GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.ironbutt.com/ the link doesn't work for some reason when I did a preview but if I type it in manually it works fine?? scroll to the bottom of page and click on Ironbutt manuver surviving a rear end collision

this is a link to a very good article on the Ironbutt website, among the best stories I have read about the importance of safety equipment. Riding without safety equipment seems to be the popular thing to do for a lot of motorcyclists but this well written article hopefully would alert a few to how important and low cost safety equipment can be. Thanks to Michael Jones and the Ironbutt association

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Great article and great advice as well... I'm glad he wasn't hurt. (The article is at http://www.ironbutt.org )

I just wonder what (if any) difference there would have been if the bike had larger tail/brake lights and turn signals? I've got the Kisan Tailblazer on mine, tied to the spoiler as well as the brake lights. When I see a car coming up on me and there's nobody else around, I re-engage my brakes so they get the full flash effect.

He mentions the famous "vibrating mirrors" and the bifocals as a reason for not being able to clearly see the car coming behind him. I wonder what can be done to alleviate those issues? (As one who's working his way to having to wear glasses, I'd be interested in the responses to this question)

I guess I need to spend the time necessary to make sure my padding is correctly placed - I'm pretty sure mine fits now just like his did... :oops:

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
It's inconvenient to carry a second pair of glasses, but you could have two pair... one with bifocals and one without. Then, just wear the ones you find the most appropriate for the occasion. For riding you will probably prefer the single prescription lenses.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Bob (Bear said:
It's inconvenient to carry a second pair of glasses, but you could have two pair... one with bifocals and one without. Then, just wear the ones you find the most appropriate for the occasion. For riding you will probably prefer the single prescription lenses.

My second pair is Bifocal Sunglasses which I do carry. Your suggestion would create the necessity to have 4 pairs. Doable , but expensive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts