GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering how many have had a fork seal fail?

Happened to my '08 with 5000miles. Stupid me, thought it would be a warranty issue. Nope, a seal is a wear item and not covered. I asked the service manager to at least submit a claim to try to get coverage since the mileage is so low.

update: although I haven't heard directly from the dealer, the provisional credit card charge was never submitted. I guess Honda did cover it under warranty!

·
Registered
694 Posts
It was an extended

warranty repair on my 03. Try a new dealer. There was a rash of tube failures. As I remember the left and right forks were made by 2 different companies.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Yeah, might want to check another dealer. If memory serves many folks on here have had them replaced under warranty. 5000 miles is not normal for a fork seal to leak.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yep find another dealer. I could understand that viewpoint at about 30 K maybe, even so many dealers stand behind them at high mileage.

And they wonder why we are always blasting the dealer. Good example right here.

Something that works sometimes, and with low miles the seals is not worn out, pop the top dust cap off and run a piece of 35 mm film down past the seal and see if the bug, or sand or whatever moves out of there. Or a thin feeler gauge (one with round edges) Worth a try. If broke cannot tear it up, and sometimes it does work.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I had a right fork seal replaced under warranty on my '03 at ~ 5000 in about 2006. Maybe they don't do that anymore :shrug:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I am approaching 41K miles on my 09 Wing with no seal problems. I carry a squirt bottle containing hydrogen peroxide in my saddle bag. When I hit bugs or stop for fuel, i clean the fork tubes with the peroxide as my first duty (get them removed before they dry onto the tubes :22yikes:). Dried on insects are usually what tears up fork seals.
I then get a different towel and clean the windshield (OK, I lied because the windshield cleaning is my navigators job :thumbup:).

·
Registered
2008 GL1800
765 Posts
Yap, happened to me around 17k. My dealer said sorry, non-warranty. I say sorry , I take my work somewhere else. The service manager thinks it more important to have a good repor with the Honda Rep. I think he's turning work away before he even tries talking to the rep.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Replaced under warranty at Alamo Cycle Plex. Can't remember how many miles but probaly had a lot....24000 plus, 2008

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
60K+ with seals, bushings, and oil all original OEM on my 02

Seals are a relatively common failure on Honda motorcycles, but failing at 5K is a little unusual.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Left side warrantied at 44,000 I paid for the right side plus bushings.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I had one start leaking on my 06 around 70,000 miles. I asked the dealership and he said he thought he could still get it covered by warranty but could not say for sure until he looked at it. I went ahead and took it to Traxxion and had new heavier springs installed, I was bottoming out on any bump but front and rear. They found that the fork tube that was leaking was worn eggshaped and had to be replaced. It rides so much better now! They recommend changng fork oil every 20,000 miles or so, which is a good idea. Its not in the owners manual.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Left side failed at 56K, not warranted. It was the dealer opinion that swayed the Warranty opinion. Cheap to fix if not done by Honda Dealer.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I replaced my fork seals just because I was replacing the springs. I also replaced the bushings. Easy to do if you do it yourself but messy. The bike had about 45k on it at the time.
5k later my left fork seal blew, really blew not just leaking. It had a bad tear on it so I had to replace it. With only 5k miles on it I noticed that the bushings were already showing signs of wear and the oild was black again. Note that I had cleaned out the forks when I rebuilt them so no old oil was left.
I like to do my own maintence so Im not much on going back to the dealer, but had I gone back for a leaking fork seal at 5k I would expect them to cover it. If they said no I would defently find a different dealer and make a complaint to Honda.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I had the right side replaced last year and the left side done this year, both under my extended warranty. It's an 05 that had 50,000 ish last year and 64,000 this year. Seems like a dealer discretion kind of repair? My dealer would only do the defective one under warranty, but neither cost me a dime.

·
Registered
522 Posts
just wondering how many have had a fork seal fail?

Happened to my '08 with 5000miles. Stupid me, thought it would be a warranty issue. Nope, a seal is a wear item and not covered. I asked the service manager to at least submit a claim to try to get coverage since the mileage is so low.
Dealer replaced mine under extended warranty at 37,000 miles. Dealer did have to get approval from Honda.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I have found that high mileage forks, especially those that were not serviced very often need the lower fork housing replaced because the bore that the seals ride in has wallowed out. Typically the left side wears out first, followed by the right side soon after. It is easy to spot, requires no special tools, using a bright light look into the bore where the seals ride, if the are walls are worn out wards, you can actually see the wallowed out area. If your really not sure, any machinist with a inside bore micrometer can check it. Another sign that this has happened is new seals don't last very long, less then 10k...
On a bike like the original poster has, with that low a mileage, something else is going on. I would suspect a bad tube, or some crud stuck in the seal. If the leak has gushed fork oil all over the caliper then I would go with a bad tube. If it is just seeping out then I would go with dirt stuck in the seal.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Worn bushings can cause them to seep. Trikes with rake kits suffer greatly with that problem.

But, try one of these: http://www.sealmate.net/

I did and it worked, but only AFTER I bought a complete rebuild set. :sad: But that's not really too bad, I'm gonna need one eventually and the price ain't gonna drop.

·
15 year Member
6,940 Posts

Matt(BCNV) :tongue:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts