GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fork Extensions

Had some fork extensions made, and the machine shop made an extra set. They will add about two inches to the length of the forks, giving a trike a little more road clearance. I wanted them on the MotorTrike because the floorboard brackets hang below the engine, and does not leave much room between them and the engine. Also, if a rake kit is added, a little more road clearance is given up.

These are drilled and tapped inside both so they can be used with the TRAXXION AK-20 suspension as well as the standard Honda.

If you want the extra pair, $65 shipped. Here is what they look like, compared to the standard ones (except I drilled the stock ones to be able to change fork fluid without pulling the forks apart or even taking them out.) In fact, if someone wants the standard ones with the fill hole, email me.

And this is what the forks look like with them installed.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Will the fork extension give more of a rake , I did a fork extension on my Yamaha with a Voyager kit and it gave more rake , made for easy steering .

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will the fork extension give more of a rake , I did a fork extension on my Yamaha with a Voyager kit and it gave more rake , made for easy steering .
Marginally. Raise the front end, and the front wheels will stick out further. But its only going to be a degree or two, not the 3-6 degrees the trikes like. Just a little change makes a big difference in two wheel bikes, but the trikes are not near as sensitive to little changes.

That said, I was going to go with a rake kit on the MotorTrike. But first, I added a TRAXXION AK20 kit. That solved the steering problem. Then I tacked on the extensions. Still does not steer like power steering on a Buick, but its just right for me. And I still have the nimble quick steering response that I would have to give up with a rake kit.

So, if you are looking for easier steering, go with the rake kit. If you are using a Voyager type kit, stay with the stock steering. Those are still motorcycles, just have crutches.

·
Registered
210 Posts
So, if you are looking for easier steering, go with the rake kit. If you are using a Voyager type kit, stay with the stock steering. Those are still motorcycles, just have crutches.[/quote]

GOT OFF THE Voyager 20,000 miles ago .LOL I wont say it was a waste of money , it did make me know that I wanted a real trike .I GOT ABOUT 90% OF MY MONEY BACK .

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Marginally. Raise the front end, and the front wheels will stick out further. But its only going to be a degree or two, not the 3-6 degrees the trikes like. Just a little change makes a big difference in two wheel bikes, but the trikes are not near as sensitive to little changes.

That said, I was going to go with a rake kit on the MotorTrike. But first, I added a TRAXXION AK20 kit. That solved the steering problem. Then I tacked on the extensions. Still does not steer like power steering on a Buick, but its just right for me. And I still have the nimble quick steering response that I would have to give up with a rake kit.

So, if you are looking for easier steering, go with the rake kit. If you are using a Voyager type kit, stay with the stock steering. Those are still motorcycles, just have crutches.
Amen, Amen, Amen!! Harry I'm with you 100% on this one. Rakes are I believe "ARE" for the vast majority and on the longer wheelbases may hold a bigger advantage. But on them MT's that quick steering is what I loved on the Dragon's Tail...........

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still have some of these if anyone is interested. Put them on my MotorTrike because the running board mount puts takes away from the highway clearance where it is bolted to the front of the engine.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gary and Skater - PM replied to. Prefer email at

[email protected]

Seems like my Internet Explorer is on strike - or at least a work slowdown...

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts