GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For CSC owners (and prospective owners) only -

If you don't own a CSC – please STOP READING NOW - you'll only get your panties in a wad if you keep reading this, otherwise please keep in mind that this is my story, your story may differ.

Tina and I returned Tuesday from a 7 day, 1611 mile trip. We rode to the Smokies; rode the Foothills Parkway - the Dragon - Rt. 28 to Cherokee – The Blue Ridge Parkway to Asheville – Attended W.O.T.S. – the rest of the BRP (469 miles in all) – Skyline Drive – and U.S. 50 back to Cincinnati. Only 350 miles were on the Expressway. What a great trip. What beautiful scenery.

This past Monday, the 25th, we visited the CSC factory in Colleen, VA. We spent over two hours there and met the owner, the designers and engineers, the assemblers, painters, everybody. What a great group of people. We were treated graciously. I was hoping they might, out of the goodness of their hearts, give me an Escapade trailer :lol: (they didn’t); but I was happy with the T-shirts they gave me. I did buy a Delrin disc, silicone and grease for when it’s time to change it. Dgamage recently posted how easy it is to change, and every 20-30,000 miles is no big deal.

As you all probably know, the CSC is the only trike kit that use all new, purpose built parts. And it is the only one where all the parts are made expressly for a trike application. The CSC custom cast & machined aluminum differential was never a car differential. The CSC IRS is the most innovative suspension engineering design on the market and is based on Indy car technology.

You should see all those beautiful differentials waiting for assembly. They had some solid axle differentials also waiting to go into the 1500 kits they still make. There is still a very high demand for 1500 kits.

We saw the rear ends being assembled, the fiberglass being laid, the paint being sprayed and the final work being done. It was all very impressive. No assembly line here, it’s all done by hand. And all the folks that work there seem to really care about the product they are putting out. That’s part of the reason they are now sold through the middle of 2007. I am surprised that the CSC kit is so inexpensive compared to others. It must cost more to put in a new purpose built differential than to re-manufacture one from a car.

CSC trike sales were up 42% in 2005 and up 60% in 2006. They put on a second shift to help with the demand. One problem they have is their location. It’s hard to find qualified employees, and apparently they won’t settle for second best in any way.

You may have heard that there are some new things coming next year from CSC. I can’t tell you some of what I saw, but I can say it is exciting. The Cobra is just going to get better. I know it’s hard to wait when you want something. I have an acquaintance that wanted to trike his Ultra-Glide with CSC but just couldn’t wait and settled for a solid axle conversion. Now I think he wishes he had waited.

Converting to, or buying, a trike is too expensive a proposition to rush into. So if you know someone who is thinking of triking, tell them to have patience. And if you or they are thinking about getting a CSC, don’t be put off by the wait. I promise you, the CSC is worth the wait.

Finally - and please believe me - I am not wanting to start any controversy or trouble or debate on the board or Trike forum nor do I want to start a flame war. I really mean for this to be taken as my story, my post, my opinion and I am really directing it to CSC owners and prospective owners. I thought a lot about whether or not to post this, since I know some folks will not heed my warning and read it anyway and get all upset. That is not my point in posting this at all.

I don’t really think there is a “bad” trike conversion and I think most, if not all of them are pretty good. Each has their good and bad points. But, only those of us who have an 1800 CSC Cobra can know that we have the “best” trike there is and the new Cobras are going to be even better. Especially in the area of ride and handling, but that’s all I can say.

CSC – the Curve Super-Carver.

Now get out there and carve some curves.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'll second that! Could not have said it better, thanks Don.

Ken

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey Don, do I detect a little prejudice here towards CSC? LOL I just had to read your post even though you know what I ride. Besides, you haven't booted me out of the group yet. lol Later my friend. Harry

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Whether we trike out the Harley UC or get a new(er) Goldwing, we have decided that we like the CSC....we like the looks and I like the inards :lol:

As you said, all of the major players make a good unit, we just like the looks of the CSC better.

I welcome all reports like this on trike kits......

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Best post in months! You get the thread award! And you have the best trike to boot!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Beastie look like your getting ready to buy you a new one that ride better.as soon as they get them redesigned dozerman

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
...if I didn't have a CSC, I'd have a Hannigan! You know, I was kinda thinking about a black '07...oh no! stop those evil thoughts!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi Don,
Don' t have my panties on right now but just couldn't resist a comment....CSC makes a great trike and know that you love yours, as it should be....If you are a CSC owner, read no further - this is just intended for those shoppers trying to get info.... :?

You said"

As you all probably know, the CSC is the only trike kit that use all new, purpose built parts. Sorry, not the ONLY one - this is also a characteristic of DFT

And it is the only one where all the parts are made expressly for a trike application. Sorry, not the ONLY one - DFT's design even holds a US Patent...

The CSC custom cast & machined aluminum differential was never a car differential. DFT just retains the stock HONDA final drive.

The CSC IRS is the most innovative suspension engineering design on the market and is based on Indy car technology.
Right out of the CSC advertising jargon...

Please, no flames, just like to keep the story straight... :lol:
Charlie

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Don,

I can't speak, as I am all waded up...LOL

Although I do not own a trike, I will in the future. Legs are giving out.

Thanks for your insight, experience and opinion.

Bulldog

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love this board and especially the “Trike” forum. And I knew when I said, “If you don't own a CSC – please STOP READING NOW –“ everybody would read it. And I really appreciate the attitude you trikers bring the forum, although Charlie continues to worry about a flame suit but so far everyone has been pleasant.

And I will remain pleasant even though Charlie has tried to hi-jack this string which was mainly for CSC owners by saying
chaz_36 said:
If you are a CSC owner, read no further - this is just intended for those shoppers trying to get info.... :?
Charlie, you are free to start your own DFT string if you’d like, rather than hi-jacking mine. You claim to want to keep the story straight. So you quote me and then explain to folks that I have misled them. So since I started this I feel I am entitled to a rebuttal because the last thing I want to do is mislead anyone. Frankly, I don’t care what anyone buys. If everyone wanted a CSC, the waiting list would be years and not months. That is why I named this string For “CSC owners (and prospective owners) only –“. I didn’t name it “for prospective trike owners.” I purposely said, “CSC”

Beastie said:
As you all probably know, the CSC is the only trike kit that use all new, purpose built parts.
chaz_36 said:
Sorry, not the ONLY one - this is also a characteristic of DFT
While the DFT may use new purpose built parts, it uses the original swing arm, ring and pinion and rear brake from the Wing. The KEY word in my statement was “ALL”. The rear end of the CSC is ALL new purpose built parts. I am not demeaning DFT’s rear end, I was posting this for “CSC owners (and prospective owners) only”

Beastie said:
And it is the only one where all the parts are made expressly for a trike application.
chaz_36 said:
Sorry, not the ONLY one - DFT's design even holds a US Patent...
The parts DFT adds are made for their trike application - but again - DFT uses uses the original swing arm, ring and pinion and rear brake from the Wing, which are not trike parts. Again the KEY word in my statement was “ALL”.

Beastie said:
The CSC custom cast & machined aluminum differential was never a car differential.
chaz_36 said:
DFT just retains the stock HONDA final drive.
Add your point is? Once again, my point is that the rear end of the CSC is ALL new purpose built parts. This is not true of the DFT. There is nothing wrong with what DFT has produced, but it is not ALL new purpose built parts like the CSC.

Beastie said:
The CSC IRS is the most innovative suspension engineering design on the market and is based on Indy car technology.
chaz_36 said:
Right out of the CSC advertising jargon...
Absolutely – I cut and pasted it right from their website. What’s your point? That I didn’t say that?

chaz_36 said:
Please, no flames, just like to keep the story straight... :lol:
Charlie
No problem, I also just want to keep my story straight.

But since Charlie has felt compelled to hi-jack my string written to “CSC owners (and prospective owners) only” I thought I would mention one feature of the CSC that really appeals to my wife and her comfort. While the DFT, due to using the stock Wing parts, keeps the rear axle in the same position, the CSC moves the axle back a few inches extending the wheelbase for a smoother ride.

Charlie is missing the point of my post:
3. I have nothing bad to say about DFT. It is a fine trike.
2. The post was for CSC owners and prospective owners
1. Buy what you like. If you like a DFT, don’t let me disuade you. I happen to like CSC and think it’s the absolute best trike on the market, bar none. That’s MY opinion, yours may differ. Charlie has a different opinion and that’s fine, I respect it. I just hope he can respect my opinion.

If you go back and read my original post, you will note that I did not say one bad thing about any other trike kit brand. As a matter of fact, I said,
beastie said:
I don’t really think there is a “bad” trike conversion and I think most, if not all of them are pretty good. Each has their good and bad points.

Don aka Beastie

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
OK Boys.....as a prospective trike owner/buyer, play nice :lol: :lol: :lol:

I count on the information you experienced trikers have (a lot) in as much as, which kit, features of units, pros and cons....Etc.

I love this board, even selling the wing and buying a Harley, I couldn't leave...way too much good information here and too nice of bunch of people...... :bow:

So............be good, Christmas is not that far away and you know He's watching!!!!!!! :shock:

peace guys 8)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Don, that guy is a "wanna-be". He kept on reading because he wish's he had a "CSC" and then cry's because he doesn't. You just have to consider the source, a "DFT owner".

Ken L.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Darn, Beastie, I really wanted to read this post, but your restrictions precluded me.

Were you finally admitting your lapse (note I did not say "lack") of judgement?? If only I could have read the post, I might have known what you good folk were yapping 'bout. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
286 Posts
trikes

Don,
Wow...
Sorry you think I "highjacked" your message string. I thought you meant prospective trike buyers and not just prospective CSC buyers. I just read the description of this board again which says "This will be a good place for the trike folks and those who are thinking about triking their Wing to communicate"- it says nothing about brand.

Ken L.
"that guy is a wannabe?" :? not hardly, I'm very comfortable with what I ride and I'm glad you are - there is really no "right" or "wrong" that applies to all.

Prospective buyers (any brand)
We are just finishing up a 6,000 mile ride from Arlington, TX to Halifax, Nova Scotia and back thru Niagara (here today) .. triking is really a great sport and there are some great people - you prospective buyers are wasting time.

Out of here
Charlie

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I have yet to ride a csc, I have ridden all the others tho and yes I do own a triked out valk interstate. But it was triked when I got it so I have what it came with and am happy. Maybe at some ralley I will get to ride a csc as that is where I had ridden the others. I did like the DFT ride tho, but dont own one.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Beastie:
Great post, this is the kind of information I'm looking for. I'm thinking about buying a trike for my wife so we can motorcycle together along with our 10 year old son. I really like the independent rear suspension on the CSC. I have heard some trikes have driveshaft problems, what can you tell me about CSC driveshafts? Are they really booked through the middle of next year? Do they sell the kits for DIY installs?

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
No, CSC must be installed by a dealer or the factory. And yes, you will be making the best choice!!! <ducking the arrows as I say that>
So enjoy! It is worth the wait!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jim,

We’re always glad to help.

When CSC created their kits for the 1500, they made it with the differential offset to the right so as to have a driveshaft with no angle. This was unlike many other kits where the differential was in the center and the driveshaft was at an angle. It was a good idea then as well as now. I think Champion is that way and is probably one of the reasons Champion is so popular. In our informal poll Champion is always neck and neck with CSC.

When CSC came out with their Independent rear suspension for the 1800, it was completely different and was (and is) completely new and purpose built for a trike application. The IRS design with “A” arms, requires the differential to be in the center and resulted in an angled driveshaft in their current design.

There probably have been some CSC’s that have had vibration problems due to this angled driveshaft design. I doubt if there have been many. I know of one board member who said he had a lot of problems with his CSC and sold it because he could not get it resolved. I think he said the person that bought it did get it fixed though, but I don’t know for sure.

There have been those who claim they know someone who has had problems with the Rzeppa joint, which is the CV (constant velocity) joint at the rear of the shaft. Again I am not sure of any of these claims.

Yes the Rzeppa joint needs service periodically. The maintenance schedule calls for it every 20,000 miles. Some guys have waited longer to do it or have their dealer do it. It is not too difficult to do yourself. Dick Gamage did the service in 2 hours his first time and took pictures of the process.

As to the wait, according to the factory, they are sold through the middle of 2007. So if you want one you need to order ASAP. That’s not to say though that there are no kits available. Some dealers, in planning ahead, have ordered painted and unpainted kits and have or will have them available for install. You need to check with whoever you choose to do your install and see where they stand.

As to DIY, the CSC kit is pretty complicated to install and get aligned properly and the factory insists that their dealers be properly trained at the factory.

Jim, I will also send you a PM.

Don aka Beastie

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
S&W Triker said:
No, CSC must be installed by a dealer or the factory. And yes, you will be making the best choice!!! <ducking the arrows as I say that>
So enjoy! It is worth the wait!
Another factory that knows what is good for me??? They have NO idea of my skills but refuse to sell a "kit"???????...chuck...glad I am not ready to trike yet!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts