GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have changed your fork oil, have any of you use different weight oil in the left fork leg? The reason I ask, when I pulled off the forks I noticed the right leg would rebound nicely when compressed (as a cartridge fork should). The left fork springs back like you would expect a damper style fork would, WAY to fast. With the wing be so heavy I thought maybe the left leg should have 20 weight oil or higher in it. When I raced a SV (damper rod style forks) I ran between 25 to 30 weight oil and that helped control the front alot. So has anybody given this a try and if so what was the result?

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
There is nothing in the left leg to cause damping. I suppose if you went real thick, like with gear oil, you might get the left leg to do some damping, but a better way is to drop a RaceTech cartridge emulator in.

Of course, the best way would be to go with Traxxion's AKs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to install race tech valves, but I don't think the emulator will be able to control the damping with 10w fork oil. Of course I may be mistaken, which has happened before.

Yes I know AK20s are the way to go, but I'm on a low budget.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I'm going to install race tech valves, but I don't think the emulator will be able to control the damping with 10w fork oil. .
The emulator does just fine with 10 grade oil. I have one in my left fork. Major improvement.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I've got the emulator installed and it still acts like there is no rebound control. I'll take them back apart tomorrow and see if the emulator is seated. For those who have installed emulators did you use the stock setting or put more turns on the emulator??

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
I am not sure or this, but I think the RaceTech emulator sold by Hal and the same version supplied directly by RaceTech is NOT a rebound dampening unit, only compression dampening. RaceTech has recently begun to offer the rebound compression components and so far as I can tell, Hal has not yet offered them. SInce a meaningful upgrade includes heavier springs, the rebound dampening seems to be a necessary consideraiton. I hope some one more in tune to this can either refute or verify my understainding of the RaceTech components.

The problems I see with using fluids other than actual fork oil is that the viscosity ratings are NOT equivalent ane the viscosity of gear oils, they may foam. and motor oils is likely not as stable at temperatures vary. But, I have to admit that I have never tried any other fluids except ATF and fork/shock flluid.

prs

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
For those who have installed emulators did you use the stock setting or put more turns on the emulator??
I used the stock setting.

I've been told that the emulator does not provide rebound damping, but RaceTech insists that it does. All I know, is that the emulator(added to the previously installed 1.2 kg/mm springs and a Traxxion shock and 1200 Lb/in spring) improved handling to the point where I can now say I'm happy with it.

I know that there is still room for improvement, and I believe the AKs are worth it, but I am now concentrating on gear and skills improvement. I do see the AKs in my future, once my skills improve to the point where I find the fork lacking again.

I did not install the Gold Valve in the right side, as the emulator solved the last of the problems I was having.

Look here for more of my impressions on the Emulator only;
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177424;

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The emulators are suppose to help with rebound damping, and I've used them in one of the race bikes I used to have. When using them in that application it required a heavier fork oil then Race Tech recommended, to keep the front end planted over bumps, otherwise the front would rebound to quickly. Just like I'm seeing on the goldwing. So maybe it was the fork oil not the emulator that kept everything under control.:shrug:

Read your review Fazer, maybe I need to install them and just go for a ride and see how it goes before I try the heavier fork oil. The racer side of just thinks both forks should work in a similiar fashon. I would never set up one of the track bikes with a forks that work so much differently, both sides should rebound and compress at the same rate.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Guys, I may be wrong about this, but I put emulators on two bikes in the past and was told that they are NOT designed to aid rebound DAMPING...only compression...and that's pretty much the way they worked. In those bikes, the only way for me to slow the rebound was to use thicker oil.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Upon further investagation, Pigeon Roost and Matador are correct. The emulator is for compression, not rebound. And that is why on the race bike I put the heavier fork oil. Thanks for the enlightment, I think I may try the heavier fork oil and see what that does for the goldwing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts