GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd throw this tip out for all the new folk...

I carry an MSR fuel bottle with me in my saddlebag, wrapped in a towel. It is the 1 liter size, and they only cost around $13.

Made to hold flammable liquids (kerosene/gasoline) for backpacking. Very sturdy, doesn't vent or leak!! NO smell of gas fumes at all!

I have HAD to use mine a couple of times, and preventatively used it a couple more. Yes, I am a stereo-typical man who just has to stretch my tank just as far as it will go!!

I have even stopped for a guy pushing his ride (not much of a push, was a Rebel 250) with is gal on the back, cause he ran out of gas. Hopped of the Wingabego, pulled the bottle out of the saddlebag, poured the gas in his tank and he was good to go. "Cept I think he gal wanted to jump on with the knight on the yellow horse that saved the day :twisted:

Just be sure to follow the directions and only fill the bottle to the fill line, which is about 3/4 full on the bottle, to allow for expansion during changes in temp/altitude.

This is just the ticket to get you another 10 miles or so down the road when you really need it.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
loren said:
but i would never carry gas somewhere else on the bike
loren
Can't be any LESS safe than having to walk over a mile along the side of the interstate at 2am!! :D

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What Joe said! :D

You can find them locally at camping outfitters

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Mike,

I guess I am just chicken poop. When that stinking low fuel light comes on, I start looking hard for the next filling station. I could never stand the wrath of Meesh's friendly smile, when all she wants to sayis "you dope".

I also watch my trip meter. When I hit 200 miles, I know that it is not an emergency, but it is time.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol... I am notorious for stretching it to the last drop... lol

This thing has bailed me out more than a handful of times... sometimes when I try and make it to the next stop.. sometimes when I roll up on a closed station, or to where the GPS
there is a station, but there isn't...

One long walk was enough to convince me...

But sometimes having that security there is a bad thing... and is the reason I try and stretch my leg... then when I have to stop and use it, I have wasted more time than I would have if I had just stopped in the first place...

You can buy a lot of things... but common sense ain't one of them :p

·
Registered
21,331 Posts
usually on the way to Sturgis I will find a motorcyclist sitting on the side of the road out of gas. Dump out my water bottle and siphon some gas from the bike and he is gratefully on his way again. A clear plastic hose works great for siphon because you can watch the gas comming through so you don't wind up with a mouthfull, but one of those MSR bottles would be even better. Can the MSR bottle be filled from a gas pump without needing some sort of funnel?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Uncle Al said:
My fuel light comes on after I use about 4.5 gal. leaves me a nice margin.
The gauge shows about 1/4 full. :lol:

I always thought that was 3/4 empty. :D

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cycledude said:
Can the MSR bottle be filled from a gas pump without needing some sort of funnel?
Yup, nozzle fits right in the bottle!!
Just have to watch not to overfill, .75l comes pretty quick!!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
IBMike - I remember about a year or so ago when you originally posted about these extra fuel cells and I went out and got one for myself. I've since added a second one to my inventory and when traveling enjoy the peace of mind it gives me to know I have the extra supply. They have also saved my bacon on two times when I thought I'd come to a station only to discover it was closed. Sure, it's always best to look for a station when your tank starts to get about a quarter full, but surprises do happen and all it takes is one time to be stranded on the side of a road and say, gosh I wish I had one of those stupid fuel cells with a little gas...
I also run into those guys all the time on the side of the road too.

Good rec. IBMike!

DaleC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts