GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed some fork braces for sale and an occasional comment regarding these. Does anyone have an opinion on these :lol:.....?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
:popcorn:

Best Bang for the Buck....Kury Gen II on Ebay for Approx $159

IMHO....avoid 2 piece design.
:agree: When you get it, toss the screws on the center pieces, and get some SS ones. If you have to adjust several times and you may, it will stop the chrome from galding and the heads seem a bit soft. A couple of bucks may save some headaches.

As far as working, some say great others say they can't tell. I think it made plenty of difference in stiffening the forks.

YMMV and Best Wishes

·
Registered
552 Posts
Not for me, took off the traxxion and sold it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I bought and installed the Superbrace airbag model. Instructions were pretty useless - no photos; verbiage that didn't make any sense. It only took 45 minutes or so of studying the front fork area. I didn't notice any difference at high speed, but the bike seems more sturdy at low speeds...

J.D.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I noticed the most difference in slow speed maneuvers

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fork brace

Does it eliminate the "wobble" at slow speeds when you are not holding :roll:, I mean barely holding the handlebars???

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I have noticed some fork braces for sale and an occasional comment regarding these. Does anyone have an opinion on these :lol:.....?
I have one on my bike (Kury II) just because the tubes shields are made on it. I raised the front wheel off the ground to install it. I did replace the center 4 screws with stainless steal ones. I truely can't tell any difference in handling. May have helped in cupping of the front tire. I wouldn't buy another one at any cost. The choise is only your's. Good luck in what ever you do!:shrug:

·
Registered
848 Posts
This weekend I installed a Superbrace on my 2008 GL 1800. The install went well, really easy, primarily due to the YouTube video. The instructions that came with the brace sucked. No diagrams or definitions of terms or location of parts, etc.

In riding the bike after the install I was looking for differences, not really a "blind" study. I have noticed that I seem to be more sure and smooth on slow speed turns. You know, those right hand turns from a stop where you are going 3 - 5 mph. Same with parking lot turns where I am going really slow and the pavement is poor.

On the interstate I did not notice as much difference except for those asphalt snakes. Where two slabs have come together in a lane and some asphalt is on top of the seam but they are not perfectly level. My bike now seems to be less reactive when going across that line.

Not sure why Honda is not including these as OEM's. The labor seems like it would be the same as for that plastic crap that comes with the bike and in bulk it's got to be a lot less money then what I paid.

Of course any improvement may just be my overactive imagination.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I want to add that I have not had a wobble at any speed with my bike. I have stock shocks but I do have Centramtics balancers and Avon Cobra tires. I was not attempting to cure a wobble but instead just wanted a more secure feeling at slow speeds and I think the brace has helped.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Fork brace helps on both ends of the spectrum. At parking lot speeds, it helps. On hard low-speed turns (U-turns, etc.), it helps prevent the front wheel from "cutting" under due to fork flex. At higher speeds where the gyroscopic forces of the front tire are prevelent, it removes some of the flex/spring of the front-end. Without a fork brace, get up to 70-80 mph and wiggle the handlebars...you can deflect the bars significantly without changing the direction of the bike...then try it with the fork brace. If you are not a hot-rodder, it still helps with evasive maneuvers as it is more responsive to your inputs. With out a fork brace, the only thing keeping the lowers acting as a unit is the axle. In the old days, the metal fenders had a "stamp" bracket that attached at the top of the lowers and acted as a light-duty fork brace. After market fork braces have been on the market at least 35-40 years that I know of.

That's a period fork brace (Hyde) on a '73 Norton 850 Commando Interstate.

For the Norton, this puppy, also, help improve the handling.

A fork brace isn't the answer to all your prayers but it is a logical step to having a better handling bike.

Z

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
It probably does stiffen the forks but I haven't noticed any difference in my ride, slow speed maneuvers or highway riding. I have the Traxxion but would not buy one again. Upgraded suspension front and rear was a much bigger difference for me.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Nothing against anybody but as a rider who is very in tune with the machine I can tell you there is massive difference in having a fork brace verses not. I hope you would not use the super brace as it is a fixed brace and there have been a few instances where the superbrace itself has caused the forks to bind.

+1 on kury brace

·
Registered
353 Posts
Nothing against anybody but as a rider who is very in tune with the machine I can tell you there is massive difference in having a fork brace verses not.
:agree:
I have installed a Brace on all my Wings, 1200/1500 and 1800. It was like night and day for all of them.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Yep even took a step further I not only have the kury gen 2 brace but also the lower billet aluminum triple tree from traxxion.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Yep even took a step further I not only have the kury gen 2 brace but also the lower billet aluminum triple tree from traxxion.

DJ, did the triple tree make as much or more difference than the brace?

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
I have only left Traxxion twice in 190,000+ miles with a **** eating, oh man I am gonna get in trouble with this, very evil and almost sadistic laugh.

The first time was at 8,xxx miles when I first got the system.

The second was last year after over 170,xxx miles on their system I added the lower tree. Massive improvement. The tree really locks the front end in.

It was like jumping from a .380 Saturday night special to a .50 desert eagle.it just made me wanna imitate the joker from Batman... wait til they get a load of me now!

The upper tree is not needed. Traxxion says you do not have to run both a brace and the lower tree but I do and love it. I know what just the brace did and the tree is an exponential increase over what the brace does alone.

Again... I am not normal. I can be an aggressive rider and that does not mean only higher speeds.

Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts