GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the left seal leaking just a bit, you can see it up the fork, once in a while i would get a faint smell of the oil specially when i got home after a ride, well i started reading and found this article about sliding a gage filler and work it around the fork and try to pull it in an angle, i ended up with some dark crud a couple of times and sat on the bike and use the front brake to rock the bike back and forth until the seal set itself again, (that is what i read anyhow) i went to work today and back and i don't see any oil on the fork, hopefully this will fix the problem at least until the riding season is over, i do have one question, since this was happening how can i check the oil in the fork and see if i need to top it off. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
135 Posts
mine was leaking...I cleaned it using seal mate.....would work for a while then leak again. I cleaned it three times...one of the leaks left a good amount of fluid on the shaft.

anyway, I checked the fluid level and added about a third of turkey baster worth...and disabled the anti dive. It has been two weeks with a weekend ride and daily trips to work...no leaks so far.

to check the fluid, you have to take the top dash panel off, undo the 4 bolts holding the instrument cluster and raise it out of the way. undo the two screws holding the plastic cover on and this gives you access to the top of the forks. Loosen the top bolt holding the fork in the triple tree then undo the top fork nut.

I also undid the right fork to take the pressure off because you then need to compress the forks and remove the spring so you can check the level.

I use a turkey baster thing with a bit of tape to show the depth. I have progressive springs so I put enough fluid in so that it was 5.5 inches below the top of the fork. 5 inches if you have stock spring. I got these measurements from other more experienced folk here...seems fine to me.

I had the left seal leaking just a bit, you can see it up the fork, once in a while i would get a faint smell of the oil specially when i got home after a ride, well i started reading and found this article about sliding a gage filler and work it around the fork and try to pull it in an angle, i ended up with some dark crud a couple of times and sat on the bike and use the front brake to rock the bike back and forth until the seal set itself again, (that is what i read anyhow) i went to work today and back and i don't see any oil on the fork, hopefully this will fix the problem at least until the riding season is over, i do have one question, since this was happening how can i check the oil in the fork and see if i need to top it off. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
My opinion to much monkeying around to check fork oil level , unless it leaked really bad I would not worry about it, lots of folks report good luck using those seal mate cleaner things, when I tried it it always started leaking again within a couple hundred miles.

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
If it ever leaks enough to pool and start running down the fork legs, you need to get your seals replaced.

It WILL stop leaking eventually when you have very little fork oil left but then you'll have a pogo stick front end and possible damage to the tubes itself.

Minor leak that's not pooling....wipe it off and go....pooling leak...get it fixed.

Fork service is cheap about $120 in parts and about 1.5 hours of labor. Most shops will do the job for under $250 complete.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I use Neoprene Fork Guards on all my bikes sold at NOJ, Inc. Minneapolis, MN 1-800-456-0485. Sorry, I have no web site. It helps protect fork tubes and seals.

Granted my Goldwing gets serviced by Traxxion periodically since the full monty installation in 2007, but I also use these protectors on it as well, and my other bikes' forks never leaked with these guards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts