GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a serious question. When I ride my scoot on the weekends, I am feeling guilty if I don't get right out there and wash the critters off the steed.

For you guys and gals that ride your bike to work, do you clean it each night b/4 the next excursion. I would like to ride mine, but I dread the idea of doing a detail job every evening. I got no problems w/ the windshield, but the deep cleaning is more than I can handle each day. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
In the interest of full disclosure, :wink: I don't commute on it. But, if my bike is clean, I haven't been riding enough! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
868 Posts
I use a spray polish to do a "quick" clean. Generally on the front to get the bugs off. Then on the weekend, weather permitting, I give her a bath.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
k7lvo said:
In the interest of full disclosure, :wink: I don't commute on it. But, if my bike is clean, I haven't been riding enough! :lol: :lol:
K7, get off this board and back to the OTB where you belong. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
410 Posts
My suggestion, move to Las Vegas. I ride everyday and hit a bug about every 10- 20,000 miles. :D

We have a lot of dust but 70 mph usually takes care of that.

Sorry to brag. But riding year round is wonderful. And no bugs is just an added bonus.

John

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blizardj said:
My suggestion, move to Las Vegas. I ride everyday and hit a bug about every 10- 20,000 miles. :D

We have a lot of dust but 70 mph usually takes care of that.

Sorry to brag. But riding year round is wonderful. And no bugs is just an added bonus.

John
But John, how would a 60 year old boy from East Texas, explain to his wife that he is moving to Las Vegas to avoid critters on his windshield. But, if you can sell her on the idea, I am a commin... :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
WG... About the only thing GOOD about us living in Las Vegas is the riding weather... three months of DAMN HOT (but you can ride in it), a month or two of "Gee, kinda chilly today", and in between the two extremes seven or eight months of "Dang! This is GREAT riding weather!"

Property values have skyrocketed which is a good thing for me, (Going to do an imitation of today's typical Republican here) because "I got mine!" (Home and several rental properties) but a bad thing for folks moving from East Texas. Of course all those Californians moving in think that the prices are low. :lol:

Traffic sucks, our freeways often looking like LA Freeways. There are literally dozens of vehicle collisions a day because a lot of folks drive in the fast lane at 80+ with a car length or two between them and the next car. Not to mention using the "faster" lanes to go to an off-ramp (bypassing the line of cars heading to that off-ramp), then cutting over at the very last minute. etc. etc. etc.

And then there's the brown. About the only green in town is from artificially maintained lawns and trees, and the money tourists bring in and residents have to pay for stuff.

And I KNOW that you don't want to be that close to California! You'd be much better off moving to LandTuna's area... nicer weather, cheaper housing and a lot less traffic! :twisted: (I KNOW that someone from the Phoenix area is probably spitting their coffee all over their monitor right now. hehehe)

As for the original question... I used to wash my wing every weekend. Now it's only when the road grime gets too bad and then I usually pay someone to do it. The most I do now is dust it off and wash the windshield before I take my daily ride (Ok... 3 or 4 times a week) risking my life amongst all the idiots on the Las Vegas roads as I head to or from work.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LVWolfman said:
WG... About the only thing GOOD about us living in Las Vegas is the riding weather... three months of DAMN HOT (but you can ride in it), a month or two of "Gee, kinda chilly today", and in between the two extremes seven or eight months of "Dang! This is GREAT riding weather!"

Property values have skyrocketed which is a good thing for me, (Going to do an imitation of today's typical Republican here) because "I got mine!" (Home and several rental properties) but a bad thing for folks moving from East Texas. Of course all those Californians moving in think that the prices are low. :lol:

Traffic sucks, our freeways often looking like LA Freeways. There are literally dozens of vehicle collisions a day because a lot of folks drive in the fast lane at 80+ with a car length or two between them and the next car. Not to mention using the "faster" lanes to go to an off-ramp (bypassing the line of cars heading to that off-ramp), then cutting over at the very last minute. etc. etc. etc.

And then there's the brown. About the only green in town is from artificially maintained lawns and trees, and the money tourists bring in and residents have to pay for stuff.

And I KNOW that you don't want to be that close to California! You'd be much better off moving to LandTuna's area... nicer weather, cheaper housing and a lot less traffic! :twisted: (I KNOW that someone from the Phoenix area is probably spitting their coffee all over their monitor right now. hehehe)

As for the original question... I used to wash my wing every weekend. Now it's only when the road grime gets too bad and then I usually pay someone to do it. The most I do now is dust it off and wash the windshield before I take my daily ride (Ok... 3 or 4 times a week) risking my life amongst all the idiots on the Las Vegas roads as I head to or from work.
Damn Rick, you have become a ***** for the Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce. :lol: :lol:

Well, I assume most you good folk that ride every day, don't waste time cleaning every nite???? I trust I am right???

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
WhiskeryGoofy said:
k7lvo said:
K7, get off this board and back to the OTB where you belong. :lol: :lol:
Wha---??? Hey, I saw your post and thought I WAS on the OT board! :wink:

·
Registered
332 Posts
I ride to work nearly every day (night). 19,400 miles since Feb 1. I work at night so I get a lot of bugs on my ride into work each night during the summer. Not so many now. I use a quick detailer that matches the wax/polish I use on the bike to clean the bugs off both the windshield and the front of the bike. I use a microfiber cloth and in about 5 minutes or less, the bike is pristine and off I go. I usually do this in the morning right here at work in the parking lot before I head out for home. I rarely get bugs in the morning so it stays pretty clean on the return trip.
I do a similar routine with my car when I have to drive it to work and it stays looking sharp too.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
...my first year not having to put the bike away and I was just thinking about how shi_ _y my bike looked. I ride it to work most days and when I was up north had less bugs but also rode less.

I figure that the riding is more fun than the bike looking pristine all the time so I do a quick shot with the Honda Spray if it's REALLY bad and on the weekend I shoot it up with Honda Cleaner and/or Krudcutter, let it sit a few and rinse it off...I'm learning to cope with the dirty bike in favor of MORE RIDING! 8) 8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Only ice/snow keeps me from riding in everyday(37 miles one way).
Clean whole bike on weekends.
Windshield as needed. :wink:

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I’ve got an 02 black wing. I ride to work 3 to 4 days each week, whenever I don’t have to haul something in the company truck. I work in different locations across the mountains in WV and PA. My runs are two to three hundred miles each. My wing is always clean, people are surprised when they find out it’s an 02. Here’s the trick. I carry a wet towel in a freezer bag and a dry towel. Each night I wipe her down for the next day. It takes less than ten minutes. Whenever I stop for coffee I wipe her down again while I chug the coffee. Sometimes I just hit the front when the bugs are bad. I wash her maybe once a month. I don’t like the spray polish; I worry about scratching the paint. I like to use lots of water to move the bugs and grit off.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I can either ride it or wash it, and it's looking dirty. I clean it before a PGR ride tough.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I carry a can of Pledge in the trunk, along with some microfiber cloths. I touch it up as needed during the week, and give 'er a good once over on the weekend.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I don't wash the truck or van every time it gets dirty, and I don't do it with the Wing either...unless it's really bad.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Alabama IronButt said:
I use a spray polish to do a "quick" clean. Generally on the front to get the bugs off. Then on the weekend, weather permitting, I give her a bath.
Same here .....

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I am like Phil. My bike is not a show piece. I bought it to ride, not clean it. I ride every day. This year, because of the addition on the house, if it wasn't for running errands and riding to work, I wouldn't have ridden at all. I think I got a chance to wash it twice this summer and I put 10,000 miles on it. I just tried to do quick cleanings every couple of weeks. That is all I had time for.

I would prefer for it to always be clean but I won't be held hostage by it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts