GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not very good at wearing a full face helmet,95% of the time half helmet for me..I want to start wearing a full face more often..The helmet I have a nolan 103,Feels huge on my head Like a bobbly head..LOL,also heavy ,& very hot ..Here in Ga this past summer temps easily 95-105..

So I guess what I am asking is for recommendations on a small ,light,& high airflow helmet?..

Thanks All

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
A good place to start researching helmets is on the webBikeWorld site. Their reviews are accurate and unbiased as far as I can tell. The descriptions were right-on for the helmets I looked at before making my purchase.

WebBikeWorld is a good place to narrow down your choices to two or three different makes/models and then go somewhere you can try them on for fit. And, a more expensive helmet is not necessarily better than a less expensive helmet. Do your research and talk to riders who are using the helmets you are interested in. Helmet choice/selection is important. If it's comfortable and you like it's features, you will be more likely to wear it. Anyway, that's my "sage" advice. ;)

webBikeWorld helmet reviews:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I am not very good at wearing a full face helmet,95% of the time half helmet for me..I want to start wearing a full face more often..The helmet I have a nolan 103,Feels huge on my head Like a bobbly head..LOL,also heavy ,& very hot ..Here in Ga this past summer temps easily 95-105..

So I guess what I am asking is for recommendations on a small ,light,& high airflow helmet?..

Thanks All
Wife and I both have the Nolan 103 and yes it's a bit heavy but for us it's not a problem. I can't remember but it might have taken a short while to get used to the weight difference. We can wear ours for 12 hours a day without getting tired, but maybe we are the lucky ones that have a Nolan head.

We also rode back from Wing Ding in temps in high 90's without over heating just kept the Butler cups with plenty of ice in them.

Regardless of the helmet I think you will find a full face will seem real heavy compared to a half helmet.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
You would need to go to a shop that has several different makes and models so you can try them on for fit. No two heads are alike. You will get many "my XXX fits really well " type answers on here but would not fit you worth a dime.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
look into modular/flip helmets. If stuck in traffic or whatever, the ability to flip up the front for some fresh air can really make a difference comfort-wise.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
A good place to start researching helmets is on the webBikeWorld site. Their reviews are accurate and unbiased as far as I can tell. The descriptions were right-on for the helmets I looked at before making my purchase.

WebBikeWorld is a good place to narrow down your choices to two or three different makes/models and then go somewhere you can try them on for fit. And, a more expensive helmet is not necessarily better than a less expensive helmet. Do your research and talk to riders who are using the helmets you are interested in. Helmet choice/selection is important. If it's comfortable and you like it's features, you will be more likely to wear it. Anyway, that's my "sage" advice. ;)

webBikeWorld helmet reviews:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm
Just to add my .02 cents to what wingleader said, webbikeworld is a good place to start looking. In addition to their reviews they also have a chart that tells you what helmet brands fit the different head shapes best (round, oval etc.).

·
Registered
417 Posts
If safety is a concern in your choice I'd make sure that whatever model you compare is both DOT and Snell certified.
I mainly use a hjc 3/4 helmet, which I believe is only DOT rated. I also have a Shoei RF1100 Also, which is my choice for wet weather. In my opinion most less expensive helmets are heavier, and usually not snell rated.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If safety is a concern in your choice I'd make sure that whatever model you compare is both DOT and Snell certified.
I mainly use a hjc 3/4 helmet, which I believe is only DOT rated. I also have a Shoei RF1100 Also, which is my choice for wet weather. In my opinion most less expensive helmets are heavier, and usually not snell rated.
From My understanding when accidents happen,a good portion of the injury's come from the chin area.A 3/4 helmet wont do much there..Imop

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sometimes you need to think outside the box....
http://translate.google.com/transla...athisse+air&hl=en&biw=1240&bih=587&prmd=imvns

I have the flip-face and love it...although it is noisy, it's the coolest helmet for hot weather riding. You are gonna have to look online/overseas unless Airoh has began importing direct to USA...had mine brought in from the Netherlands. www.motowebshop.com

BMW had a open face version a few years back...another place to search.

Good Luck.
Interesting will have to look into this further.

·
Registered
417 Posts
From My understanding when accidents happen,a good portion of the injury's come from the chin area.A 3/4 helmet wont do much there..Imop
:agree:

I agree, I do feel I'm much safer with the full face. it's just a trade off between comfort and safety.

My last few road trips I have been bringing both, which takes up a lot of room. Next trip I hope to leave the 3\4 hjc at home, and just use the full face.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
look into modular/flip helmets. If stuck in traffic or whatever, the ability to flip up the front for some fresh air can really make a difference comfort-wise.
The 103 is a flip face helmet. I have a 102 and love it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
A helmet that fits is the first rule over all.
I alomst 99.99% wear full face helmet. at 95 to105 its just hot and Im hot without it just not as much sweat. Now I rode in Las Vegas with a Full face all year but here if humid its warm and sticky at 85

·
Registered
927 Posts
Fit is all important. Helmets have very different shapes. If you get the wrong shape for your head, you'll get one that's too large, to avoid pressure points. Which means that no one can tell you what helmet and size are right for you online.

This is one purchase that's best done in person, with a professional who's good at fitting helmets. It costs more and, to me, it's worth it, both for comfort and for safety. When I first got a professionally fitted helmet, the change was striking. I never knew that I was a small and not a medium, and, even with the smaller size, it was far more comfortable than a supposedly better helmet I had been using.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts