GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand in the rear, you need to cut two sections of the round speaker frame to square it off. What did you use to cut the metal? My Dremel just did not like it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Howard,

I just installed the Sony XPlod XSR-1343 front and rear in my 2001. I am working on a writeup to post, but don't have it done yet. I do, however, have all the pics. For the rears I did the right side by trimming the edges of the speakers on two sides. I used tin-snips to cut through the lip the edge of the speaker and then worked my way into the flat part of metal. You have to be careful to not bend the entire speaker frame. After I trimmed the speaker, I cleaned up the cuts with a bench grinder (you will need to cover the speaker when you do this or else all the shavings will stick to the magnet):

HOWEVER, when I did the left side, I found that it is a lot easier to just cut some slots in the plastic enclosure so the speaker will fit as-is. However, you will still need to take a chunk out of the speaker frame to clear one of the mounting posts. I found some nylon spacers at the hardware store to use as standoffs so that the 'puffy' part around the outside edge of the speaker cone does not get squashed when you screw them down.

Speaker spacers:

It is diffcult to see, but this is the left speaker with a slot at the top of the plastic enclosure:

And the slot in the plastic on the side (this will be facing inward toward the backrest):

Same slot viewed from the seat. I just covered this slot up with a piece of electrical tape:

Both speakers mounted in their enclosures. The one on the right I cut the speaker edges to make it fit while the one on the left I cut slots in the enclosure instead of cutting the speaker. Note that I ground down the bottom edge of the left speaker thinking it was hitting the bottom of the enclosure. It turned out to be the mounting post that was in the way (I had to cut a notch out to clear that):

Hope this helps. Let us know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stopped by a friend's body shop today and used an air cutting disc and file and it cut right off. Thanks for the info. Now to test fit and hopefully wire it up and put it all back together.

Thanks,

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paul:

Thanks for your photos and such. I got the speakers to fit in the enclosures but in putting it back on the bike, I can't seem to get it to fit tightly down in place. Something is hitting on the bottom edge close to the backrest (if the trunk is down is is the bottom edge under the speaker grille). I did not think the bottom of the speaker needed to be trimmed and you note a post was in the way, can you explain or did you have that issue.

Thanks,

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i didnt need to do any cutting at all

for my sony xplod

Loren:

Thanks. Did I read somewhere that you had installed an older model, three way maybe. Mine are the newer 4 way and I have seen that others had to cut. I did figure out that the mounting stud on the bike is hitting the speaker ever so slightly and I'm not a fan of cutting the bike so I will trim the speaker alittle more. Based on Pauls photos, I see the error in my ways.

Thanks,

·
Registered
169 Posts
Howard,

I did not see a way to fit these 4-way Sony Xplod XSR 1343s into the rear enclosures (on a 2001) without cutting something. I am not sure if they are larger than the older model XPlods or if perhaps there is another way to fit them that we don't see?

If you look at that last picture I posted that shows both speakers in their enclosures, you can see the cutouts I had to make in the speaker frames to clear the "posts" (on the inside bottom of each speaker). The post where the screw screws in is small, but in the base of the speaker/storage housing that stays on the bike there is a much larger in diameter plastic post (about the size of a quarter) that the smaller post of the speaker housing fits into. That is what was hitting on the speaker frame on mine and that is why I had to take out quite a bit of metal to get them to fit.

I had the same problem you describe when I tried to "seat" the enclosures - both were hitting on something - it turned out to be those base posts. I did not want to cut any plastic from the base so that is why I chose to cut the speaker frames.

You might have to check the post on the other side of the speaker because it is such a tight fit you might have interference with the speaker on that one as well depending on how you positioned your speakers.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Howard,

I did not see a way to fit these 4-way Sony Xplod XSR 1343s into the rear enclosures (on a 2001) without cutting something. I am not sure if they are larger than the older model XPlods or if perhaps there is another way to fit them that we don't see?

If you look at that last picture I posted that shows both speakers in their enclosures, you can see the cutouts I had to make in the speaker frames to clear the "posts" (on the inside bottom of each speaker). The post where the screw screws in is small, but in the base of the speaker/storage housing that stays on the bike there is a much larger in diameter plastic post (about the size of a quarter) that the smaller post of the speaker housing fits into. That is what was hitting on the speaker frame on mine and that is why I had to take out quite a bit of metal to get them to fit.

I had the same problem you describe when I tried to "seat" the enclosures - both were hitting on something - it turned out to be those base posts. I did not want to cut any plastic from the base so that is why I chose to cut the speaker frames.

You might have to check the post on the other side of the speaker because it is such a tight fit you might have interference with the speaker on that one as well depending on how you positioned your speakers.

Paul:

You are the man. On closer inspection I found the same thing. Back to the body shop tomorrow to cut the last small section of the speaker and it should go back together nicely. Thanks for all your input.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Loren:

Thanks. Did I read somewhere that you had installed an older model, three way maybe. Mine are the newer 4 way and I have seen that others had to cut. I did figure out that the mounting stud on the bike is hitting the speaker ever so slightly and I'm not a fan of cutting the bike so I will trim the speaker alittle more. Based on Pauls photos, I see the error in my ways.

Thanks,
its been almost 5 years now

it was a 3 or 4 way, i would guess 4 way, since the alpines in the front were 3 way

so yes they could have changed the design

they were way larger than the stock front speakers

and combined with one of the ec amps, was very nice

i followed rattlebars web site for the idea and instructions

·
Registered
169 Posts
Paul: You are the man. On closer inspection I found the same thing. Back to the body shop tomorrow to cut the last small section of the speaker and it should go back together nicely. Thanks for all your input.
Howard, I am certainly not "the man" - I would never have known that you could even use automobile speakers in these if it weren't for those who tried it that first time and were nice enough to document what they did and share it (like Waldo). They are the pioneers. I am just a follower.

I do like to try to share what I have tried, though. Installing the Sony 1343s in the front and rear was a pain, but it was also a learning experience. I am working on a document to share what I did and learned. In hindsight, it would have been a LOT easier to just buy speakers from (for instance) J & M that fit without cutting and grinding. But, what fun would that be :grin:?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Howard, I am certainly not "the man" - I would never have known that you could even use automobile speakers in these if it weren't for those who tried it that first time and were nice enough to document what they did and share it (like Waldo). They are the pioneers. I am just a follower.

I do like to try to share what I have tried, though. Installing the Sony 1343s in the front and rear was a pain, but it was also a learning experience. I am working on a document to share what I did and learned. In hindsight, it would have been a LOT easier to just buy speakers from (for instance) J & M that fit without cutting and grinding. But, what fun would that be :grin:?

Ok, so you are the man for at least answering my questions (Loren too). What fun??? Sure it was a pain but it sounds much better than the J&M or The Polks I had in there before.

Thanks again.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
the sony xplods are well worth the effort

if they would have fit in the front, i would have had two sets

the alpines were very good, but the bass of the xplods kicked butt

·
Registered
169 Posts
Here is the thread where I installed 4 way xplods.
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/show...t=Finally+installed+Sony+Xplod+speakers+today

I too had to modify the speaker cage a tad to get them in the rear enclosures,But they went in with little effort..

I'll have to pull my rear enclosures to take some pic's one day.
Rocky, the 1343s look to be the same physical size as the 1342s (just different color and style). I think I see now how you did the fronts without having to cut the screw slots in the speakers a lot - it looks like you can angle the screws slightly (since the nuts they screw into are in those rubber holders). I never thought of that when I did mine - duh :sad:

I probably cut the front speaker enclosures out more than I needed as well, but I got them so that the speakers seat almost all the way around. Many thanks for your posting.

Here are a few pics of my fronts:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I purchased the Sony XPLOD XS-R1343 speakers last night, and made a great effort to install these damn speakers into the front speaker pods. After about 2 1/2 hours of carving on the plastic pod with a razor knife, drinking a beer or two (have to fess up here..5 beers) I still couldn't get the speaker fully into the pod and seated. I believe I've carved out about all the plastic that can be removed. As it stands right now I've put back in the J&M speakers I wanted to replace and have the new speakers still sitting in the box. Would anyone who is doing , or contemplating putting these speakers in their Wing, consider taking a photo or two of the pod (without the speaker installed) that clearly show the mods and cutting needed to allow the speaker to sit fully into the pod? I need to see how much more cutting is needed, although I really believe I can't remove much more plastic now.

I have also used wire cutters and removed about half of each screw mounting slot, leaving basically just enough left for a screw to grab onto.

Also, for those who have done this speaker mod, what position did you put the electrical connector strip in so to give it the most clearance from hitting the side of the pod?

Guess these Sony's may end up as dust collectors on a shelf until more info is forthcoming.

pauln: I see your pic of the front pod and I believe I've cut out even more material than you did....do your speakers actually sit completely into the pod or or they "almost" into the pod as mine were...couldn't get them all the way in (aggravating).

Allen Serviss Vernon, VT

·
Registered
169 Posts
I purchased the Sony XPLOD XS-R1343 speakers last night, and made a great effort to install these damn speakers into the front speaker pods. After about 2 1/2 hours of carving on the plastic pod with a razor knife, drinking a beer or two (have to fess up here..5 beers) I still couldn't get the speaker fully into the pod and seated ....

Allen Serviss Vernon, VT
Allen, mine don't seat fully either. But they are (at least to me) "plenty good enough". I posted a reply to your same question on the riders rally board HERE. As I posted there, I am working on a pdf of the entire install front and rear and as soon as I get it done, I will share it. In the meantime if you or anyone else would like all of the pics (front and rear) I took, they are in a zipped folder that you may download: Xplod-Install-Pics.

I thought several times while doing the fronts and rears that I would never get them in there, but I kept at it and finally did and as we know, several others have done so also. It is not a perfect installation, but they sound fine to me and are very securely mounted. I don't know anything about audio, I just like to work on my wings (I have one of the fuel injected 1200s also). Compared to trying to get the fuel injection to work properly on the 1200, everything I have done so far on the 1800 has been relatively easy :yes1:.

My 1800 didn't have rear speakers when I bought it and I was going to go with the exact fit replacements from someplace like J&M, but I read Waldo's web page about improving the older 1800's audio and I thought I would have a go at it. It took a lot of work, :cus:, cutting, and grinding. I actually enjoyed it though - it was a good challenge :).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts