GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jon,
Oh knower of all things GPS (and more!)!

OK, I bought the Iway250, and it is actually pretty nice! I think I like it, but in doing more research (mostly here!) I have come across the one shortcoming that might change my mind about keeping it... It doesn't do the bluetooth thing.

I know that has nothing to do with the GPS portion, but it would be great to kill two birsd with one stone and integrate the phone into the GL1800 at the same time!

What say you! What are my other options for integrating a Motorola Razr into the GL? (It doesn't have a headset jack!)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Simple. Take the refund you get when you return the iWay 250C, add about $500 to that, then purchase a GPS with Bluetooth with the combined total amount. :D

Bill

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
You don't need to integrate the phone to the GPS to connect the phone to the bike. The most-common solution to do this is to connect the cellphone directly to the intercom system with a Kennedy Cellset/BT2 system and bypass the whole GPS/Cellphone integration. (That really only became feasible with the TomTom Rider, 2820 and now the Zumo)

I don't know why you thought that the 250c would have Bluetooth connectivity - none of the iWays do. A $280 GPS that had Bluetooth capability would be a GREAT selling unit. Unfortunately, that doesn't exist right now.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bill, that would work... $$$

Jon,

Maybe I mistated myself a little. I didn't expect the iway to have BT. I had never even heard of a GPS with BT. I hadn't even seriously looked at a GPS until I caught the iway on sale...

Then I started researching on here, and found out the others had it...
Now, all of a sudden, integrating the phone sounds like a cool Idea.
So just looking for options to integrate both.

Looks like I have more research to do... :D

I'll start at kennedy... but that sounds like another $200 or more just to integrate the phone...?

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
daver said:
... I'll start at kennedy... but that sounds like another $200 or more just to integrate the phone...?
To connect a Bluetooth phone to the intercom directly (using a Motorola Bluetooth adapter) will run you about $295 for a plug and play installation (including the adapter).

If you bought a GPS like the 2820 ($755) and wanted to integrate the music and cellphone audio to/from the bike (including the phone audio), you'll only need to budget about $220.

How badly do you want to talk on the phone while you're riding or integrate the phone w/your GPS (and the bike)?

LaMont, everybody should use that image as the Bluetooth logo! :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Blue tooth helmet headset

An alternative is to get the ScalaRider Bluetooth helmet headset.

The quality and clarity is awsome. I use it daily and am able to cruise at 75 and talk on the phone.

Its built in noice cancelling and auto volume work incredibly well.

I have it for sale for $120

For more info, go to www.mountinginnovations.com or call me at 512-699-8611

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Barry, I already have a headset. You have anything that will use my existing hardware?

David M.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Blue tooth helmet headset

David,

J & M has an in-line bluetooth module that they are working on and have stated that they will release it in the spring of 2007. (no price yet)

http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=30

Kennedy technologies has the CellSet MC/BT2 http://www.cellset.com/mcbt2.html
The cost is $99.00 for the base + cell phone harnes + intercom harness. The total can set you back between $170 - $295 depending on your configuration and cell phone.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I was thinking for some reason with my limited knowledge of bluetooth and GPS. I was thinking the phone would marry (connect) to the GPS like it would a headset. I did not know more stuff would be needed to be purchased. I was thinking of the 2820 so I would not have to buy all of the additional cables and now I would just need a few less.
The $220 you speak of, is that also including the power and audio cords to interface the GPS witth he intercom/power supply of the wing?

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
SC Steve said:
... I was thinking the phone would marry (connect) to the GPS like it would a headset. I did not know more stuff would be needed to be purchased.
The 2820 comes with NO cabling or accessories to allow you to connect it to the bike, so how would you expect the audio output to get into the bike or your microphone signal would get to the GPS (and then the phone)?

I was thinking of the 2820 so I would not have to buy all of the additional cables and now I would just need a few less.
Buying the 2820 is like purchasing dinner ala carte - you have to add the extras you want, based on your own needs.

The $220 you speak of, is that also including the power and audio cords to interface the GPS witth he intercom/power supply of the wing?
If you want all of the features of the 2820 (XM radio, MP3 player AND the cellphone functionality) the Kennedy parts will run you $215. This includes everything you need for a plug and play installation. (Some vendors even discount their prices below MSRP ;) ) IF you want the XM radio don't forget you'll have to buy the XM receiver separately - it is not included in the 2820 package.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Thanks Jon for clearing that up for me some. I was not thinking about the mic. When I read the post this morning, (after working the night shift) I was thinking that was in addtion to the regular audio and power cords. If you wanted to have BT on the bike, you would have to speand 220. Then if you wanted power and audio cords, you would have to spend more. The price seems to be more reasonable after explaining and my nap. As the wife would tell me, you have to pay to play. Thanks Jon for setting me straight.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
oldtags said:
LOL LaMont!! It took me a couple to pick up on the BLUE TOOTH
hahaha.....me too........and if you be good....maybe for Christmas, Santa will bring ya a toothbrush?? :)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
IF you want the XM radio don't forget you'll have to buy the XM receiver separately - it is not included in the 2820 package.
Which costs another $200+ if I'm not mistaken!?

Pardon me for jumping in.....but I'm in the market also, and tyuring to get my facts straight. This is a good thread for me......I'm torn between the 2820 and ZUMO.

Let me ask this as long as I'm hijacking........do all the GPS's that have mp3. BT, (maybe XM) require basically the same $ for intergration to the bike?

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Yes, the XM receiver will add over $200 to the overall system price.

The Kennedy Zumo-specific harness is not finished yet, but you could probably use the 2820 pricing for budgeting purposes.

I just put together a couple of 2820 packages for $1,219 delivered which included the GPS, XM receiver, Kennedy integration system and RAM cradles.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
And don't forget the monthly XM charges after the hardware purchase.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I just put together a couple of 2820 packages for $1,219 delivered which included the GPS, XM receiver, Kennedy integration system and RAM cradles.
Thank you Jon.......very helpful info.......now I know what to tell Santa it wll cost HER! :wink:

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
steve s said:
Thank you Jon.......very helpful info.......now I know what to tell Santa it wll cost HER! :wink:
My point exactly..I might have to delete the XM antennae/reciever. But I will probably add that later. Instead of ram mounts, how about the dash mount for my Tulsa. Thanks Jon as I know these post can get aggrevating.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts