GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since some of you Wingers may be 20 year military, full or part time: Today I visited a Tri-Care rep at the Gap. I happen to be National Guard retired - here is what I found:

60 - 65: Once you get processed with your retirement ID, you are automatically entered into basic coverage, and can use your ID to get prescriptions & have medical bills sent/billed to Tri-Care. If your physician does not subscribe, then get a bill, make a copy & send it in. Found out that CVS has an agreement with Tri-Care for prescriptions, just talk to the pharmacist & show your card.

But, for an additional $460/year, you can get Tri-Care Plus AS LONG AS you get your medical care from a PRIMARY SOURCE. In my case, this means driving from Lebanon to Carlisle. Of course, if this is your only medical coverage, I'd travel as the cost is so low.

65 & over: Before age 65, you must enroll in Medicare Parts A & B. Tri-Care is now free for life. Also, have your ID card updated to reflect that you have Medicare A & B.

A spouse is covered under you for life, but you must initially sign up your spouse with the ID card, which must be renewed ever 4 years and at the time of any additions of Medicare until age 75, after which your spouse is good for life. Spouse is still covered if you die first.

IMPORTANT! If you are going to use Tri-Care benefits, DO NOT GET PART D MEDICARE! Tri-Care is a CREDIBLE INSURANCE program, and as such will NOT work to your benefit if you get Part D. In fact, if you have any credible medical insurance, you do NOT need Part D.

Several military posts do a retirement day event, at which time there usually is a Tri-Care seminar.

I also got more websites:

www.hnfs.net for Tri-Care / Healthnet

www.tricare.osd.mil for Tri-Care Main

If you visit my website & click on the Retired Army pin at the top, you will open the Retired 63rd Army Band website, where I have additional links.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mil Beneifts

Greta to know. I will start collecting in about 15 years when I get to age 60. I am reired ANG.

·
Registered
96 Posts
20 year military retirement

Thanks John for the info. I know this makes it a lot clearer than when Tri-Care tried to tell the facts. I just retired from the Navy with 6years active and 30 years Coast Guard Reserve on 1 July ' 06. Started drawing my retirement the next month after retiring. Life is good. More time now to ride. Just signed up for Cats-Cade ' 07 in June. Ride Safe and "Ride with Pride"

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also have a small website for retirees of the 63rd Army Band.
You may click the Army pin at the top of my website, or just visit:

http://jkgraphics.com/63.html

then check the Tri-Care link. I've emailed the Sargent who worked with me today for any additional/corrections. Anything new will be added to this site.

Murphy's Law was in effect! Mistakes were made in my orders and for the spouse social security number. You really have to check everything yourself. Check twice!

·
Registered
977 Posts
If you are Tri-Care eligible in ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, NY, NJ, MD, DC & area, LA, TX, WA you can join US Family Health Plan (which IS Tri- Care) administered by regional civilian hospitals for Tri-Care, where you can retain your existing civilian physician, use local Lab Corp labs, local pharmacies, and Maxxor 90 day mail prescriptions.

WWW.USFHP.COM

·
Registered
392 Posts
If you're on Tri-Care Prime you can also get your prescriptions filled at many pharmacies for only $3.00 per perscription (we use the Winn Dixie or Walmart Pharmacies). Of course getting them filled through the military medical channels saves the money altogether.

I'm just glad that after retiring from the regular Army I have this benefit because I see others I'm working with and how much money they have to pay for health care.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the info I am hoping to retire Jan 08 if the AF releases me form my active duty service commitment. But its not looking good right now. I think they may try to get one more deployment out of my this will be OEF #6.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts