GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery is dead and when I connect the trikle charger the charging light will not come on on the charger indicating that the battery is charging. The battery is only one month old. What could I be doing wrong?

·
Registered
687 Posts
First, check the power to where the charger is plugged in. Stranger things have happened. Then check the polarity of your connections. Not sure where to go from there.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
You could have a defective battery. Try a different charger and if it doesn't work, take it back and see if they will replace it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If its totally dead, as if you left the key on, the trickle charger might not see the battery there at all. You might try turning on the key to the ACC for a few minutes and see if the charger lights up and starts charging.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
What is the history regarding how it went dead? Did it just suddenly stop working, or did it gradually die down and out? Did you deep cycle it (leave a circuit on and fully discharged it)? Sudden death may well be a broken internal connection. Gradual depleation while riding may be flaw in charging system. A deep cycled starting battery may never fully recover, but see the post above about getting an automated charger to charge it or use a manual charger at about 2 amps current to get it up enough for the automated circuit to "see" it, a couple of hours should do - but do not leave it longer as hydrogen gas may build-up.

prs

·
Registered
20,945 Posts
i ain't smart but exactly what kind of charger are u using ?

most battery tender-maintainer type chargers will not charge a completly dead battery, they have to have something like 4 volts or they simply won't work, i think they are designed that way to prevent damaging the charger

if u have a regular battery charger sitting around try hooking that up for 10-20 minutes to bring the volts up then a battery tender type charger should work to properly finish charging, after its fully charged i would take it somewhere where they can load test the battery and tell u if its any good, most places will load test batteries for FREE

hopefully your battery is not just done for

·
Registered
345 Posts
My battery is dead and when I connect the trikle charger the charging light will not come on on the charger indicating that the battery is charging. The battery is only one month old. What could I be doing wrong?
(1) the battery could be NO GOOD, I have seen that a few times with a new battery.

(2) the next question is, is there a power drain in the battery when the bike or trike is NOT on or running...? Have a friend with a car a Volvo and he has had it in the shop so many times it spends more time in there then on the road...and no one seems to be able to find this low level power drain that in 3 days the battery is dead. The kicker is, it comes and goes...one day its pulling about 1 amp...the next day all is fine...comes and goes and yet everything works fine.

(3) have you had this dead battery problem before...or is this something new ever since the NEW battery went in...? If no history of it before, could be the battery is no good to start with.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
Charge it with a battery charger, after the battery is disconnected from the bike...

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I'm not one of the smart guys, but that never stopped me. :lol:

To reinforce what some others have said, with a dead battery, a battery maintainer, (the wall wart type) is not what you want to use. That is not what they are designed for.

You need an actual battery charger that has a low current charge mode, somewhere around 2 amps. Monitor the charging.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The worst thing to use is a car battery charger....they can boil the battery. There is two ways to charge a battery....with VOLTAGE or with Current. The best is with CURRENT, however those charger are hard to find...and often big buck in most cases.

If you use a car battery charger...ONE HOUR...thats it...then go to a trickle charger...

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The worst thing to use is a car battery charger....they can boil the battery. There is two ways to charge a battery....with VOLTAGE or with Current. The best is with CURRENT, however those charger are hard to find...and often big buck in most cases.

If you use a car battery charger...ONE HOUR...thats it...then go to a trickle charger...
:shrug:Voltage or a Current???

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,189 Posts
The schumacher speed charge from Walmart works great, just set it for 2A charge and AGM and it will charge it and switch to maintain/float mode when it's done. Less than $50 and is going strong after 7 years.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts

I'm sure you meant something else and your keyboard just typed it wrong.

All chargers use both voltage and current during charging.

Chargers can sometimes be classified as constant current or constant voltage. But most are capable of both, depending on what stage of charging the battery is at. They almost always start out as a constant current.

The warning about car chargers is a good one. But most inexpensive car chargers can boil a car battery as quickly as a motorcycle battery. You never want to leave one of these chargers unattended for extended periods of time, no matter what type of battery it is. If the battery charger is designed to charge AGM batteries, it can be safely used.

Just stick with a low charge rate, 2 amps or less.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
That smart guy thing automatically excludes me....

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
The worst thing to use is a car battery charger....they can boil the battery. There is two ways to charge a battery....with VOLTAGE or with Current. The best is with CURRENT,...

"OMG" = Ohm my gawd! ;-)

The voltage or potential electron difference or "pressure" has to be higher than the state of charge of the battery and typically a little bit higher than the full charge state; 13 to 14 volts is pretty good for a lead acid battery that hopes to be 12.8 volts at full charge. The current or rate of electron flow through the battery and a nice slow charge can be had at about 10% of a lead acid battery's storage capacity, in our case about 2 amps for the 18 amp hour rated battery is good without much risk of gassing-off too much hydrogen over a 10 hour period. So, it takes both voltage and amperage to get a charge. Then again, maybe I don't know watt I'm talk'n about. Joule doubt me for sure.

prs "I'm not a smart man."

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As you all stated, there was a problem with trying to use a float charger. I decided to use my truck to jump it and let it run to charge. I let it run a while still in my trailer which caused another problem. Even though I opened all the vents and left the ramp cracked, it built up enough heat to melt the cowl, windscreen nose garnish, front fender and side frame covers. So i'm in the market for some used parts. If you come across a damaged/wrecked Dark Red let me know. It is an ,07.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I recently left the key on for three days (the first time I ever did that, honest) and completely discharged my battery. I used the 2a charge on my auto charger to bring the battery back to life, enough anyway to get the bike to start. So I figured after that I could use the battery tender, which I normally keep connected when I don't plan to run the bike for a while.

The current the battery drew must have been more than the tender could handle and it never started "tending" the battery. I left it plugged in for a while but it just stayed solid red, indicating it wasn't charging. It blinks red when charging. Eventually, I went back to the auto charger 2a and fully charged the battery. Now the tender works. It must be due to the amount of current the battery is trying to pull exceeding the capability of the tender and some safety circuitry in the tender.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,189 Posts
As you all stated, there was a problem with trying to use a float charger. I decided to use my truck to jump it and let it run to charge. I let it run a while still in my trailer which caused another problem. Even though I opened all the vents and left the ramp cracked, it built up enough heat to melt the cowl, windscreen nose garnish, front fender and side frame covers. So i'm in the market for some used parts. If you come across a damaged/wrecked Dark Red let me know. It is an ,07.
Did it melt the chrome engine covers or the painted side covers?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts