GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost embarrassed to ask the question, since I've owned the Goldwing almost 3 years already. On the navigation screen, occasionally a small square with like a mini map shows up, along with an audio alert to severe weather. I don't subscribe to the XM weather and traffic service so I'm not sure why I get this warning, and I only get it for some severe weather in the Chicago area, even though I am about 90 miles West of that city. My question is: is there any way to enlarge this little in-set map to better see where exactly is the severe weather that I am being warned about? I couldn't find anything about it in any of the materials I received with the bike on the navigation system, nor in the Owners Manual. Thanks for any help that anyone can offer.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Goldwing is a 2016 ABS, which has the built in navigation and satellite radio. I already subscribe to Sirius XM radio, but never renewed the free XM weather and traffic service that was free for awhile on the new bike when I bought it in June 2016. When I select "Menu" on the navigation system, several choices are highlighted, but not the "Weather" or "Traffic" choices. The mini insert map that I am referring to shows up in the lower left hand portion of the screen, about a one inch square so it is hard to discern any detail other than I can read the "Chi" for Chicago lettering.

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,943 Posts
My Goldwing is a 2016 ABS, which has the built in navigation and satellite radio. I already subscribe to Sirius XM radio, but never renewed the free XM weather and traffic service that was free for awhile on the new bike when I bought it in June 2016. When I select "Menu" on the navigation system, several choices are highlighted, but not the "Weather" or "Traffic" choices. The mini insert map that I am referring to shows up in the lower left hand portion of the screen, about a one inch square so it is hard to discern any detail other than I can read the "Chi" for Chicago lettering.
I agree with Murgie. Mine came on a couple weeks ago and I have never subscribed, music or weather. It does it every once in awhile when they are giving a free preview. Just an FYI.... When the little screen comes up with an alert, you can push and hold the zoom button in and it will come up and cover the screen. Push and hold it again and it will go away.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I should have thought of that myself, but I will try it the next time this comes on. As to subscribing to satellite radio, I have been able to get them to offer me the "6 months for $30" more than once. With tax it actually comes out to about $6 a month, which to me is well worth the cost. The key is to note when the 6 months will end and to contact SiriusXM at or prior to that date. If you don't, you will be charged the full $15 a month until you cancel. I just went through getting the $30 plan a few weeks ago, so the 6 months will cover me until the riding season is over and I will call and cancel the service regardless of what they offer me. Then next Spring I will call them again and try to get a good deal for the next riding season.

And while, to the best of my awareness, the music subscription does not include weather and traffic updates, maybe the weather warnings are actually included. I'll have to wait for the next bout of severe weather to see if that little screen pops up again.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The weather and traffic cost additional over the base subscription to XM. As others have said, you could be getting it with the free weekends, or someone forgot to click the right block to turn it off when you canceled your subscription!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
My '09 has the built in navigation and satellite radio, and during this free period mine showed the alert in the lower left corner, and I don't subscribe either.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Thae next time it little inset map shows up in the lower left corner of the screen you can press the navy zoom button in and hold for a few seconds and the screen will change to the weather map if its one the free trials .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts