GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding on the interstate, passing a big rig in the hammer lane, what 1/3 of the lane do you see motorcyclist best? I try to always ride in the third section the greatest distance from the truck. However, I noticed today, in the mirror positioned on the fender of the truck, it looked as if I blended in with the fog line and tree line. Just curious and I know one cannot always see the what is beside them the entire length of the trailer.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Good ?
Being a truck driver myself i think i can honestly say every truck you come up on will be different. As far as what the driver see. My truck doesn't have the fender mirrors only door mirrors so i may or may not see you as fast as say someone with a fender mirror if they are properly adjusted. In any event i know i dont have to say this but what ever you dont hang around i have alittle over 2 million miles under my belt and have witnessed first hand with the new guys behind the wheel have yet figured out how to use all there mirrors.
Ride safe

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good ?
Being a truck driver myself i think i can honestly say every truck you come up on will be different. As far as what the driver see. My truck doesn't have the fender mirrors only door mirrors so i may or may not see you as fast as say someone with a fender mirror if they are properly adjusted. In any event i know i dont have to say this but what ever you dont hang around i have alittle over 2 million miles under my belt and have witnessed first hand with the new guys behind the wheel have yet figured out how to use all there mirrors.
Ride safe
VERY GOOD ADVICE

And another reason to not hang around the Trailer is the tire about to let go, I have been on both ends of that Semi tire and the one with you on the bike near it is the scariest and most dangerous, when I come up on a Semi I give him as much room as possible and get around him as quick as I can safely do.

Keith:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
4gunruner makes some good observations.

I have seen numerous occasions where a Car will be overtaking a Truck and for some unknown reason will hang on the rear corner instead of going ahead and making the pass ??

When on the Bike I try (Traffic allowing) to get on around the Truck, give him plenty of room when I pull back in front, then go the heck on.

I Have towed Race Cars all over the country, although I am not a Trucker I have experienced much of what they go through.

Don't try to Draft Off of them, Go ahead and make the pass, and don't slow down as soon as you are in front.

As far as visibility in the rear view mirrors, it is generally easier to see the middle of the lane next to you if you are towing a trailer.

But, staying to the left of the lane gives you a little more room if he doesn't see you and starts to come over.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I'm always looking in the mirrors of cars and trucks. The saying goes, "If you can't see their mirrors, they can't see you".

This is a good thread. Anxious to see more input from truckers, or those who tow a lot. I tend to stay middle to left of the lane when passing in order to keep turbulence lower, and to have more time to react if they start to come over. I've been next to a dually pickup when a rear tire blew. I almost shat myself, and then was thankful that I wasn't where I was about 30 seconds earlier(right behind him). I always give them lots of room, and listen for the 'singing' tires.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
It IS AMAZING just how many people (and probably more cagers) will ride beside a semi or just very gradually slowly snail-creep around them! I try to get by quickly when I am in my car/truck, but really move around them when on the bike!!
I have not had any close calls yet with a tire blowing out/slinging tread, but many years ago a truck's tire blew out in front of me (a good distance away) AND I WAS GLAD I WAS NOT RIGHT BEHIND HIM!!!!--there was a lot of "tire shrapnel" flying through the air!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
We run fender mount mirrors and I can see pretty good BUT when something unexpected happens a larger object is seen alot quicker.Good advise from the posts Ive seen.My advise is stay as far away from a truck as possible,no matter how well maintained even a brand new tire can blow. I have nearly 3.75 million miles and have blown new tires,recaps and drivelines. They scare the &%&^ out of me when Im riding my bike. Also ALOT of inexperienced drivers are out there and I remember starting out I was scared to death and I know I messed up alot...But I learned alot. So far no accidents or tickets..knock on wood.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Put yourself in a location so you can see the drivers face in their largest mirror (usually attached to the door/cab). Do not rely on those "outrigger" mirrors with how convex they are. They are not for distance viewing. Remember one thing:

If you can't see them in the (main/big) mirror - they can't see you. Just like when riding with other bikes - if you can't see the helmet in the mirror of the bike ahead of you - they can't see you.

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
You serious??? half the time nowadays THEY are traveling in the "hammer" lane and staying there:eek:4: gotta pass on the right to get by... Idiots!!!!!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
You serious??? half the time nowadays THEY are traveling in the "hammer" lane and staying there:eek:4: gotta pass on the right to get by... Idiots!!!!![/QUOTE.

Truck Drivers here are more Professional.
Why do you want to start screwing up a good thread ??

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Put yourself in a location so you can see the drivers face in their largest mirror (usually attached to the door/cab). Do not rely on those "outrigger" mirrors with how convex they are. They are not for distance viewing. Remember one thing:

If you can't see them in the (main/big) mirror - they can't see you. Just like when riding with other bikes - if you can't see the helmet in the mirror of the bike ahead of you - they can't see you.
Like he said. To be safest you should make eye contact, i say again, eye contact. don't assume he sees you in his mirror. Sun glare spots can look just like your headlight in the mirror. Then look ahead of the truck to make sure there is no reason he will have to swerve into you and be swift moving around him. Don't dilly dally playing with the gps. Get a good distance in front of him before you move over. That's all I gotta say on this.
Thanks for asking. :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
truckers

We (trk drivers)can see all the lane from both mirrors till you get to the back of the cab then some trucks have a blind spot or "no-zone" where he may lose you(both side mirrors) till he can see you out his side glass....fender mirrors help this situation a good bit but they are small and this may make them a bit unreliable....Even as a trk driver I don't piddle when I'm passing him on the bike he has lots to look out for...and what was already said the new breed of school taught drivers----some get it----some don't.....Ride safe out there on the bike and in your 18.....

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
gotta pass on the right to get by
Whatever side you pass them on the same rules apply(Do it carefully and as quickly as possible), but passing on the right adds a new element of danger since you shouldn't be passing on the right on the highway, and the are less likely to expect you there.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Like he said. To be safest you should make eye contact, i say again, eye contact. don't assume he sees you in his mirror. Sun glare spots can look just like your headlight in the mirror. Then look ahead of the truck to make sure there is no reason he will have to swerve into you and be swift moving around him. Don't dilly dally playing with the gps. Get a good distance in front of him before you move over. That's all I gotta say on this.
Thanks for asking. :)
Agree. If you can't see his eyes he can't see you. There will be times when you can't see his eyes and you need to move through those areas as quickly as possible.

Much like us, most truck drivers are very good at their jobs (different than our "hobby"), but there are a small percentage that give OTR Truckers a bad name. As percentages go they probably have a better average than we do.

Jason

·
Registered
409 Posts
Give them as much room as you can! I don't pass until I can fly on past them and keep going! Sometimes that means I stay behind them for longer than I want BUT for my safety and their right of way this has worked for me for many years. No way an 80,000 pounder can stop as quickly as either of us wish it could!

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
You serious??? half the time nowadays THEY are traveling in the "hammer" lane and staying there:eek:4: gotta pass on the right to get by... Idiots!!!!![/QUOTE.

Truck Drivers here are more Professional.
Why do you want to start screwing up a good thread ??
Clearly you have never been up this way SOME may be pro's but up here rare!!!
Straight from india to our roads no english required
So very related
Mirrors HA the only reason they are on trucks is so you can check if they are on their cell phone Yeah I know thats illegal but they don't care!!!!

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
While big tractor trailers are formidable it is not them that worry me. The truckers I have encountered were always professional ( 99 % ). It is the cagers that will get you into trouble, passing on the truck's right and etc.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
sailor you missed the kids from mexico that now legally drive 18 wheelers with questionable maint on our roads. If you see them on the phone talking to girl friend and not looking in the mirrors its a normal day.. You can tell if the big rig has a pro or rookie by how often the rear wheels go over the right white line.... D

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
sailor you missed the kids from mexico that now legally drive 18 wheelers with questionable maint on our roads. If you see them on the phone talking to girl friend and not looking in the mirrors its a normal day.. You can tell if the big rig has a pro or rookie by how often the rear wheels go over the right white line.... D

Same warning here .... there is a bridge here .. 2 lanes with a curve
You can tell the amateurs They drive up the centre and need both lanes The pro's can whip over with no problem in the curb lane One moron on Monday straddled the white lines ALL the way across Musta wet his pants as well???

The American trucker is a legend but what they allow on the road nowadays is a whole different story!!!!

So for the "bonehead" above
the point to the original question is Don't assume the rigs driver is a pro cuz unfortunately more and more they are not!!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts