GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago, I threw caution to the wind, ignored Honda engineers, and went withan Avon 70 series rear tire. I had heard the stories about that tire delaminating, but after 5000 miles on it all seemed to be going well. About 6000 miles into a 8000 mile trip, I woke up to a flat rear tire. I figured a dynabead got lodged in the valve stem because there were no obvious signs of damage. I reinflated the tire and off I went. Nervous about potential air loss, I stopped frequently to check tire pressure. After a few hours on I-70 and in the middle of farm country we decided to hit some back roads. Upon exiting the interstate, I stopped to check the tire. As soon as I turned the bike off, I could hear the air escaping the rear tire. Sure enough the tread was separating. 1000 miles from home, 8:00pm on a Saturday Night, and the closest store was a Wal Mart 95 miles away. I plugged Wal Mart into my GPS and limped on at 10mph. In a small Nebraska farm town, the only motorcycle shop was not open on Sunday (the nice folks at Wal Mart even called the owner at home). Low on options...I went to the DARKSIDE. Got my Goodyear 205/55/16, and threw my Wing up on the center stand right there in the Wal Mart lot. Based on the stories, I figured my best chance to get it mounted was having the wheel off the bike. Despite my pleadings, the folks at the local Wal Mart refused to mount the CT on my rim. They called around and found a farm and tractor supply company with a tire changer. My buddy threw the rim and tire on the back of his Wing and off he went. 1/2 an hour later, I was officially a darksider. The 1500 miles home was a great opportunity to get used to the CT "feel" and I must admit...It felt great. With about 3k miles on my CT, I'm sold and will not go back. When I hear comments about dying a firey death....I think of what might have happed had I not gotten off the freeway when I did.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
darkside

Welcome to the Darkside ***. I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy the ride, particularly when you log 20K plus on that tire. The ride is more plush. Experiment with pressure. I run about 32lbs, but mine is a runflat. They are also awsome in the rain, better traction and water displacement. They stick like glue, particularly on turns. It only takes a short time to get used to the adjustment in effort for turn transitions.
A 205 is a little tight, on subsiquent purchases, you might try a 195.
I run a Dunlop GS3000 run flat, many like the Khumo and the Falcon 912
Most prefer a "rim lock" tire or run flat Enjoy the ride and be sure to check out the Darksiders" forum for lots of advise and get a decal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
Since I've been logging nearly 20k miles per yr, the tread life will certainly be a bonus. I definitely notice the traction and actually feel safer with the CT. I went dark in late July, but between coaching football and our lovely Ohio winter, I'm just now getting around to posting. Lots of good tips on this forum, and I'll likely shop around when the time comes to replace this tire. I've had some time to experiment with pressures and this tire, and 35 gives me the best "feel." Heading to Fla in March, so I hope to fine tune on that ride. I found that with a zip tie, I can pull the inner fender up to give the 205 some more "breathing" room. This tire has a narrow profile for a 205 and rolled right in. My buddy runs a 205/60s.

·
Premium Member
31,979 Posts
Glad to read everything worked out in the end with positive results.Reminds me of eating my first oyster.Seemed way wrong at first took a bit to try it after that I couldn't stop. Welcome aboard the steam roller called darkside.

·
Registered
725 Posts
so if you were not in a pinch you would have continued to think we darksiders were nuts :eek:4:doing a CT........

Sometime being forced is not a bad thing :thumbup::congrats: on the darkside you will enjoy.

Now think about double dark that is putting a rear motorcycle tire on the front. I have the Brigestone Battleax 45 mounted in reverse it will also extend the tire wear. The first Battleax 45 I had I got 21,000+ mile I now have 12,000+ on this one and it still looks good (5/32 tread):thumbup:

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Welcome to the Darkside !!!

With the extra traction and confidence you'll get out of that tire, soon, on those cross country trips, you'll be asking if that gravel road goes all the way through !!!!

Enjoy,
Kurt

:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
:congrats: and Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Registered
879 Posts
Another great story from the DARK SIDE:22yikes:

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
ANYTIME you find ANY TIRE with real low air press you have a problem you need to fix before riding on:eek:4::eek:4:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I read posts for a year and finally went darkside. When I first put it on it took me a while to get used to it after about 500 miles of riding now I dont notice anything except the great smooth ride. I will never go back to a MC tire. If I was to trade my wing in on a new one some time in the future it will have a car tire on it the first day.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
sea2c, Auto wrecking yards some times have

tire changers. And a 16" mini-spare (looks)

like a MC tire. --- DONUT ---

Well done.:doorag:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Great story. Glad everything turned out fine for you. elcome to the darkside!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have been on the ...

"darkside" for 20 months. I will never go back to MC tires on the rear. I've had two MC tires blow at speed and one of them cost me 5 bone fractures in each arm. At 40 the heal time is long.

I have never had a car tire blow on anything I've ever driven. I've driven about 1 million miles in this lifetime, I'm 65 now, and I can still say only the MC's have let me down and hurt me.

To anyone going to the DS I highly recommend the 195 size because the E-512 205-60 like I am running is very tight and if you zip up to 85 or 90 when it is new it will probably rub a little on the right side of the threat. /Ken

·
Smoky
1,191 Posts
sea2c,
First off. :congrats: Welcome to the enlightened "DARKSIDE"! :yes1:

Sounds like it was your lucky day! :lol:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Great to see you made it this far. Lots of folks get tooooo set in their ways to try something new and better. I've done roughly 22,000 on the Ct in 16 months, i will never go back.

Toyo Proxy this time.

And a Battleax on the front.

jb

1 - 15 of 15 Posts