GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm recovering from surgery (getting old is NOT for wimps) so rather than pull the fork and do it myself, I had the dealer do it. Labor, parts, oil, EPA fee and swapping the rear tire for a new one I've had sitting on a rim for a while came to $326 and some cents. Back in the spring, they wanted about $100 more but I guess things are slowing down and they dropped the price.

Once I can handle it, I'll clean the tire on the original wheel up and sell it. What would be a good price for a used but serviceable tire and rear wheel for an '02 "Wing? It has a chicken strip but still has good tread. I'd say about 50% tire life left.

·
IronMan
17,634 Posts
$100-150 long as local freight kills it

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I posted mine on Craigslist for $50. The tire is serviceable and the wheel has a bit of pitting from brake dust. I rinsed it off but haven't really cleaned it yet. I only put 400 miles on the bike last year so the new tire will probably outlast my ownership.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
What's the date code on the tire?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's the date code on the tire?

I'm not sure. I went out to look but it's getting dark and I couldn't find my glasses. I think it's DBB4113. According to the service records though, the front and rear tires were replaced 19,000 miles ago in 2011. There was a second owner who didn't keep records though so I'm not sure about that.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
If it's from 2011-ish then it's a liability, and it's better to remove it and sell the wheel alone. It will save the buyer shipping cost due to the weight, and the cost of removal and disposal.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
If it's from 2011-ish then it's a liability, and it's better to remove it and sell the wheel alone. It will save the buyer shipping cost due to the weight, and the cost of removal and disposal.
Agree. A tire over 8 years is not worth anything and in fact, makes the deal less attractive as the buyer has to remove it and dispose of it.

I'll run tires up to 5 years old...but 8 is just too old to trust my life on.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Total cost to buyer around $100.00 for a good one. Used tire worth Zero. cost more to ship it than it is worth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts