GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...Ride the SNAKE!

Hwy 421 on TN-VA is much, much better, IMHO. More technical curves, fewer straight-a-ways, less traffic. The few local traffic have plenty of pull offs and they use them. You will encounter mostly sport bikes and sports cars. Not too much to slow you down except for the road itself! My '21DCT Tour played around 4-5k rpms in mostly 2nd and 3rd gear sport mode manual. My Wingstuff belly pan has scrape marks!

Smack in the middle of all this is SwitchbackCreek Campground in Shady Valley, TN. Owned by Windy and Evelyne. They are also motorcyclists and rhe best host that you could ask for.

Throw in some beautiful scenery and you have a great destination!

Plant Tent Tree Wheel Tire
Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle

Plant Branch Road surface Natural landscape Asphalt
Cloud Sky Plant community Ecoregion Mountain

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
I could only "wish" that I had that, "horrible" opportunity, to make that same discissions...Ride the Tail or ride the Snake ..Hmmmmmmm :unsure:

Ronnie
9/22/22

Reactions: SteveST1800

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
A group of us Vmaxers just got back from riding the area around the Tail of the Dragon. Stopped off at one of the larger pull-offs on The Dragon to scatter ashes from our fellow fallen comrade who didn't make it home from his trip the the Tail last year (medical issues). Included in our other excursions over the three day ride, was a trip up to the Historic Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary on TN 116. We rode a lot of 116 in both directions. HOLY SCHITT, that road is like a bucking bronco. Lots of ups/downs to go along with it's too many curves to count, including several switchbacks. If ever in that area of the state, I say it's worth a ride across to say you've been there for sure.

·
Registered
571 Posts
A group of us Vmaxers just got back from riding the area around the Tail of the Dragon. Stopped off at one of the larger pull-offs on The Dragon to scatter ashes from our fellow fallen comrade who didn't make it home from his trip the the Tail last year (medical issues). Included in our other excursions over the three day ride, was a trip up to the Historic Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary on TN 116. We rode a lot of 116 in both directions. HOLY SCHITT, that road is like a bucking bronco. Lots of ups/downs to go along with it's too many curves to count, including several switchbacks. If ever in that area of the state, I say it's worth a ride across to say you've been there for sure.
I stumbled upon TN116 last April just trying to stay off the interstate. It's no interstate. 10 mph switchbacks that will test your ability to stay upright. I just kept thinking, "Don't Drop this thing cause if you need help to pick it up you may have to squeal like a pig".

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You just about can't go wrong in that area. It's riding nirvana!

Reactions: Arkyrider

·
Registered
2002 GL1800ABS Illusion Red, 1999 CBR1100XX Super Blackbird.
425 Posts
I liked the Dragon. Too bad you have to have your eyes open for turns and traffic and miss the scenery.
Not to mention all the squids crossing the yellow line.

Reactions: SteveST1800

·
Registered
2020 Tour Manual, 2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan
732 Posts
I've had enough of those kinds of roads. 10 mph switchbacks are too nerve wracking. I've ridden the triple nickel and some roads in WV that I won't go back to. I much prefer higher speed curvy sweeping roads where I can concentrate on enjoyment rather than not crashing. The roads in the Adirondacks are examples of such.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've had enough of those kinds of roads. 10 mph switchbacks are too nerve wracking. I've ridden the triple nickel and some roads in WV that I won't go back to. I much prefer higher speed curvy sweeping roads where I can concentrate on enjoyment rather than not crashing. The roads in the Adirondacks are examples of such.
Lots of those in Arkansas. Some that you won't see another car on for miles. (y)

Reactions: ms05ltc and Lonnie
1 - 18 of 18 Posts