GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today heading north on I-75 to Chattanooga I stoped to help another motorcycle rider (brand not important) who looked like he could use some help. A few minutes later another bike stoped so all 3 of us are on the side of the interstate with our hazzards flashing and every big rig that passed us never offered to move over at all, even if they had no one in the middle lane.

Here is the kicker. About 250-300 yards up the road was a big rig pulled over and the trucks would go out of there way to get over for them, even if they did not have room to move over safely.

Mabe it just me, but whats up with this? I'm not trying to start a trucker bash, just looking for answers.

I know there are many truckers on here, I hope someone will share some light on this for me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
As a current CDL holder, and one who spent yrs in the trucking business; I don't know how to answer your question other than to say, normally if conditions would allow, most drivers would move away from the shouder lane or into the center or median lane out of courtesy or concern...why it didn't happen is unknown, but I would suspect that in most cases, if it were possible, drivers would in fact make an attempt.

Of course, the same consideration an/or respect needs to be shown by all, when possible, for safety's sake and just pure consideration....ride safe and enjoy.

Doug / AG5I

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have noticed that in the states of KY and TN this seems to be the norm.

I have run up I75 every tues. for 7 yrs now and I can't figure out why some drivers refuse to move over.
Personally, it bothers the s**t out of me when I see it happen.

I usually bring it to another drivers attn. that it is not only the safe thing to do, but the smart thing to do, all it takes is for one person on the side of the road to mis-step and stumble into the traffic lane and the result wouldn't be pretty.

The only thing I can think of is that they have never been broke down on the side of the road with traffic flying by.

If you can find a definitive answer to your question I will be surprised.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I drive and I find that there are not near as many courteous and safe truck drivers like there used to be years ago. So you take your chances around a truck nowadays I am sorry to say. Certainly if you're one of these bad drivers reading this, at least always go to another lane when you're passing a LEO with a customer on the side of the road. They do not go lightly on this one.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Maybe they don't like you?

Just kidding. :) How far off the road was you? Is there 2 or 3 lanes moving north where you was at? What time of day was it? Was the traffic heavy?

Phil

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Have never had this issue. My experience has been that the rigs will give you a wide berth when able.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3 lanes wide and as far off the road as we could get.

I could care less if they like me or not.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I ride my bicycle every day on a 2 lane road with a wide shoulder and most truckers give me as much room as they can. A lot of the cars do the same, however there a plenty of them that hog the fog line even when no traffic is coming at them. I started wearing my orange safety vest and to some that is a target. Last week I was heading North a a narrow road approaching an intersection. Heard a car slowing behind me and as I got to the intersection he cut right in front of me. Good thing I had left the .50 cal sniper at home.:eek:4:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Don't know why they didn't get over for you, but I know I try to get over for anything on the shoulder, just courious, was it just the trucks that didn't get over? I was broke down on the side of I95 one time and was putting the warning reflectors out, started back to my truck and heard a noise behind me, a pickup had hit one of the reflectors and just barley missed me

·
Registered
283 Posts
I drive and I find that there are not near as many courteous and safe truck drivers like there used to be years ago. So you take your chances around a truck nowadays I am sorry to say. Certainly if you're one of these bad drivers reading this, at least always go to another lane when you're passing a LEO with a customer on the side of the road. They do not go lightly on this one.
I've got several friends that are truckers and they will tell you real quick that the quality of the drivers that are being hired today leaves a lot to be desired. While there are a lot of safe cautious drivers out there, the percentage of assshole drivers has gone up.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Rivers ebb and flow. Traffic ebbs and flows. Bu##heads ebb and flow. Sounds like you missed the ebb that day. I'd say there are as high a percentage bu##head truckers as there are GoldWingers or any other group. Sometimes they gang up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
At the risk of causing WWIII, all I can say is that after spending 4yrs driving over 300,000 miles in and around a 100 radius of Tampa in a truck...you have no idea of moronic, unsafe, discourteous and darn right frightening driving habits exhibited continually by folks driving cars...

Frankly, there are bad truck drivers, and the problem has become worst with the number of foreign drivers, and undertrained rookies entering the fray...but believe me, if you spent a day in their shoes, you'd hold your contempt for their concern, skill and courtesy....and thank you lucky stars that each day they perform their job in terrible conditions, with meager pay, little, if any concern or awarness by the driving public of the their safety...

Now, the flood gates will overflow with anger from so many...it's just amazing...

Today while riding my wing from Flintstone Ga to Leipers Fork Tn mostly on I 24 and other highspeed roadways, I first hand wittnessed truck after truck pulling away from the shoulder for vehicles, of all shapes, sizes and configurations...must have been just an isolated stretch of approximately 220 + miles. While percentage wise, only a few of the cars/and or motorcycles did so...
Respectfully

Doug

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Some truckers must just have a thing about bikes. When I got caught out in the Memorial Day weekend downpour.....I was boxed in by big rigs, could hardly see for the rain and I turned on my CB just to let them know I was there and overheard them laughing about drowning me with the spray coming off the road. Took the first exit just to get away from them. Heck, it was hard enough to see with just the rain pouring down.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
I've got several friends that are truckers and they will tell you real quick that the quality of the drivers that are being hired today leaves a lot to be desired. While there are a lot of safe cautious drivers out there, the percentage of assshole drivers has gone up.
Yep. A couple of my wife's relatives have been over the road truckers their whole adult lives. They say that the number of truly professional truckers is dwindling rapidly. A lot of them are rude, drive dangerously, and often intimidate motorists.

I don't know if you came across this type, but reading about it doesn't surprise me.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Rivers ebb and flow. Traffic ebbs and flows. Bu##heads ebb and flow. Sounds like you missed the ebb that day. I'd say there are as high a percentage bu##head truckers as there are GoldWingers or any other group. Sometimes they gang up.
Congrats on coming up with the best response!!

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I thought it was obvious that most car drivers are worse than truck drivers. I even see LEO's with their cars way over the white painted line at intersections, leaving the big rigs not enough room to make a corner. It is not out of line to say that way more people are bad drivers than not. And about 1 in 5 cars has a driver who is texting. In my truck, I worry about those people. On my bike, I worry about me.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Have to agree with you. However,
I can see how some of the truckers got their BAD ATTITUDE too.

A few years ago while Riding with the 'Run For The Wall' group from Calif to DC, the road guards consistently rode in the left lane to block the truckers from passing. All the RG's had CB's and could hear the truckers road chatter. Some got down right nasty and talked about "running over some bikers". Not a good Ride at all. Will never Ride with them again.

thecruiser

·
Registered
188 Posts
i have been a trucker for many years and i can also say the quality of drivers has gone down alot...i have always pulled to the left when possible no matter whats on the side of the road but here in Ny they have passed a law about pulling to the left for emergency vehicles. i have seen every kind of vehicle out there pull some bone head moves and its just gotten to the point nothing suprise's me anymore. just be safe while out there among them..

·
Registered
350 Posts
A few months ago I was on a two bus charter to Orlando. On our way home the second bus broke down just north of the Lake City exit before the I75/I10 split. Since I was a ways in front o him when he called me I circled back and pulled up in front of him, and got as far off the road as I could. The interstate is two lanes each way at this point. We both had our flashers on and my bus was running. When the mechanic finally got there he pulled his truck to the right side of the bus, in the grass. Naturally we put out the required triangles and I was keeping an eye on traffic the whole time the mechanic was working. I was also suprised at the number of trucks that did NOT move over to the left lane when passing us. And this was at 1am so traffic was fairly light. I guess they wanted to try to cool us off with their wind blast as they went by.

I have been driving charter buses now for over thirty years, and before that I drove truck whenever I could find a part time job. I even drove buses while I was stationed in Germany. I've seen a dramatic change in the attitude of truckers over the years. In the 60s if you were on the side of the road with your hood up it wouldn't be long at all until a trucker would stop to help. Then gradually in the 70s fewer truckers were willing to stop. But almost all of them would move over as they passed. In the 80s the truck manufacturers would sell and finance a truck to almost anyone and there were a LOT of inexperienced "hot dogs" with shiny expensive rigs burning up the highways. And when the 55 mph limit was repealed it seemed that truckers were trying to see how fast they could go down the highway. Truckers stopping to help motorists was a thing of the past. I have heard from a lot of drivers that if you're a company driver the companies do not allow you to stop. And most independents are too busy trying to make ends meet to stop.

A lot of truckers don't like commercial charter buses because even though we are governed by DOT same as trucks we don't have to abide by some of the laws put on trucks. In most states that restrict trucks from using the left lane(s) that doesn't apply to buses. Buses don't have to go through the scales and agriculture check points in most states. A lot of roads closed to trucks are open to buses. So I expect some level of harrassment on the road from trucks, like waiting until I'm right on their rear end and then they pull into the lane in front of me. But NOT moving over for a disabled vehicle on the side of the road is just rude and dangerous. I always move over for vehicles unless I'm blocked in. But I have also noticed that on I40 the trucks act like they own the road and will ride in the left lane forever as well as ride side by side for miles. Same goes for I85 between Atlanta and Charlotte. Don't get me wrong, I respect truck drivers for what they do and what they have to put up with on the highway on a daily basis. All I'm saying is the days of truck drivers being the most courteous and helpful people on the road are gone. I'm sure their attitudes are governed by how they are treated by car drivers !!!!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I am a truck driver and have been for 36 years now. I take a lot of pride in doing my job in a safe and courteous way. Many times, a driver is unable to move over from a stalled vehicle or vehicles on the shoulder especially with heavy traffic situations. It is particularly difficult with a truck governed at 62 mph and traveling on an Interstate in 70 or 75 mph zones. Many States now have a "move over" law requiring all vehicles to move over or slow down in those situations. And as others have stated, the quality of drivers is certainly not what it used to be. With the latest impending regulations being imposed upon us I think the decline will continue. Add to that, our own government is hell bent on opening up the Mexican border to allow those trucks to travel freely within the US. Time will only tell on the impact of this. :22yikes: Rude behavior in or on any type of vehicle while traveling on public highways is just unacceptable but it seems it's also a reflection of our society in general. In addition, for some strange reason, I have witnessed some of the most deplorable examples of truck driving on I-75 between Chattanooga and Macon, GA. I don't know why...........but, it is shameful.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts