GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a friend at work that has a c90 suzuki v twin. he complained the bike was a super pooch with wife on the back and rotten mpg. it sounded to me like it was over geared, i suggested he try to ride it in a lower gear. he came back to work told me it had much more power and got much better mpg. later i rode the bike, man talk about horrible gearing. it would run up to about 30mph in first gear with no real rpms. no tach on bike. at 60mph in high gear it was just of idle. and a major slug to ride. be careful what you ask for honda may listen for once. i rode my wing and was real happy just the way it was . figure the rpm you want it to run and slow the bike to the down to that speed . thats what it would be like. i dont think you would like what you found

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I'm not sure either why people want taller gearing on a goldwing. It cruses easily at 80 mph, has pleanty of zip off the line, gets around 40 MPG and lasts several hundred thousand miles.
It sounds like it's in the sweet spot to me.

Jeff...

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
That is what I think of for those that wish for 6-speed trannies in the Wing. I mean, first gear is for crawling speed only and I hardly ever used it for starting off because it is so low. Fifth is a nice relaxed OT as it is and just cannot imagine needed a taller gear. So all in all I think that the gearbox that comes with Goldwings are about as perfect (except a tad clunky at times) as they come. Not wishing for different gearing in mine anyway.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'm not sure either why people want taller gearing on a goldwing. It cruses easily at 80 mph, has pleanty of zip off the line, gets around 40 MPG and lasts several hundred thousand miles.
It sounds like it's in the sweet spot to me.

Jeff...
:agree:But a taller 1st gear would be great.
Paul

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
garcoal, that's a good point. Wrong gearing can turn any vehicle into a slug. And unfortunately, I think that is what many people who are against taller gearing are envisioning when people ask for a 6th gear. Two points I would like to make here however.

First of all, a 6th gear will not affect any of the gears below it. The bike will run just like it always did from 1st to 5th.

Secondly, and most importantly, those of us who are asking for a taller high gear are not suggesting that we want to lug the bike along at 1200 rpm. All we want is for the top gear rpm to drop a few hundred rpm so that we aren't running it at 3 grand all the time.

A drop down to 2500-2700 would make a big difference at highway speeds, and at those rpm's you still have over 95 lb ft of torque.

The C90's torque drops off rapidly below 3000 rpm. So it can't be compared to the Wing, and it certainly isn't a candidate for wide, tall gearing.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
garcoal, that's a good point. Wrong gearing can turn any vehicle into a slug. And unfortunately, I think that is what many people who are against taller gearing are envisioning when people ask for a 6th gear. Two points I would like to make here however.

First of all, a 6th gear will not affect any of the gears below it. The bike will run just like it always did from 1st to 5th.

Secondly, and most importantly, those of us who are asking for a taller high gear are not suggesting that we want to lug the bike along at 1200 rpm. All we want is for the top gear rpm to drop a few hundred rpm so that we aren't running it at 3 grand all the time.

A drop down to 2500-2700 would make a big difference at highway speeds, and at those rpm's you still have over 95 lb ft of torque...
precisely!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Just remember where you are. The same people who are yelling the most about a 6th gear are the same ones who would be squealing like a school girl because they had to downshift when going in to town or slower speed limits. Oh, don't bet the farm that all the lower gears won't change with an extra gear, they usually do.
As for wanting 300 RPM's less, get a 70. Yes you will have to downshift a little more, and the gears will be slightly taller too. 2900 RPM at 70 MPH, and it corrects the speedo on the 08, so it is pretty close. Only thing I didn't like about the 70 was the 8K life. Oh well we can't have it all, but that one is close for me.

Happy Ranting

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would be comfortable knowing that I can count on the 5 gears I have lasting to 100k miles.

I don't think adding another gear is such a good idea, lets make sure the 5 we have a strong enough to last with the engine.

my $.02

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
ya a suzuki gs500 will do 70 all day long without a problem :shrug:
hec a bud of mine rode his 500 over 1200 miles in 3 days at higher speeds

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Don't you get it?

But a taller 1st gear would be great.
Then start in second!

The GW has a large displacement flat 6 with a long torque curve. Less gears are indicated for an engine of that class.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Then start in second!

The GW has a large displacement flat 6 with a long torque curve. Less gears are indicated for an engine of that class.
No I don't agree with the guys that start off in second.
It is way too hard on the clutch.
I wouldn't want to buy a bike that had been always started moving in 2nd gear.
As I see it only those that have a total lack of mechinical
aptitude would do such a thing.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Gotta ask this as I am not sure.

Isn't the GW engine a high rpm engine and made to run/work/perform at the higher rpms?

From what I have been told it is the Honda Civic engine.

Just asking for my knowledge. :shrug:

Thanks

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
I'm happy with mine the way Honda engineers designed and built it. I'm sure they know more about the torque curve and fuel economy curve of the engine than I do so I'm going to trust their judgement.

If Honda offered a sixth gear for Goldwings some would immediately begin complaining that the bike lacked power to haul to extra large people and pull a trailer in sixth gear without downshifting in town or on steep grades and demand more power.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
No I don't agree with the guys that start off in second.
It is way too hard on the clutch.
As I see it only those that have a total lack of mechinical
aptitude would do such a thing.
Huh?:shrug:

I have never worn out a clutch from second gear starts on my bikes. Not sure that I know anyone that has. And I am very curious as to why you happen to think that it take little "mechinical" aptitude to start of in second gear. Please explain.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts

Just asking for my knowledge. :shrug:

Thanks
It is NOT a Civic motor.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts

Isn't the GW engine a high rpm engine and made to run/work/perform at the higher rpms?

Absolutely not. This engine is the exact opposite. It is actually a low revving engine. It is a low rpm torque monster. As far as I know, there is no mass produced motorcycle engine out there under 2000cc that can match the GL1800's ruler flat torque at low rpm. (The K1600 also has good low rpm torque.)

Honda's automotive division doesn't make a flat 6 engine for any of their cars. And no car has a shared engine/transmission casing like motorcycle do. So as others said, no, it's not a Civic engine. Not even close.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I would think that a sixth gear done right would give the Goldwing the best of both worlds, and it sure couldn't hurt to drop the rpms down on the interstate and improve gas mileage as well. I say give the Wing a sixth gear, if you dont like the sixth gear dont use it. I'm sure Honda could build a solid dependable six speed tranny for Wing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would think that a sixth gear done right would give the Goldwing the best of both worlds, and it sure couldn't hurt to drop the rpms down on the interstate and improve gas mileage as well. I say give the Wing a sixth gear, if you dont like the sixth gear dont use it. I'm sure Honda could build a solid dependable six speed tranny for Wing.

Why would say that? From what many say here, Honda has not done that with the current 5 speed.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts