GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mrs. DaveFromDenver another couple, and I are headed to Deadwood in July. I have been around the area a couple of times with experienced moto-tourists who I just followed around and had a blast. This time, I will have only two days to ride, and only about 5-6 hours of in-the-saddle time each of those two days.

So I was wondering if anyone would be willing to "route me" so as to get the most fun in for the time I do have.

On my list in no particular order:

1. Spearfish Canyon
2. Custer State Park Wildlife Loop
3. Needles Highway
4. Mt. Rushmore
5. Wind Cave NP
6. Nemo Rd.
7. Vanocker Canyon Rd. to Sturgis
8. Iron Mtn. Rd. loop
9. Sheridan Lake Road

If you have a Garmin GPS file you could send me I could just load it in my Zumo 550 that would be neat!

Thanks in advance... I anticipate a lot of good posts here so thanks ahead of time:bow:

David

·
Registered
608 Posts
Be sure to add Crazy Horse.

\

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Be sure to add Crazy Horse.

Like the man said Dave, don't miss Crazy Horse.

While there, be sure to see the short movie about a single man, carving a mountain, single handed without any government funding like Rushmore had.

It is simply awe inspiring.
The work continues today even though he died several years ago. The local tribe refuses ANY government funding of any kind saying that it would desecrate the sacred land.
The monument is many times larger than Rushmore, you could fit all 4 heads of Rushmore on to the head of crazy Horse to give you a perspective.

If you had the time I would recommend a ride up Spearfish canyon to Devils Tower and a hike around it for views like you've never imagined, but that's a long day by itself.

Hopefully we can talk next week at the RTE if you are there.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions...

What I am after is a "route sequence".

Link me to your GPS/GPX/GDB file if you have one...:thumbup:

David

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Just north of Sturgis is Bear Butte State Park.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since we are staying in Deadwood, I am hoping to get one of you who knows the rides by heart to help me with the routing so I can get as much as possible in, in just the two short days I've got to ride around... GPS files would be great...

David

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Routing

We stayed near Rapid City(Ellsworth AFB) and this routing worked well for us...4-2-5-8-3-1..although we did not do all in one day. Great area.. GPS was not a lot of help for me, I just reviewed the local map and made a few notes of routing and just used the GPS to watch the road mapping ahead.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Black Hills rides

So many ways to to ride the hills but I will give you a couple of sequences that I like. Ride from Deadwood to Cheyenne Crossing and ride Spearfish Canyon south to north (downhill). Run I-90 to exit 32 just south of Sturgis and ride Vonneker Canyon to the Nemo road. In the southern hills from Custer ride 385 south to Wind Cave National Park then north on 87 into Custer State park and the wild life loop goes east off of 87. After the loop take 16 to the Iron Mt. road to ride it south to north to see Mt Rushmore through the tunnels. Going west from the stoplight in Keystone there is a nice little road that follows the 1880 train between Keystone and Hill City. This road crosses the train track many times, it is not a road you can rush through but I think is is the quickest way to go between the two towns.

On a side note, although I really like to stay in Deadwood, I usually try to stay at least one night in Custer or the southern hills. Sometimes it takes as much as an hour to ride from Deadwood to the southern hills so that chews up a good part of the day just running 385 north and south.:shrug:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So many ways to to ride the hills but I will give you a couple of sequences that I like. Ride from Deadwood to Cheyenne Crossing and ride Spearfish Canyon south to north (downhill). Run I-90 to exit 32 just south of Sturgis and ride Vonneker Canyon to the Nemo road. In the southern hills from Custer ride 385 south to Wind Cave National Park then north on 87 into Custer State park and the wild life loop goes east off of 87. After the loop take 16 to the Iron Mt. road to ride it south to north to see Mt Rushmore through the tunnels. Going west from the stoplight in Keystone there is a nice little road that follows the 1880 train between Keystone and Hill City. This road crosses the train track many times, it is not a road you can rush through but I think is is the quickest way to go between the two towns.

On a side note, although I really like to stay in Deadwood, I usually try to stay at least one night in Custer or the southern hills. Sometimes it takes as much as an hour to ride from Deadwood to the southern hills so that chews up a good part of the day just running 385 north and south.:shrug:
Thanks, Moonlight, that's exactly the kind of guidance I am looking for!

David :bow:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts