GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would change the fork oil. The crush washer on the drain bolt didn't come out with the bolt. I have tried hooking it with the bolt and shaped a small screw driver to have a hook. It is in the same position as when its seated. I can't get it budge. Anyone else ever have this issue, and how did you get it out. I finally got frustrated with it, and had to walk away for a few minutes.

·
Registered
999 Posts
This is what separates the men from the boys.

I have had some luck taking a cold chisel and grinding it to the same diameter as hole and tapping lightly to form a slot and then turning it with a wrench.

just don't too carried away with the hammer. Go slow and easy........

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Lay a block of wood over it, smack the wood with a rubber shop hammer, inertia should jar it loose. I would try that first. Or a bit larger thread bolt so the thread bites into the washer, then pull it out. Kit

·
Registered
204 Posts
L A Cavin

When I changed my fork oil the left washer fell right out. The right side I put a bolt that would just thread into the washer and it came right out. the oil barely flowed out the right leg, but it came out of the left leg like it was under pressure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the idea. I went back to it, and was able to twist it out with a screw driver.

I had to get my head under there, and that was a lot better after it stopped those unexpected drips. "I almost went for the hammer." ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesn't have to come out if it is seated. It is not a drain hole either. You are wasting your time and money doing this as a oil change and service.

It's out and I'll put a new one in.

What exactly do you mean? Are you saying never change the fork oil?

How would you drain it if you ever had to? Would you reuse the old oil.

It seems that a lot of folks are under the opinion that it should be changed. The frequency varies. It sure is some nasty stuff when it drains. It may not be a drain hole, but it is a hole that the oil will drain out of.

I was using a method that I learned from one of my favorite video sets.

I hate to waste time and money on anything. So explain it in a little more detail for some of us.

·
Registered
16,490 Posts
I don't think just draining and refilling is a waste. If you do it often, the oil will generally be fairly fresh. Do pump the cartridge to purge it too and pump again when refilling to prime. The "correct" way is to remove the forks from the triple tree, disassemble them, clean the parts in mineral spirits or WD-40. Inspect the wear parts and replace as needed, replace the seals,dust seals, copper washers and "O" rings.

prs

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I have done several fork oil changes on mine and the right leg bottom washer you are talking about never came out i did not worry about it and has never leaked have always reused them with no problems

Cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Here's my fork oil changing opinion, empahsis on OPINION. The reason the manual says pretty much nothing about changing the fork oil is it doesn't need changing. I've never changed the fork oil in any bike I've ever had. I've never owned the same bike for over 6 years but IMHO unless you upgrade springs or own the bike 10 + years I'd never even think about it.

R

·
0 Posts
Here's my fork oil changing opinion, empahsis on OPINION. The reason the manual says pretty much nothing about changing the fork oil is it doesn't need changing. I've never changed the fork oil in any bike I've ever had. I've never owned the same bike for over 6 years but IMHO unless you upgrade springs or own the bike 10 + years I'd never even think about it.
Agreed. Overkill is just wrong. Of course nobody mentioned mileage or that there was any kind of problem. If it works well, leave it alone. Why change a tire if it's got good tread and isn't flat?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
happens all the time got a straight very pointed dental pick bent 90 degrees at the tip last 1/4 inch hook it pull it out,
heat it red hot put it back or put inn a new one

1 - 13 of 13 Posts