·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Board, What is a reference measurement to determine if one has weak
springs?
With my weight on the seat and holding bike vertical the measurement
from the bottom of clamp to top of dust cover is 2-5/8". This leaves
very little movement. Oh,250 lbs. Still springs seem very weak.
Bottoms out on sharp bumps and small pot holes.
'03 / 55K miles. galewing

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Then you can purchase Traxxion springs which will give you a whole lot more support for around $125. Or you can get the whole AK-20 kit which is even better but about 10 times as much.

If you haven't heard of Traxxion, just do a site search on it to hear how riders rave about it.

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
galewing said:
Board, What is a reference measurement to determine if one has weak
springs?
With my weight on the seat and holding bike vertical the measurement
from the bottom of clamp to top of dust cover is 2-5/8". This leaves
very little movement. Oh,250 lbs. Still springs seem very weak.
Bottoms out on sharp bumps and small pot holes.
'03 / 55K miles. galewing

As you can clearly see the stock fork springs are simply too weak for a bike that weighs as much as this on does. Nearly every 1800 I have measured has sank 3 inches or more on it's forks with just the owner sitting on the bike. The lighest riders bike I have measured weighed 180lbs and his bike sagged 2.625 inches or about 50% of the fork travel just sitting on the bike.

I have also measured the fork sag with a Wing with Progressive fork springs installed. The owner weighed 280 lbs and with him sitting on the bike his forks sagged 3 inches. He has since installed the Traxxion fork springs and now his bike sags 1 inch.

Aftermarket forks springs with spring rates matched to your weight and intended use along with regular fork oil changes make a big difference with this bike. I would recommend going with the Traxxion springs because they do offer different spring rates to suit your riding needs where as Progressive springs only offer one spring rate for all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts