GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... This is a solution I began using on my ST1300 and now the GW. I am concerned about gravel and rock nicks on the exposed forks as I usually ride #2 or #3 in the small group I ride with.

I ran across these "Gravel Guards" a couple of years ago at Academy Sporting Goods in the shoe/boot department...cost: about $5.00 They are used by bicyclists to wrap their pant legs. The closing method is velcro.

Take them off every couple of weeks and clean the insides and oil the exposed forks and you're ready to go again. I would be concerned if I never removed and cleaned as accumulated dirt could also scratch the forks. But... two years and two bikes have passed the test so far.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Here you go. Courtesy of LL Bean. Turns out while bicyclists may have found a use for them, they are designed to keep gravel out of your shoes which damage your waders.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
STUNA, What are seal savers? galewing

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm glad you posted your solution to fork protection. Even though I have the extended warranty on my 2001 GL1800, my service manager told me even with the warranty if they open up the forks and find a scratch, the repair, (my left fork is leaking), is not covered under warranty because it was caused by rocks and not defective materials.
THANKS, Don W.

·
Registered
125 Posts
So wouldn't a 3/4" ot 1" peice of fpam pipe insulation do the same thing??

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Even though I have the extended warranty on my 2001 GL1800, my service manager told me even with the warranty if they open up the forks and find a scratch, the repair, (my left fork is leaking), is not covered under warranty because it was caused by rocks and not defective materials.
Again, depends on dealer. My fork leaked, dealer changed both seals, new oil, and new brake pads. Nary a question. Dealers are like the bikes - some a lot better than others.

So wouldn't a 3/4" ot 1" peice of fpam pipe insulation do the same thing??
I just went out and tried a piece. Yep. Fits.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
ataDude, I think you need to "trim" some material off of the fork guard. When the forks compress it will crush the fork guard.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Art H. said:
ataDude, I think you need to "trim" some material off of the fork guard. When the forks compress it will crush the fork guard.
No, these are so flexible they compress and rebound correctly. Keep in mind I've been running them like this for a couple of years on two bikes. I don't think the foam pipe insulation will do that.

BTW, I checked the net for the commercial seal guards... they look like the exact same stuff except the price is about four times as much. Never knew they existed.

·
Registered
525 Posts
BTW, I checked the net for the commercial seal guards... they look like the exact same stuff except the price is about four times as much. Never knew they existed.
It also looks like you may have to take the forks off to slide them on. They look better, but the velcro certainly is easier.

BTW, the OEM fork guards on the Wing and almost every other road bike only seem to cover about two inches. In the case of the Wing that is about all that is left with the stock suspension, but with the Traxxion forks there is about 4" of travel left. Granted the forks would only contract more than 2" on big bumps, nevertheless there would be some tube exposed. I think your neoprene cover is a good idea, especially for long trips in the same way some people put a bra on the front for touring or maybe bug season.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yup, LLBean TA26175 $15.00. Just ordered a set. More than the $5 but delivered to my door and saved a trip downtown to the bike shop.
Sounds like a really good idea. Thanks.

Douglas

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Here is the way I cut the Stock cover to fit over the top of the Kury brace.

I taped the cover in place,and taped off the sides that I'd need to remove.
I then cut them off with my dremmel tool.

I also removed the lip in the center,so I'd have a straight edge all the way across the bottom.

I then used chrome door edge trim,(that you can find at any auto parts store) to make a nice finish to the bottom area I had just cut off the bottom.

I then Cut a piece of 1 1/2X 2"x1/16 flat stock,and found a sheet metal screw 1 1/2 long and drilled the hole in the center of the stock.I then taped the flat stock on both sides with duct tape (I'll powder coat it later) and then placed the sheet metal screw with a flat washer through the hole where the black plastic push in rivet was originally,and tightened it in place..

Here it is installed,and protecting my forks from bugs.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I wonder if those "Gravel Guards" would work with the stock fork cover. I see that ataDude has a fork brace, with the stock fork cover removed.

The reason I ask:

I was blasting down a two-lane in western ND a few months ago. It was windy as hell (imagine that!). Every few minutes, we would encounter a large truck in the oncoming lane, carrying what I thought to be grain in an open trailer. When the each truck whooshed past, we were peppered by a violent shower of small, hard particles. I kept 'er at 73 mph the whole time without a care in the world. After all, what damage can wheat kernels do?

Well, when we stopped for lunch, my wife pulled a small piece of pea-gravel out of her shoe. I cursed lustily and looked at the bike. Yep, little tick marks everywhere on the front of the bike, including the windscreen. There were many black dots on the fairing where the paint had been penetrated.:cry:

When I got home, I inspected each fork tube. The port fork tube had two tiny nicks in it. I dressed them up with a fine Arkansas whetstone until they were gone.

I'll bet something like these "Gravel Guards" would have protected the fork tubes from gravel damage that day!

Oh well, at least the incident made me thankful that I've got StonGard headlight protectors.

BTW, this has been the ONLY drawback to the Traxxion fork springs I installed a while ago. Since there is much less sag, more fork tube is unprotected by the stock fork cover, thus exposing the fork tube to debris damage.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Rocky - NICE JOB. :yes1:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I used the stock guards with the Kury brace

1 - 16 of 16 Posts