GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got 06 and was wondering if a fork brace on the 1800 is as needed as it was on my 1100

·
Registered
983 Posts
brace

If you review all the chatter over the years on fork braces you will come to the conclusions they are bought for slow speed stability. People who buy these also will be looking at progressive fork springs (Or other expensive options, Traction and others), All Balls triple tree bearings (for shimming at speeds) and rear spring change or adjustments.
Please give generously to your parts providers. They stay in business on our riding whims.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
All I know is I could tell a difference!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
First off, welcome to the board...

I feel for my bike that was a must, but I ended up going all the way...

Of the people that I personally know that have done the brace they love it, If you decide to put one on you might want to also put an all-ball stem barring in at the same time...

I'm sure you'll be getting all kinds of advice as to what to do, all I can tell you is for my kind of riding I love what I now have...

If you feel you have some kind of problems with your frond suspension then be all means go for it, if not don't...
:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
A fork brace may be as important to you as a car tire is to someone else.
A fork brace is an inexpensive step at making the front more stable. IMHO the Kury Gen II on ebay for around $150 is the best bang for the buck right now.

According to mapquest, you are about 350 miles from me....come on up this way and you can ride my bike on a very nice pair of twisty roads (Push Mountain & Devil's Backbone), and make up your own mind as to what you need/want.

Watch where you step....lots of BS around here.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have an 06 also. I was told by our honda mechanic that I needed one to stop the wobble I had. What a worthless piece of junk. It did nothing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As has already been intimated here, you only need a brace on your bike if you have problems on the roads you ride and your particular riding style. If you cannot identify any problem, well it's not broken so it does not need to be fixed. The $ saved will buy you a lot of petrol.

Now I am only very new to the wing, but have been riding for a while, and my appraisal for me only, not anyone else, is:-

1. I can feel and see a lot of flex at low speed. This is something I do not personally like.

2. On the goat tracks we laughingly call main roads in Australia we have every possible type of road imperfection lovingly installed mid corner by our main roads department. I can feel the flex in the forks, and the deviation in cornering line, when I hit these mid corner. Nothing major, but again not something I like.

3. I will be putting on a brace to assist in reducing the above.

It does not matter what brace you put on provided it is well made and properly fitted. If you have to force anything stop and have a look and a think about what is going on.

I also have some thoughts on the front suspension, but will defer anything there until I have some more klm's up. Being a bit miserable I am not one to throw endless $'s at things, better to do it once and well.

Regards

Michael G

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
As has already been intimated here, you only need a brace on your bike if you have problems on the roads you ride and your particular riding style. If you cannot identify any problem, well it's not broken so it does not need to be fixed. The $ saved will buy you a lot of petrol.

Now I am only very new to the wing, but have been riding for a while, and my appraisal for me only, not anyone else, is:-

1. I can feel and see a lot of flex at low speed. This is something I do not personally like.

2. On the goat tracks we laughingly call main roads in Australia we have every possible type of road imperfection lovingly installed mid corner by our main roads department. I can feel the flex in the forks, and the deviation in cornering line, when I hit these mid corner. Nothing major, but again not something I like.

3. I will be putting on a brace to assist in reducing the above.

It does not matter what brace you put on provided it is well made and properly fitted. If you have to force anything stop and have a look and a think about what is going on.

I also have some thoughts on the front suspension, but will defer anything there until I have some more klm's up. Being a bit miserable I am not one to throw endless $'s at things, better to do it once and well.

Regards

Michael G
Well put, and welcome to the board...:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Canuck
2,844 Posts
If you go with a fork brace, do not use a Superbrace. Doesn't flex enough like the Traxxion or Kury.

G

·
If you like to spend money and have a vivid imagination then a fork brace is for you. If you can reason and understand the dynamics then you will just have some money in your wallet at the end of the day.
It has nothing to do with working or not working or whether you need it or not. It's just feeling better and imagining an improvement.
The cheapest one you can buy is just as ineffective as the most expensive so I would go with that model if I were you.

And if you fall for that deal then you might as well change springs and go with sand in the wheels and rock filled frisbees. You can even put rumble strips on your helmet (or bald head) to eliminate wind buffeting.

Let your imagination go wild! :lol:

·
Registered
814 Posts
I just put on the KuryII new fork brace after I had Traxxion springs put in the front and a new Traxxion shock. I do notice a difference especially when going slow as well as taking the twisties at 60mp. I also like the looks of the new Kury and the price at $169.00 and wish I would have put it on long time ago.

On another note, At 8K miles, I had a wobble and the only thing that took it away was a new steering bearing. I also felt that the front end was more stable and tight after he new bearing.

·
Registered
660 Posts
you know why you put the brace on your 1100, it would not stay in the same track around a high speed corner. If you know your wing tracks its line around a high speed corner, then I would say no. You know what its should track like and if its not then maybe you should try one. If adjusted improperly it will affect an all ready good riding bike.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I have a (Kury) fork brace on my '06 (second one - the first peeled chrome in less than a month). Noticeable improvement? Maybe. Worth the money? Maybe. Cure any problems? NO! I did have a wobble with old tires until I had the head bearings replaced with All Balls. The brace didn't help that. Maybe without it all of the gravel roads that seem to find me would be worse.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Yes. It makes a difference keeping the front end stable, although I think it's most noticable at slower speeds. Get the Traxxion billet triple clamps too and you will be stunned!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts