GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the exact amount of 10w oil to put in the front forks? I was told 529cc left, 485cc right....but that is slightly more according to Fred H...

Thanks! :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I would tend to believe Fred. The Volumes you listed might be for completely dry shocks and I would bet you can't get it all out from the bottom.

Just my opinion here.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
The easiest way to get it correct is to slightly over fill and then suction off the excess with a measured lenght of suction tube. The listed amounts are provided to get you close. I recall Fre slightly overfilling in his video series and then using a home made jig to suction the level down to his target level. The amount will vary by brand of spring you use too and the fork tube oil levelshould be provided by the after market spring maker.

prs

·
Vendor
2,337 Posts
Volume is NOT the way to refill the forks unless they are completely DRY, to include the inside of the cartridge. If you are changing the oil, you CANNOT fill them by volume, or you will have WAY too much oil in the forks and they will not have their full stroke, and can blow the seals.

Be sure to fill by level... fork collapsed, spring out.

:wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts