GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who attended Wing Ding, just curious which roads you enjoyed the most up here in East TN?

·
Registered
775 Posts
the road up to the state park in Caryville on Friday :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
on a serious note, Debbie and I left southern Indiana two weeks ago Friday, rode 3700 miles, with less than 500 of that on the interstate. The other 3200 were on the backroads of North Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, East Tennessee eastern Ky.

We met tons of great people, and mile after mile of great back roads. Oh, and the lunch at Cove Lake was great also.........thanks Whimpy.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Road the Devil"s triangle for the first time: ie Rt 330, 116, 62 and enjoyed it, Prob. more than the Dragon which I have road 3 times before.
Cherohala also a Favorite of mine.

·
Registered
270 Posts
US 129 from Knoville, through the dragon to US 28 on out to the Great Smokey Mountain Expressway. Great riding and great roads.

I also rode the devils triangle and I think that road is overrated. I was disappointed to say the least. It was one of the roughest roadways I've been on in quite some time. Bad patch spots were the norm. A couple of good switchbacks and 180 degree curves but for the most part, alot of it was long, very boring, and littered with rocks! I dont think I'm going to waste my time on that road again.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
US 129 from Knoville, through the dragon to US 28 on out to the Great Smokey Mountain Expressway. Great riding and great roads.

I also rode the devils triangle and I think that road is overrated. I was disappointed to say the least. It was one of the roughest roadways I've been on in quite some time. Bad patch spots were the norm. A couple of good switchbacks and 180 degree curves but for the most part, alot of it was long, very boring, and littered with rocks! I dont think I'm going to waste my time on that road again.
+1:agree::coffee1:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Rt 116 just after leaving the Norris Lake Dam. What a ride! What a route!

Dragon is not only overrated, but it is crowded.

Hell 441 was better.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I've tried to warn folks about this last year. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256233 There is a very active strip mine on the flat at the top of the mountain, and they have rebuilt the coal tipple in the valley. The coal trucks are destroying the road, and I doubt the state or county will do anything with it until the coal plays out. I have yet to ride it this year as it was getting bad enough last year, I didn't see the point. Maybe I need to ride it and take some pictures.

BTW, the road across Norris Dam is US 441. TN 116 goes through Briceville, Lake City, and then North to Caryville. I do the US 441 over Norris sometimes several times a week on my way home from work (a bit out of my way, but I can check that there are no terrorists attacking the dam while I go by).

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
On the way home we took the long way home and went down 75 to rt 30 and took it west to 70S. We had two other couples with us and they had never been on the road or been to Fall Creek Falls. I just love rt 30, not the twistiest road but it has some good bends and some great scenery!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts