GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read Fred H. article on fork oil change. Looks like quite a bit of work any- shortcuts you guys have found or just go with it ? Also I have seen some comments on which oil weight to use -any opinions ? By the way, thanks Fred for taking the time to put together a helpful site.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Fork oil shortcuts....

I'm afraid that the only shortcut (for next time) is having drain holes drilled and tapped. Don't try it unless you are a veteran machinist.... A failed attempt means a new lower section. I tried to pump out the oil, but one of them just prevents you from getting a tube down where it needs to be. I ended up removing both tubes. The one that I was more successful with pumping still poured out about an ounce of black fluid.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
However the 1800 drains are above the axle shaft so removal of the wheel is mandatory...... Use a 6 mm allen wrench to pull the drain bolts out of the bottom of the fork tubes. You can see the bolt by looking up through the fork end. Make sure pan is under tubes as the left one will drain as soon as the bolt is out.

You mean Honda actually did put a fork oil drain plug in?!?!?!?!?!? Where was this information 3 years ago? I'm glad I wanted to take a quick look here again.

Thanks Storm & Fred!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
DDL said:
However the 1800 drains are above the axle shaft so removal of the wheel is mandatory...... Use a 6 mm allen wrench to pull the drain bolts out of the bottom of the fork tubes. You can see the bolt by looking up through the fork end. Make sure pan is under tubes as the left one will drain as soon as the bolt is out.

You mean Honda actually did put a fork oil drain plug in?!?!?!?!?!? Where was this information 3 years ago? I'm glad I wanted to take a quick look here again.

Thanks Storm & Fred!
:crew: You may want to check the recent archives before attempting to remove those damper rod retaining bolts. The GL1800 is not equipped with fork drains.

·
Vendor
22,244 Posts
While the damper rod bolts can be removed and used to drain the fork tubes, this is not what they were designed for. They are there to hold the damper tube on the left fork and damper cartridge on the right fork in place.

I have done this several times now and it works very well. However, there is one problem with this method. Sometimes the damper rod bolts can be stubborn to get out. On one occasion I had to use an electric impact wrench, after which I had to replace the bolts. Sometimes it also may be a bit difficult to get them back in properly, and it may require a bit of manipulation of the fork tubes to get the bolts lined up.

The alternative is to remove the tubes from the bike, and turn them upside down and pour out the old oil.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Fred H. said:
While the damper rod bolts can be removed and used to drain the fork tubes, this is not what they were designed for....
OK, I guess I will stick with turning them upside down to pour out the old stuff. That would explain why the shop book does not cover fork oil replacement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts