GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have voiced interest in fork braces, save your money. My 12 handles a lot better than my '04 when it was new; no low speed wobble and a good solid track. But, based on a lot of posts here about the noticeable difference, I thought that I'd install a brace just to be on the safe side, and installed the Superbrace. After about 500 miles, I haven't been able to notice any difference. If I hadn't installed it myself, I'd never know it had a brace. Just my .02 cents

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
You couldn't give me a SuperBrace. Most of the time, all they do is make the fork legs bind in the bushings.

If you're going to install a fork brace, the only two I'd use are the Kuryakn or Traxxion, because they have a floating center section that allows the brace to fit the bike problem, unlike the two piece design of the Superbrace.

The lower triple clamp has had some stiffners added on it on the 2012, and they do seem to have helped some.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
I understand Fred's disdain with the SuperBrace, but the OP here said there was no difference noted in handling; good, bad, or ugly. Thus the stiction factor does not apply this time. BUT, you who have the '12 version, pay attention to the steering and try to objectively judge if the newer version is less floppsy-mopsie (technical terminology;). If so, why? The mid bridge was changed according to Max, but he thought that change was insignificant. Have they changed the tube diameter (very doubtful) or the wall thickness of the tubing (again, very doubtful). Recent reports claimed there were NO changes in fork sliders or internal components. So why would the handling vary? Well, it seems some of the earlier editions handle more compliantly than do others; maybe that trend continues.

prs

·
Registered
312 Posts
I thought I read somewhere where the fork bushings were improved on the 12. I installed the super brace on my 02 and felt a definite improvement. However, when I rebuilt the forks prior to selling it, I did notice that the right side fork bushing was worn more than the left side, i.e. more copper was showing. Not sure if the super brace had anything to do with that.

I'm picking my 12 up this weekend and riding it from Arkansas to Utah. I'm certainly not anxious to add a fork brace to this one if it doesn't need it. IF I eventually feel I need to, I think I'll look at the Traxxion, because the guys "in the know" seem to like it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts