GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing Progressive fork springs and I need to know what opinions for fork oil (weight) and amount (depth from top) so I can make the correct decision for a smoother ride over stock springs. I also have the shim to modify the ADV. and I plan on upgrading to all balls this winter. If you installed progressive springs what did you use? 2008 with 11,000 miles also installing new seals and bushings with the springs. I did a search and didn't find much information on this.

Progressive springs are what I can afford so no Race Teck or Traxxion info please.

(1) Fork oil weight?
(2) Depth of oil from top of fork tube?
(3) Use the ADV. shim?
(4) How was the ride?

Thanks for the information.
Greg

·
Registered
927 Posts
I am installing Progressive fork springs and I need to know what opinions for fork oil (weight) and amount (depth from top) so I can make the correct decision for a smoother ride over stock springs. I also have the shim to modify the ADV. and I plan on upgrading to all balls this winter. If you installed progressive springs what did you use? 2008 with 11,000 miles also installing new seals and bushings with the springs. I did a search and didn't find much information on this.

Progressive springs are what I can afford so no Race Teck or Traxxion info please.

(1) Fork oil weight?
(3) Use the ADV. shim?
(4) How was the ride?

Greg
If you're just getting springs, Racetech and Traxxion springs are not significantly more expensive than Progressives. The big advantage is that their single rate means they sag less. The progressives use up most of their soft initial rate in sag, and transition to a harder rate than the others quite early in bump.

The same is true of the Honda springs. Which mostly operate on bumps at the higher rate. So Hondas stock fork oil recommendations are not far off for the others. The difference is less than the difference between different brands of "10 weight" fork oils. Going to 5 or 15 is a big change. Although it does depend on exactly which fork oil. Some 10 weights are as thick as the thinnest 15s.

If your ADV is working properly there is no need to disconnect it. If it's not working properly, the parts to repair it can be had, although it's not trivial to find them, as Honda doesn't sell them separately. So some people choose to disconnect it, rather than repair it.

The comments here are generally that people like Progressive springs better than stock, and Racetech or Traxxion springs more than Progressive. Some people change fork oil settings, some don't.

·
Registered
332 Posts

(1) Fork oil weight?
(3) Use the ADV. shim?
(4) How was the ride?

Greg
I put progressives in my bike front and rear about 60,000 miles ago. My stock springs were very soft.

I originally tried using the 10wt Honda oil and they were way underdamped and really bounced a lot. I went to BelRay 15wt and that was just right for me. Now, the ride is not supple cushy it is firm but controled like a sport bike suspension. Slow speeds still have some harshness but at highway speeds the ride is wonderful and the responsive suspension is fun to play with. The new springs gave me back 1.5 inches of ride height which is as important as anything to helping your ride.
I went 5 inches down from the top for my fork oil and all seems well. I've rebuilt the front end a couple of times in the 60,000 miles and it all looks great inside.
I used the anti-dive shim and recommend it.

I think my ride is just right. I ride single up most of the time with the occasional 2 up. The stock ride was very low on travel and a little squishy but not luxurious because it was still harsh on small quick imperfections in the road surface.
NRA

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Five inches. I used ATF or you can mix half 15 and half 10 to get 12.5.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts