GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had Traxxion install front springs and service the front forks (new seals, bushing, etc) back in September at Wingstock, and now the right front is leaking. Traxxion doesn't provide any warranty on seals, so it looks like I'm on my own with this one. Two questions...

1. Does anyone know a dealer who will do the real fix under extended warranty?

2. Does anyone know a decent mechanic in the sourthern ontario area that can do this for a decent price. As I said, they were done back in September, so I dont really need both fixed..., just the leaking one.

Any suggestions... :shrug:

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Brian first try taking a short piece of 35mm film and slide it under the seal and work it around moving it up and down. Sometimes you may have a dried bug or trash up under the seal and this will dislodge it and may or may not fix the leak. Worth a try

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Good idea Snoop!:thumbup:

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brian first try taking a short piece of 35mm film and slide it under the seal and work it around moving it up and down. Sometimes you may have a dried bug or trash up under the seal and this will dislodge it and may or may not fix the leak. Worth a try
Hey Snoopy...

Certainly worth a try. Now, where do I find some 35mm film? :lol:

Wait..., I think I have an old Pentax Spotmatic in a box in the basement. I'll bet there still some film in it... :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hey Snoopy...

Wait..., I think I have an old Pentax Spotmatic in a box in the basement. I'll bet there still some film in it... :thumbup:

know some people who carry film all the time in their tool kit when on a trip, it works well , they say!! Gil

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Hey Snoopy...

You can use a thin feeler gauge too, just make sure it is not a cheep one with sharp edges you do not want to cut the seal.

Worth a try, works sometimes. I am never that lucky, I have to wrap an old towel around it till I get time to fix it.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Not knowing the miles on the forks, this may or may not be relevant.... I had 125K on my bike and went thru 2 leaky seals in a thousand miles on my rebuilt fork .... Ended up replacing the tube... There were hair line scratches going north and south on the tube from dirt damage.... The new seal kept on weeping oil...FWIW.... Cheers...:doorag:

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not knowing the miles on the forks, this may or may not be relevant.... I had 125K on my bike and went thru 2 leaky seals in a thousand miles on my rebuilt fork .... Ended up replacing the tube... There were hair line scratches going north and south on the tube from dirt damage.... The new seal kept on weeping oil...FWIW.... Cheers...:doorag:
It's been about 9500 miles since the forks were serviced and rebuilt at Traxxion.

Just for my information, where the fluid is seeping out is at the dust cap at the top of the outer tube..., but in order for the fluid to get there, it must be leaking at the seal inside..., is that correct?

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brian first try taking a short piece of 35mm film and slide it under the seal and work it around moving it up and down.
Hey Snoopy...

I found a piece of 35mm film, and I'll give that a try today. However, this will only clear out anything that might be lodged in the dust cap..., is that correct? The actual seal inside the forks is likely leaking, and this little trick wouldn't do much for that. Does this sound right?

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bring it here and I'll fix it for you as long as you don't drag any of those boder crossing guard thugs with you.
You'd likely booby trap the thing, and send me on my way, only to have the whole thing blow up somewhere on the Bluewater Bridge... :cool:

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Hey Snoopy... I found a piece of 35mm film, and I'll give that a try today. However, this will only clear out anything that might be lodged in the dust cap..., is that correct? The actual seal inside the forks is likely leaking, and this little trick wouldn't do much for that. Does this sound right?.
not quite right..
remove the dust cap in place..
(slightly pry it a bit all around without marring it up..)
.. pull it up and out of the way...

then, work the film under the fork seal
.. then, tap the dust cap back on.

You can just do the dust cap (I have)
but it probably won't last for long unless you get really lucky.

... I'm Not Snoopy... :)

·
Rocket Man
1,558 Posts
It's been about 9500 miles since the forks were serviced and rebuilt at Traxxion.

Just for my information, where the fluid is seeping out is at the dust cap at the top of the outer tube..., but in order for the fluid to get there, it must be leaking at the seal inside..., is that correct?

Hey Brian:

Ron Keys here. We met at Hutch's last Saturday.

Too bad I'm not retired or I'd do this for you. I rebuilt my entire front forks last winter. New seal, dust caps, top and bottom shims and installed the Race Tech Gold Valve kit. I worked as a MC mechanic years ago and did all my own service when I was racing MX. Sure comes in handy now.

You can try the film thing but as was said, you'll have to pry the dust cap off to get at the seal below it. Failing that, I've heard good things about Hamburg Honda just outside Buffalo. You're not far from there and they could do it in a few hours if you book the service call in advance.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've heard good things about Hamburg Honda just outside Buffalo. You're not far from there and they could do it in a few hours if you book the service call in advance.
Hey Ron...

I'm heading over to Buffalo on Thursday, so I was planning on taking a run down to Hamburg to see what they say. I'll also check in at the Honda Dealer on Transit road, just south of Lockport. I've had them do stuff for me in the past. Depending on what it looks like it might run me, Mike at Traxxion has pointed me to one of their dealers in Lake George. That just make a nice day trip... :lol:

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just to close off this thread....

I checked with two dealers in the Buffalo (NY) area..., one said they called Honda and wouldn't cover the seal under the extended warranty..., the other said to bring it in..., no problem doing it under warranty. Needless to say, I took it to the second guy. Dropped the bike off on the Thursday afternoon (it was booked in for Friday morning), and they called me at 10:30 on the Friday to say it was done.

Naturally, I was anxious to see the final bill:

Seal set - $25.99
Fluid - 2 @ $6.39
Labor - 1.25 hours @ $66/hour - $82.50

...and here's the good part...

Balance Due - $0.00

Completely covered by warranty.... :thumbup:

·
Canuck
2,848 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Yeah... who was the dealer?:popcorn:

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good deal. Who was the dealer?
Western New York Cycle, 6695 South Transit Rd, Lockport, NY.

It's a small place, but good folks there. They even had a 2012 Wing in the showroom.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Are they a bike shop or a Honda dealer?

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are they a bike shop or a Honda dealer?
A very small Honda dealer..., and they even have a 2012 in the showroom. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts