GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To a "newbee" reading the various tech forums, he could really be discouraged in hearing about the inferior lights, springs, shocks, fork tubes, OEM seats and other parts of a Gold Wing.

I have many miles on Gold Wings in the past 25 years, and am now riding my 12th and 13th Gold wings, from the 1200 to my current two 1800's.

I have not found any inferior characteristics in the original equipments, and have enjoyed every one of them: no aftermarket seat, no high-tech suspension, no up-graded alternators, and no heel-toe shifting.

I'm just an average rider and the Gold Wings have been and still are well-engineered for me. NEWBEES - If you bought a new bike, you have a great machine. Keep this in mind and enjoy the bike. If you bought a used bike, what you have is very uncertain in some cases. I have bought 4 used Wings through the years, and had to clean-up some various problems before I put them into full-time service.

Buy new, and keep the wing forever. With proper maintenance, it may last that long. (I buy/trade Wings just because I get bored and enjoy the experiences. I have never worn one out. However, during this time I have kept the same wife. Both of us "antiques" are just about worn out, and unfortunately, "up-grades" and new replacement parts do not exist.)

Best regards and Happy riding to all!
:doorag:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Nice post. I too do not pay any attention to the GL1800's so-called shortcomings. It is perfect for what I use it for... touring. Both by myself and with my wife. If I want to ride something fast, well...I have other motorcycles that go very fast.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I find the bike is damn near perfect right out of the box. I love it and have done pretty much nothing to it. I did add the Honda fog lights, and Honda Spoiler, Honda Carpet set. I put in a plug-and-play bluetooth module. Don't plan to make anymore changes at this time.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
However, during this time I have kept the same wife. Both of us "antiques" are just about worn out, and unfortunately, "up-grades" and new replacement parts do not exist.
Ummm, well technically they do exist, especially the up-grade part. :) And aint nothing wrong with some upgraded parts ;)

·
Registered
698 Posts
The bike is certainly fine as deliverd but it will be a LOT better if you do nothing more than adjust the rear ride hieght to the max (25) and install about a 1" spacer in the front springs. Cost about $1 to get the sag into something close to 35% vs the ~ 50% that it is stock for more clearance and less bottoming = MUCH better ride especially 2 up.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
On my fourth wing, a 1500, never owned one over a year,never owned a 1800, maybe one day.
Replacement parts - both knees replaced on this old 1951 model. So far :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
You have to realize that this is a large forum with a lot of members. When something happens and post on here it is hashed over and over, even though it is only a very small in percentage of the number of Goldwings produced.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I love mine as delivered from Honda. No need to change a thing for me. My Dad had a 1984 Goldwing and he changed about everything. What junk! Not the bike, the junk he added. I got rid of all of it and it was a nice bike again, but must say the 1800 is 10 times nicer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The Ride?

One upgrade I would suggest is the Progressive springs in the front forks/rear shock. Didn't realize what a difference it made til I recently completed an 1100 mile trip with another guy who hadn't touched his. Lots less bouncing (this from observing him from the rear). I replaced them on advice from a friend, didn't notice an appreciable difference, at least til I rode behind another 1800 that hadn't been upgraded.

Nothing that needs to be done before at least 60K or so, and loved mine the way it was beforehand, but in hindsight, I'm glad I did it. Came off an '85 1200 and loved it as well, but the step up to an 1800 was a HUGE difference. As far as I'm concerned, it's the ONLY bike. Was hoping for a 6 speed in the 2012 model, but it's hard to argue with perfection.

You know what they say about opinions, and everybody having one...

Jeff

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Thanks, Preacher Cliff. I agree with you completely.

I have added several aftermarket convenience items to mine but they are strictly personal choice comfort items not applicable to all and not needed by any.

The Goldwing is extremely well designed and engineered as sold.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
One upgrade I would suggest is the Progressive springs in the front forks/rear shock. Didn't realize what a difference it made til I recently completed an 1100 mile trip with another guy who hadn't touched his. Lots less bouncing (this from observing him from the rear). I replaced them on advice from a friend, didn't notice an appreciable difference, at least til I rode behind another 1800 that hadn't been upgraded.

Nothing that needs to be done before at least 60K or so, and loved mine the way it was beforehand, but in hindsight, I'm glad I did it. Came off an '85 1200 and loved it as well, but the step up to an 1800 was a HUGE difference. As far as I'm concerned, it's the ONLY bike. Was hoping for a 6 speed in the 2012 model, but it's hard to argue with perfection.

You know what they say about opinions, and everybody having one...

Jeff
Well, the one thing I did was install the Progressive springs. I/We do a lot of LD touring heavily loaded and I the front was beginning to sag. I suppose I could have put in spacers, but the Progressives were less than a hundred bucks. Anyway, lest we get off track, the Preacher was talking about newbees... not us oldies. :lol:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
On my fourth wing, a 1500, never owned one over a year,never owned a 1800, maybe one day.
Replacement parts - both knees replaced on this old 1951 model. So far :thumbup:
Did you go with chrome?:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I'm on my 4th Wing and second 1800. To date, the only things I've changed are the seat (went to a Russell) and the fork springs. After 75000 miles on the stock springs, I felt they were history, and replaced them with Progressives. Good move. It's much improved, but then, I thought it was just fine when it was brand new. Mine is an '05. I've messed around with different windshields, and am about to give the boot to the Tulsa extra tall windshield and go back to a stock shield--at least for the time being.

The GL1800 is pretty darned good right out of the box. Not perfect, but good, just the same. Looks like it will be hatching a third wheel in the near future, though, but that has nothing to do with the quality of the bike.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Well, the one thing I did was install the Progressive springs. I/We do a lot of LD touring heavily loaded and I the front was beginning to sag. I suppose I could have put in spacers, but the Progressives were less than a hundred bucks. Anyway, lest we get off track, the Preacher was talking about newbees... not us oldies. :lol:
I'm on my 4th Wing and second 1800. To date, the only things I've changed are the seat (went to a Russell) and the fork springs. After 75000 miles on the stock springs, I felt they were history, and replaced them with Progressives. Good move. It's much improved, but then, I thought it was just fine when it was brand new. Mine is an '05. I've messed around with different windshields, and am about to give the boot to the Tulsa extra tall windshield and go back to a stock shield--at least for the time being.

The GL1800 is pretty darned good right out of the box. Not perfect, but good, just the same. Looks like it will be hatching a third wheel in the near future, though, but that has nothing to do with the quality of the bike.
I love mine as delivered from Honda. No need to change a thing for me. My Dad had a 1984 Goldwing and he changed about everything. What junk! Not the bike, the junk he added. I got rid of all of it and it was a nice bike again, but must say the 1800 is 10 times nicer.
Huh huh...yep perfect out of the box :).

Fluke, yeah you can take what he says to the bank....he has done the miles.

There ain't no such thing as a perfect machine, don't make no never mind if you are talking about boats, cars, airplanes or even just the tools you use to work on 'em. None are perfect for everyone, all are a series of compromises, some are a pretty good set of compromises i.e. the wing but they still ain't perfect.

BTW, good advise, wrong reason. When you first get your Wing get to know it, figure out what you would like it to do and then find folks that have modified their Wing to make it better in those areas. Look at what they have done, decide if it would work for you....could save you a bunch of bucks and maybe keep a little "safety chrome and LED lights" where they belong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts