPs, you also get a 90 day buy back warranty. If Jim **** can't make them work for you, he will buy them back. You won't find a better vendor with whom to work.

Your analysis is pretty much correct except for this. It is a misconception that MOPs cannot be used in the sweepers. Models K/D, K/L plus their HS models can be used in sweepers depending on your speed. I like to go fast so at some point I generally have to put my inside heel back on the driver's peg and lift my toe up while keeping it on the peg. It hasn't been a problem for me. But then I really don't have another choice because putting my feet high is very uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I'm 5'11" 32" inseam 228#. I just installed a pair of Kuryakyn #7976 HWY rests last week on my vertical bar as high up as possible (about 1" from the top) and installed the brace on an angle (horizontal) towards my seated position and angled the boards in about a 45 degree angle for a comfortable foot position.

They feel great after adjustments with plenty of ground clearence. OEM pegs will touch before Kurys with the way I installed mine. My legs are not locked straight out, I still have a slight bent in the knees.

If I was to do it again, I'd order a set up with longer stems for many more adjustments. I feel that installing on the verticle crash bar instead of the horizontal one is safer by adding more cornering clearence, with this model.

Correct me if I'm worng, the **** O pegs look like they would get in the way of my Kury heel toe shifter.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I have long legs and a really high seat; I like the Kury Longhorns but I rarely use them. I usually do like Dorian and stand up.
I feel that highway pegs compromise safety too much to use them often; they reduce your reaction time to your foot-brake.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had Kuryakin 4050s with iso wings on the vertical bar and ****-o-pegs model KD, on the horizontal bar, for about 5 years. I have an 01 Wing that I bought new and now have just over 63,000 miles on it. This summer, I removed the Kuryakin pegs because I simply haven't used them for a year or so.... and I don't miss them. When I get into the twisties, I keep my feet on the riders pegs. If I am using the ****-o-pegs and drag, I just lift my foot or remove my foot from the peg. It gets itself out of the way.

Originally, I had only the Kuryakins and they were mounted on the horizontal bar. I hit one of the mounts one day, while riding the gap, and it put me in the ditch. (I think I've heard that one about a hundred times now, from others on these boards). I didn't do any damage to the bike, but it did scare the hell out of me. I then moved them to the vertical bar and rode that way for a while, but they were never very comfortable for me. I bought the ****-o-pegs at Wing Ding 2001 and mounted them while I was there. Originally they were model K (I think) and then a year later I bought the model D arms (or were the model numbers the other way around?). The mounts are angled at about 21 degrees, so they don't hit pavement until the riders' pegs and the lower shields have done so. I figure if the ****-o-peg mounts drag now.... I'll already have bigger problems than that.

I think you were asking for opinions here, so here is mine. The position I sit in while using the ****-o-pegs, is most comfortable, for me, for the long haul. Feet lower and somewhat forward. I can sit there for hours.... and often do. I felt like I had to be reaching around the fairing, doing the splits, while reaching out there, for the Kuryakin pegs. The inside of my leg was constantly rubbing on the outside edge of the fairing, making for an uncomfortable ride if I stayed that way for any length of time, so I eventually just stopped using them. Oh.... and if size matters (depends on which sex you ask) I am 6'-1" tall, 31" inseam and weigh about 240.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
ddking said:
cptdenny said:
Correct me if I'm worng, the **** O pegs look like they would get in the way of my Kury heel toe shifter.
Consider yourself corrected. :D
I stand corrected. :shock:

I now see that there are two ways to mount the **** O Pegs, either with the peg pointing inboard (bad for my heel toe shifter) or pointing out (better for my heel toe shifter.

Thanks DDKing :wink:

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
cptdenny said:
I now see that there are two ways to mount the **** O Pegs, either with the peg pointing inboard (bad for my heel toe shifter) or pointing out (better for my heel toe shifter.
Now I stand corrected. You are absolutely right. Models D or L will not work with driver's floorboards. I forgot about that.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
ddking said:
cptdenny said:
Now I stand corrected. You are absolutely right. Models D or L will not work with driver's floorboards. I forgot about that.
I guess we're both wrong and right at the same time. :roll:

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I don't think there is much more to add on the MOP's accept to say that there can be a heat and leg problem on the left valve cover with low cut summer boots. I added a heat shield in dark smoke which has worked out well at the following link.

http://shim1.shutterfly.com/procgserv/4 ... aM2bNk0bMx

·
Registered
460 Posts
I had the Mik-O-pegs, don't know which model ... turned inward like a backwards 'L'...they were ok but I switched to the Kuryakyn ergo II mounts with the cruise boards. I have since added the Kuryakyn floorboards and heel toe shifter. Most confortable set up for "me".

I am either driving or sitting most of the day, therefore my legs are more comfortable with my knees bent somewhat. It appears to me that if you are most comfortable with you legs fully extended the Mik-O-Pegs are generally more comfortable. If you are more comfortable/relaxed with your knees bent the other options are more comfortable. BTW I only have a 30' inseam.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I am 6'2" with a 32" inseam and I think sometimes that I would like ****-o-pegs but then I realize I would be adding an additional risk to myself and my co-rider. In an emergency situation such as someone pulling out in front of you or turning left or a deer encounter or many others, a split second of reaction time may make all the difference. If you need to stop in a hurry do you really want to have to move your feet from the highway pegs to the brake pedal?

For me getting the Diamond seat that raises me up and back was the best money spent with no safety sacrificed. I have real knee problems but I find that simply placeing them out in front as if my feet were on highway pegs for as long as I can really helps. I can sometimes hold them there for as long as a minute. This works other muscles and helps me ride for another 20 to 30 minutes before I either stop or repeat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts