1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted on Fri, Dec. 22, 2006

FORT LAUDERDALE
Driver dies in crash with motorcycle
As the drivers of a red motorcycle and a Subaru raced on a major Fort Lauderdale street, a third driver got in the way -- and died.
BY KATHLEEN McGRORY AND TRENTON DANIEL
[email protected]

Racing and weaving down busy U.S. 1 in Fort Lauderdale Thursday morning, the driver of a red Honda motorcycle slammed into a white Toyota Corolla with such force that the car flipped and the bike was catapulted skyward.

The motorcyclist -- who cartwheeled twice before hitting the ground -- survived.

The driver of the sedan died.

Police identified the dead man as Michel Mouly, 64, a baker. The motorcyclist, Robert Collins, 24, is a cook at a Fort Lauderdale pizza parlor. He is also, records show, a registered sex offender.

Shortly before 9 a.m., witnesses said they saw the driver of the Honda motorcycle and the driver of a second car -- a silver Subaru Impreza WRX STI -- drag racing at a high rate of speed along U.S. 1.

The racers blew through an intersection at Northeast 13th Street as they moved south, a witness said.

Mouly pulled out of the Sunrise Square Plaza, at 1201 Federal Hwy. in Fort Lauderdale.

''He just stopped,'' said Mike Lowen, who saw the crash from his pickup. ``It looked like he was just frozen in the middle of the intersection.''

Collins then hit the Toyota's driver-side door. The sedan rolled, and the motorcycle and its driver went airborne.

'I thought, `Oh my God, somebody's got to be dead,' '' said Kelley Pedicord, 20, who saw the accident from across the street. ``I was in shock.''

The Subaru didn't stop. Police say the silver car had a ''For Sale'' sign on the driver's side. Police are asking anyone with information to call 954-493-TIPS.

Both the Subaru driver and Collins could face charges of vehicular manslaughter, police said.

The thunderous crash drew bystanders from the shopping plaza. Most, including a doctor, were drawn by the sight of the motorcyclist, splayed awkwardly in the street.

The man was miraculously conscious, said Merrick Stone, a pedestrian who was among the first to respond.

''He was in a lot of pain, but responsive,'' Stone said.

Mouly was pronounced dead at Broward General Medical Center, police said. Collins was listed in critical condition at the same hospital.

As the sedan overturned on impact, its trunk popped open, dumping Mouly's belongings -- beach towels, a gym bag and a dozen bottles of water -- onto the road.

Mouly worked at Croissan' Time French Galery & Fine Foods, an upscale bakery at the shopping plaza. A woman who identified herself as the sales manager declined to speak.

Those who knew Mouly, an Argentine native, called him an amicable fellow.

''He was an outgoing person -- he was caring,'' said Tracy Kemp, 29, who was married to Mouly's son Michel Jr. from 1998 to 2000.

Kemp said Mouly attended their wedding in Okinawa, Japan, where Michel Jr. was stationed as a U.S. Marine. The newlyweds then lived in North Carolina, where she said Michel Sr., cooked delicious pasta dishes when visiting.

''He loved to cook -- he was a great cook,'' said Kemp.

Reached at a Bergenfield, N.J., address, a woman identifying herself as Juana Mouly declined to speak. They are listed as co-owners of a condominium in that city, according to a records search.

Michel Mouly lived in a condominium at 5200 NE 14th Way in Fort Lauderdale, records show.

Collins -- also something of a cook, but for a pizza parlor in Fort Lauderdale -- lives in the city with his girlfriend, said his grandmother Cathy Collins, 60.

He was convicted of lewd and lascivious acts against a child under 16 in 2000 and is listed as a sex offender, according to state records. Collins was charged but never convicted of reckless driving in 2004, records show.

Last year, Collins pleaded guilty to marijuana possession, records show.

Collins' grandmother, Cathy, said Thursday's fatal accident caught her by surprise.

''He was on his way to work,'' said Collins.

:shock: All I have to say is, man life throws you a curve ball...

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
I.M.Winginit said:
Police identified the dead man as Michel Mouly, 64, a baker. The motorcyclist, Robert Collins, 24, is a cook at a Fort Lauderdale pizza parlor...
WOW is right! Talk about irony.... Hhehehehehehe

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The motorcyclist is human garbage. I won't lose any sleep if he doesn't survive his injuries. Doesn't sound like he was on the fast track (no pun intended) to contribute anything worthwhile to society anyway.

·
Registered
621 Posts
About 25 years ago a friend of mine bought a new Kawasaki ,I told him to be careful and not to get hisself killed.A few weeks later he was riding to work and a car pulled out in front of him.He hit the car in the side trapping the driver inside and the car caught on fire killing him before they could get him out.My friend stayed in the hospital for several weeks with multiple broken bones and other injuries.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The motorcyclist in this story wasn't innocently going to work. He was racing on a public street, thereby putting the lives of innocent motorists in peril. He was a worthless pile of human flotsam before the accident from what I can see...sex offender, doper. I'm pulling for the Grim Reaper in this case. He'll probably be paralyzed, so our taxpayer dollars will be used to feed, house, and pay for his medical bills until his useless life flickers away. My attitude may sound harsh, but I'm tired of playing the "Emperor's New Clothes". I've seen too much $hit to care about shitbirds like this punk. Not ALL human life is sacred I'm sorry to say, and this worthless, reckless, sex offending murderer pothead will not be missed by society, I assure you.
My apologies if I offend anyone. I'm not a psycho, but I've seen too many honorable, decent, brave patriotic young men die to give a rat's a$$ about some slack-jawed scumbag. What about the guy he killed?

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
Airborne06 said:
The motorcyclist in this story wasn't innocently going to work. He was racing on a public street, thereby putting the lives of innocent motorists in peril. He was a worthless pile of human flotsam before the accident from what I can see...sex offender, doper. I'm pulling for the Grim Reaper in this case. He'll probably be paralyzed, so our taxpayer dollars will be used to feed, house, and pay for his medical bills until his useless life flickers away. My attitude may sound harsh, but I'm tired of playing the "Emperor's New Clothes". I've seen too much $hit to care about shitbirds like this punk. Not ALL human life is sacred I'm sorry to say, and this worthless, reckless, sex offending murderer pothead will not be missed by society, I assure you.
My apologies if I offend anyone. I'm not a psycho, but I've seen too many honorable, decent, brave patriotic young men die to give a rat's a$$ about some slack-jawed scumbag. What about the guy he killed?

What would Jesus do ?

Besides you said "shitBIRD" AND fowl language will not be tolerated!!!

Matt(Ashland,MA) :a13:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts