GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike is an 06 with 27,000 miles. After riding today, noticed left fork has oil on it. I presume I am in need of seals, etc? How hard is this to do? I'm leaning towards having a mechanic do it for me, but wondering how costly that may be.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting - has anyone actually tried that on a goldwing? I,m presuming that if it did work, you would still end up a little short on oil left in the fork.

·
Registered
258 Posts
fork seals

I dreaded doing this job but was unwilling to pay the $400 + parts to have it done at the stealers.
I don't want to say it was a piece of cake, but you don't have to take off the fairing and it was very straight forward.
The only part that 'got' me was the bottom bolt. It would spin when I tried to loosen it. Took it to the dealer and they showed me that you use an air tool to spin the bolt faster than the inside spins. :shock: The inside did not spin when I reassembled the forks.:cool:
I was real happy that it went so well. As others have said, it makes you want to do more just to improve your time.
Go for it!!:thumbup:
VA Dan

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Bike is an 06 with 27,000 miles. After riding today, noticed left fork has oil on it. I presume I am in need of seals, etc? How hard is this to do? I'm leaning towards having a mechanic do it for me, but wondering how costly that may be.
Mine was covered under the extended warranty, but I was quoted $180.00 to replace only the leaking side

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After looking things over, and reading your comments here, I'm not real comfortable tackling this myself. Guess I'll have to just bite the bullet, and pay for someone to do it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have 2001 left fork seal started leaking used a peice 35 mm film to reset seal it worked ror about 2 weeks. Gave up took it to shop had them replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts