GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting little small dings on the edge of my floorboards, right below the fender. 'Bout the size of pin head. Since my trike is candy red, they show up easily. My fenders have the 3M protector, so no problem there. Anyone else having this on the boards?? Any suggestions. If I knew of a paint that would match, I guess I could fill them back in when it occurs.

The front of the floorboard is no problem, just the back edge that juts out to blend in w/ the fender. I only ride state hwys., no county roads or gravel roads. Any thoughts.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Do you have the front fender extension? If so, how long is it?

Something must be kicking up small stones causing the nicks...bummer!

I'm having a kit installed this month and will have floorboards too, sure would like to know what's causing yours so I can prevent it from happening to mine..

S

·
0 Posts
I have the floor boards on my trike and I don't have that problem. I do have the Baker trike wings on, so maybe that makes some difference.

Tom

·
Registered
65 Posts
FloorBoards

What I did was to use undercoating on the inside of the fenders/floorboards. You can get it most anyplace then I also used Body Guard on the outside. I found that some of the "chips" was coming from the in-side.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Saw a couple last weekend that had a CSC with the ground effects. They had static cling vinyl on their fenders and at various places on the ground effects. I ordered some to put on my trike when it comes in. I ordered mine from:
http://www.dickblick.com/zz272/28/ which is an art supply store. It is 8 mil thick and you can cut to fit.

B

·
0 Posts
I have a lot of chips and nicks all over my boards. Especially in the front. Once I got hit by a rock (or something) that hit the front of the board SO HARD that it even took a little of the fiberglass. A spot the size of a quarter.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KYBLUE said:
Do you have the front fender extension? If so, how long is it?

Something must be kicking up small stones causing the nicks...bummer!

I'm having a kit installed this month and will have floorboards too, sure would like to know what's causing yours so I can prevent it from happening to mine..
Yes I have the Bushtec fender extender. I also have the trike wings. This AM, I called Champion, they referred me to 3m which referred me to a web site that sells sheets of the 3m. Same product as I have on my fenders. The distributor said fairly easy to put on yourself, or take it to a tint shop and they can do it. Later on this morning, I talked to a guy that does pinstriping, etc., for some of the large auto dealers, and he is going to give me a quote to do it for me.

Says he does it all the time for autos, ie 'vettes, Porches, etc. to keep rock chips off the front end. I will check out the product from Dick Blick. that might be an easier way to go.

Whatever I do, I will need to find a shade of nail polish, or detail paint fairly close to touch up the spots b/4 I put the film on. I am amazed that some of you are having NO problem. And Don, I just checked my fronts, and I have chips there also. Just not noticeable like the back of the boards.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slinkey said:
Saw a couple last weekend that had a CSC with the ground effects. They had static cling vinyl on their fenders and at various places on the ground effects. I ordered some to put on my trike when it comes in. I ordered mine from:
http://www.dickblick.com/zz272/28/ which is an art supply store. It is 8 mil thick and you can cut to fit.
Well Slinkey, that is the same concept. The 3M though has a sticky backing. The area I need to cover has number of curves unlike the fender itself. Did the couples vinyl stay put through washings, etc?? I don't know why high end units like CSC and Hannigan don't have that as an option. Can't be that expensive, and they sure protect the fenders. Maybe CSC does, but I know Dozier was needing something for his Hannigan.

·
Registered
255 Posts
WhiskeryGoofy:

I did not ask about the washing part, however, I have a static cling windshield sign on my Vette from when my SO and I were road captains for the caravan to Kentucky for the 50th anniversary of the Corvette. The Vette windshield has been pressure washed many times and the sign is still on just like new. So it should work on fiberglass. CSC only has the fender protection same as your trike. The film is cheap so I am going to give it a try and if it does not work then I will do something else. I think that the film from Dick Blick is the same thickness of the 3M film.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Whatever I do, I will need to find a shade of nail polish, or detail paint fairly close to touch up the spots b/4 I put the film on. I am amazed that some of you are having NO problem. And Don, I just checked my fronts, and I have chips there also. Just not noticeable like the back of the boards.
WG, Contact US Paint, they're the offical supplier for Honda Goldwing paint.
They may have the touchup bottles....

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
KYBLUE said:
WG, Contact US Paint, they're the offical supplier for Honda Goldwing paint.
They may have the touchup bottles....
Thanks KY, that is an excellent suggestion. :wink: :wink:

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
been a long time since someone said I said anything excellent. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have a CSC kit and the front of the ground effects are pretty well beat up. I stayed in the mountains earlier in the year and half way up to the cabin the road was gravel. LOOSE GRAVEL! Lost a lot of paint on that trip! One of my winter projects is to pull them off and repaint them. Also going to put some rubberized undercoating on them. I have the 3M stone guard on the top and sides, but have had poor luck getting it in some of the front areas due to the shape of the fiberglass. One good thing is my trike is black and touch-up is pretty easy! Area most beat up is on the front, the sides and back are ok, just some small dings. I put a fender extender on but still get dings from the front tire throwing trash out to the side. I figure it is just one of the things I can't totally control on the trike and am learning to live with it. Besides the overall looks and the ride make up for the dings IMHO.

·
Registered
362 Posts
WhiskeryGoofy, you can also check http://www.color-rite.com/ for paint. I think you can find your paint code under the door for your gas fill.

Bill

·
Registered
29 Posts
The first trip on my 06 champion and it looked like it had been used for target practice, so bad that I am looking to have it repainted but know the same thing will happen again, anyone that has these and rides has to have the same problem, I touched mine up with a touchup pen from colorite, not as noticeable but when the sun hits just right you can see every place on it. Wish I hadn't got the ground effects package, would have been less to worry about , fenders are enough problem. I think its because the kits are wider, my motor trike never had these problems, but I like the way the champion handles and rides better.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Paint

Just another comment.....US Paint is the only supplier of the "Illusion" colors and it is EXPENSIVE - most other colors are available from other suppliers, can even be computer matched at your local paint shop. Touch up on any color other than black or white is difficult because they require multiple stage application eg., base metallic color, followed by the final color and then clear coat. Rock dings are inevitable....you just can't cover the whole bike with protective film - I've even had dings on the tops of my fenders...JMHO :)
Charlie

·
Registered
373 Posts
I tool my Hanigan back they touch up the nicks on the fenders then spray the fenders and the runing board with a clear coating.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Hey all,

I'm a new trike owner, just picked my CSC up Oct 23rd. When I had mine built I had the dealer put truck bed liner on the ground effects. It seems to work really well protecting against rock chips.

See link for picture of the new scoot. www.omsi.net/images/MyTrike.jpg

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jbourg said:
Hey all,

I'm a new trike owner, just picked my CSC up Oct 23rd. When I had mine built I had the dealer put truck bed liner on the ground effects. It seems to work really well protecting against rock chips.

See link for picture of the new scoot. www.omsi.net/images/MyTrike.jpg
Well now, that is certainly different. Gonna have to give me a day or two to chew on it b/4 comment. Wanna mull this one over. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jbourg said:
Hey all,

See link for picture of the new scoot. www.omsi.net/images/MyTrike.jpg[/quo

BTW, welcome to the board. Glad to have you.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts