GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to ride my bike from florida to san diego ca , what months are good for this trip weather and all?? :?:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I would guess April or October. Both months should be warm, but not hot (except around Phoenix). I know those are the best riding months here in Texas, especially south along the I-10 corridor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ditto on the months already listed above.

Are you going to do the Iron Butt 50cc?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my plan is

ship my bike to miami ,then take a cruse ship from SD through panama and all the islands then ride back

·
Registered
276 Posts
I agree with the spring or fall. However, October is the Hurricane season. Might delay you for a day or two...

·
Registered
168 Posts
JUST ONE ITTY BITTY LITTLE PROBLEM.....

Luv Bugs. April/May Sept/Oct. Every year. Billions of them. The only known predator of the Love Bug is the American automobile.
They make riding misery and the clean up is unbelievable.
Had to take ALL ..... the plastic off my 03 to get them out of all the crevices and cracks this last fall. I will NEVER EVER ride in them like that again. I am still finding their carcasses in the cranny's of my bike.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Ok ? Ok ! I just can't take it any longer. Just what is a LOVE Bug anyway ? Is it a beetle, a June Bug like in Michigan ? Red posted a picture once and My lord it was really just a big mess ! So are they out only at night ? Whats the real scoop on these fakes of love ! LOL

·
Registered
276 Posts
They are called love bugs because they are almost always joined! :oops:

They eat rotting vegitation, which smells amazingly like exhaust from vehicles. Hence they hand out around the Interstates. There are a few ways to tame them. Spray the front of your vehicle with Pam, the cooking spray, then wash off as soon as you are done riding. When I drove ambulance, we used to but a can of Coke, shake it up right good, then spray it on the front of the vehicle. Wait about 30 seconds, then hose off. No sure I would want to try that on the Wing however! :shock:

If you have a very, very, very good coat of wax they will come off, but it is a lot of work! They usually only invade for a week or two.

Michael

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Love Bugs are out for about 5 weeks in mid April and May, then come back for about 5 weeks in about mid august and September.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
And they definitely screwed up the chrome bumper on my ford years ago. Clean them off as soon as you can. YUK.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts