GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good fork brace to run on the Goldwing 1800 ABS ?

Mike

·
Registered
626 Posts
As far as I know there is only one brand made for the 1800, that's the"Super Brace" but I'm sure you have better things to spend your money on! :D In other words the bike dosen't need the fork brace save you money for gas and ride,ride, ride :shock:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I agree with Fox. I have one installed and did not notice any difference except deduction in check book.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SUPERBRACE

BOY DO I DISAGREE WITH THE OTHER 2 POSTS - A SUPERBRACE IS A MUST FOR ME. IF YOU ONLY RIDE 30 MPH YOU WILL NOT NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE. IT DOES STABLIZE THE FRONT END. IT REMOVES THE FEEL OF RAIN GROVES IN THE ROAD, ECT. I HAVE HAD IT ON THE FOLLOWING WINGS. 83, 89, 2000, 2001, 2003 AND SOON 04 ITS ABOUT SAFETY

·
Registered
407 Posts
Wingman,

After riding my 1500 112,000 miles, the last 75,000 with a fork brace, when I first got my '02 I didn't think it would need one due to the greatly improved handling. The more I rode the '02 the more I thought a brace might help. I installed one prior to taking a track course at Infineon Raceway and was glad I did. It definitely helps stability and handling when you are playing hard in the fringes. It also helps in slow speed tight turns when pulling a trailer or turning over bumpy driveway entrances, etc. I just bought an '04 1800 and I will be adding a superbrace immediately.

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
The poll is on page 5 or 6 of the tech. board. It shows 56% pro the SB and 43% con. I have one on my 01 and agree with Bob C. It makes a difference.
**** :yw1:

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
IMHO..............

Any poll like that you can take at least 10% off of the positive side.
Many feel obligated to say positive things because they spent the money and just don't want to admit they got took!

Just my opinion...............

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
Brian, I think the same could be said about the negitive side.The thing to remember about any thing that is evaluated on this or any other board,is that its just an opinion.Some times its based on actual use of the product,and some times not. The best opinions ,of course, are ,my wifes brother's best friend's uncle said,its the greatest thing since the wheel.
I road an 1800 with a SB before I bought one. I could tell a difference right away, and liked it. If you tried and did'nt like it , then don't buy one.
Ride safe, when the snow melts.
**** :) :) :yw1:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Well ????????

Well let me just say that if Honda Engineers thought it would need one they would have put put one on it. JMHO !

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Re: Well ????????

Mike L said:
Well let me just say that if Honda Engineers thought it would need one they would have put put one on it. JMHO !
But how many of us, on a fairly routine basis, meet or exceed the standards that the engineers used when they designed this bike?

I'd bet money that I have... at least a time or two... :yes1:

Look at the picture to the left. There I am, taking on "the dragon". Hitting the rev limiter in the straightaways, and dragging body panels in the curves. Did Honda have these situations in mind when designing a touring bike?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Accessories

That's true also of: extra fuses, luggage racks, exhaust extensions, belly pans, backrests, highway pegs, fog lights, fender extensions, floorboards, spoilers, trailer hitches, wind wings, air horns, ANY safety chrome, on and on, etc, etc.
The reason Honda did not put on any of the above options, was to make more money. :evil: They knew we would be buying those anyway figured it was extra dough to them.

M

·
0 Posts
Fork brace

I had one on my 01 and traded for my 02, rode for a week and noticed a difference so I put one on my 02. Helps a lot on tar snakes and when crossing over the centerline and back. I tride riding down the centerline without it, very hard to do, but very easy to do with one. Much more stabil feel on the handelbars. They seem like the are both together with the brace, but seem seperate without it. Mr Lynn Schmidt

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Braces

The best reason i have seen, but yet to experience, is that they help in cornering, rough roads, and Stopping Cupping of the front tire..... anything that helps with a more positive control is a safety factor i can not avoid, no matter what the expense.... but if the Factory put on all the toys up front you won't be able to afford the bike... plus it would take all the fun out of making it ot your taste, your style,,, a part of you.....
and i plan on having mine on before i hit Deals Gap....

Mike

·
Registered
810 Posts
Bought and Sold my Superbrace.

I put a Superbrace on my 1100 Spirit and loved the improved handling, however, I put one on my GL1800 and didn't notice a thing. I had it on for almost a month before I removed it and sold it.

Personally, I think they are an excellent product, displayed by their 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee, but I just don't feel they are worth your investment on the GL1800.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts