GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a 70 series rear tire on my 2001 Wing. This led me to want to balance the geometry of the bike front to rear. With my relatively new front and rear springs and valving, I had the fork tubes raised in the triple tree 10mm. This set up worked especially well in the canyons. With the new taller rear tire, I subsequently lowered the fork tubes to flush with the cap to compensate for the taller tire. I here many guys complaining about blown fork seals. When I rebuilt my forks I made sure to polish the chrome tube with 1,000 grit sandpaper because there was much pitting from rust because of living near the beach ( bike came from Santa Barbara ). This may seem obvious but the tubes must be very very smooth in order to maintain the oil seals in the forks. Today when I was doing the work on the bike I noticed the pitting or rust starting to establish itself again on the upper tubes. Beware of this and keep and eye out to maintain the polish of the tubes. 1,500 or 1,000 grit works best.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Good advice on cleaning the tubes before installing new seals.:thumbup:
I live in Fillmore. Not much moisture here, however my 2005 developed that pitting on the fork tubes around the triple tree and just below the bottom tree clamp.
The pitting in the chrome was too severe to attempt to sand. I would up getting new fork tubes. Not that expensive.
I did not have fork seal issues until well over 100,000 miles. And then it was only mild.
Anti dive valve disabled and Progressive springs installed.

I also installed Lizzard Skins fork protector tubes. These are neoprene and attach with Velcro. They extend about 3 inches above the fork seal and well above the fork travel. I have used these before on other rod bikes. I'm convinced they have kept the bugs nd road debris away from the working fork surfaces.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
A quick preventive maintenance item is to occasionally rub the exposed fork tubes clean with WD40 & extra fine bronze wool or a 3M polishing pad.

·
Registered
343 Posts
need to do something. I try to keep them clean but only got 10,000 miles out of last set. Having to change them every year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts