GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please don't post to this unless you've had the full monty done by Traxxion. There is a lot of stuff flying right now about this, I have a scheduled install in two weeks and I have a serious question that I'd like help/advice with from people that have had it done.

FOR THOSE THAT HAVE HAD THE FULL MONTY DONE.

Is there a large benefit to doing the rear shock assembly?

I'm 260 the SO is 140. The bike seems OK and she is comfortable with the stock rear end ( so am I for that matter)...........would I be missing handling or ride comfort without doing the rear end at the same time I'm doing everything else up front?? I have an 09 with 7K miles on it and am wrestling with doing the rear end.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I've had the full monty done and I think the ride on the slab is 100% improved over stock. A total difference! Yes, sometimes I have questioned my choice, until I get back on the bike that is.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I had the full deal done on my bike so I can't speak from first-hand experience.

A few years ago a local dealer did the R/R for a customer who then sent the bike's forks to Traxxion for a rebuild. When the mechanic reassembled the bike of course, he had to take it for a test ride. Privately, he told me he felt the improvement in the front end made the limitations of the stock rear shock stand out. The owner of the bike never complained so he did not say anything to him.

Hector

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
I really questioned myself about whether I should do it or not. I bit the bullet and had the full monty (no triple tree at the time). When I got home the wife and I took a ride and were on a road that was concrete slabs with those seams every 30 feet or so. My wife asked me "did they fix this road?" You could no longer feel that thump, thump while crossing the seams. That's when I realized I had made the right decision.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
On my first two 1800's I had Progressive front and rear. On this wing I have the full monty. The front end has made a huge difference but I can't say the rear has. I have been paying quite a bit of attention to it so as to compare the two. Progressive and Traxion.I am not a gear head or a suspension expert nor a racer but I have been riding over 35 years. The one thing I have noticed is that this bike makes me a better rider than ever before. I am too old to have gotten better on my own. I find I can put it right where I want it all the time. I have much better control in curves than I ever had. I have much more confidence in this bike than in any of the 20 some bikes I have owned. When we first got the Traxion my wife noticed how much better it took the bumps. After 14k miles this year she is back to grunting over the frost heaves. A lot of comments about suspension comes down to perception. This is new and it feels better but after a while it is the standard and we find ways it could be better still. If you are concerned about the cost I would advise to cut out the rear. It is my 'perception' that how it handles is all about the front. For myself I will get the full monty on the next wing.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Before I went full Monte and was still "playing" with different fork springs. What I found was as I went from Progressive to .95 and then 1.0 fork springs up front.... I felt the back end pogo sticking more and more when riding solo on a "stutter" bump section of road I used for testing. It reminded me of when I replaced front shocks on a car and left the old ones on the back bouncing around trying to keep up.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My full Monty w/triple trees vastly improved the overall ride quality of the bike.
It would be hard to quantify how much was improved, if any, from the rear shock alone, though I believe it is a major contributing factor to the overall improvement. I suspect only a 'before' and 'after' comparison of the rear shock installed would tell.

ktmhk53

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
I did the front one year"racetech valves traxion springs" and the rear a year or 2 later,:traxion spring and shock" The rear did as much for the bike that the front did.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
The stock bike is under-sprung and you are a big fellow riding two up....

If you are not satisfied, Traxxion will return your bike to stock and refund your money.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Traxxion

Absolutely, get the rear shock and the triple tree. Amazing difference in handling and a fantastic ride. Best,

DOC:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
get the 1200lb rear spring

I had my bike done at 2200 smile's and I asked about the heavier spring and they thought I would be fine with 1100 lb spring when I had it rebuilt at 45000 because I was having front done anyway I live 1000 miles away from woodstock I had them install different spring and it is really sweet right now!! I ride 2 up most of the time and am alittle heavier then what your combined weight is by maybe 40lbs.I ride quit aggressivelly and if there is a dip in corner and you hit it the shock suck's it up and it doesn't bottom out and is super through the corner's SO just loves the ride:bow:Have it set at 17 and doesn't feel harsh on the snap bump's etc.It's the only way to go:thumbup:. also had triple tree installed and that's a whole nother story in making it a super handling bike in all riding condition's:yes1: GOOD LUCK with your purchase!!!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Don't skimp!! You won't regret doing the rear suspension. Ian a big guy myself and ride 2 up with a trailer but even without the trailer the rear is so much comfortable with the Traxxion then stock and the wife really enjoys it better.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Please don't post to this unless you've had the full monty done by Traxxion. There is a lot of stuff flying right now about this, I have a scheduled install in two weeks and I have a serious question that I'd like help/advice with from people that have had it done.

FOR THOSE THAT HAVE HAD THE FULL MONTY DONE.

Is there a large benefit to doing the rear shock assembly?

I'm 260 the SO is 140. The bike seems OK and she is comfortable with the stock rear end ( so am I for that matter)...........would I be missing handling or ride comfort without doing the rear end at the same time I'm doing everything else up front?? I have an 09 with 7K miles on it and am wrestling with doing the rear end.

Thanks for the help.

Did the Full Monty about 6000 miles ago and the wife loves it. No more bouncing off the seat. My opinion is that if you are not going to match the front and rear, you may as well stick with the stock suspension. The rear shock is worth it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

I am going for the rear shock, parts were ordered last night via the vendor doing the installation, so Full Monty it is. I've got a 260 mile ride back home after the installation but will be one up, I'll let you know my initial feelings when I get home, not much of a riding season left up here so not sure how many miles I'll get on her before the white stuff flies.

Again, thanks for the honest assessment and feedback.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Good choice you won't be sorry.:yes1:

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Had mine done going on 2k now. Wife was happy with the stock shock but I went for the FULL MONTY anyway. She now sees the difference and is happy.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I had previous to my Traxxion fork upgrade had a Progressive rear shock and fork springs. Not that happy, so I changed out the Progressive shock for a Works rear shock. Large improvement over the Progressive brand. Then I went for the Traxxion fork upgrade, AK20, springs, etc. That was another leap in suspension improvement. I rode that setup for many thousands of miles. It was ok, but not quite there yet. So I ordered the Traxxion rear shock. Another very noticeable improvement in ride quality and handling. The Traxxion rear shock is set up to work with the Traxxion front AK20 forks, and I noticed it immediately. Hands down, the full Monty is better then any mix of springs and mucking around with supposed suspension tips and tricks. So if your going to go for the AK20 fork treatment, then by all means match it with the Traxxion rear shock.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
At 7K miles, you rear shock hasn't quite given up the ghost yet. In another 10-15K, it will be total trash. Right now you still have some damping, not that the stock shock performs very well anyway. The spring is way to weak for the bike, let alone with rider and pillion.

Does your wife make you announce the bumps yet? (Bump, honey.. Bump! Tracks! Big Bump!..) Or do you hear "ooohhfff" from the back seat when you hit a biggie? And your wife has to pull her shoulders out from under her helmet when you hit a good one? The spine collapsing WHAM as you hit a bump? If the answer is yes, do the shock now. If the answer is no, the answer will be yes very shortly, so you should do the shock now, and get it out of the way.

Since you have made the decision to do it, I will say that you are right.. After you get the bike back, you will know that you were right..

=Dave=
GWBBA #9
rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
At 7K miles, you rear shock hasn't quite given up the ghost yet. In another 10-15K, it will be total trash. Right now you still have some damping, not that the stock shock performs very well anyway. The spring is way to weak for the bike, let alone with rider and pillion.

Does your wife make you announce the bumps yet? (Bump, honey.. Bump! Tracks! Big Bump!..) Or do you hear "ooohhfff" from the back seat when you hit a biggie? And your wife has to pull her shoulders out from under her helmet when you hit a good one? The spine collapsing WHAM as you hit a bump? If the answer is yes, do the shock now. If the answer is no, the answer will be yes very shortly, so you should do the shock now, and get it out of the way.

Since you have made the decision to do it, I will say that you are right.. After you get the bike back, you will know that you were right..

=Dave=
GWBBA #9
rocketmoto.com
Kinda of funny that you ask that.

The last long trip we were on we hit some railroad tracks, I don't think much about it because I can see them coming. After that set she said pretty much what you indicate.........."Please tell me before we hit stuff like that, so I can get my rear end off the seat a little and brace for it"...............I guess that alone answered my own question ( preload has been set at 24 for a while now and pretty much does nothing) for large bumps................glad you pointed it out..............just another excuse to spend more money and help the economy! :thumbup:

Cheers

1 - 20 of 29 Posts