GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Thursday when I got to work the back of my front fender and the engine front was covered with oil. I took it over to a dealer who called me and said the fork seals were bad. Quoted me a price just under $500. I asked Cycledude what his replacements cost and he said it was under the extented warranty. I also have the extended warranty on my cycle. I am looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
My buddy just had his replaced this summer and his bike had almost 60,000 miles on it. His extended warranty also covered his... I would lean on the dealer if at all possible.

Your only other choice I guess would to be go to another dealer...Hopefully this will not be neccessary.

One other thing. If it is the left fork seal make sure they check the anti-dive valve. Some on here have stated that can cause the left fork seal to let go.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Dealer should handle it...
$500 :shock: What really sux is that the parts are only $10...

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
GL Gene said:
Last Thursday when I got to work the back of my front fender and the engine front was covered with oil. I took it over to a dealer who called me and said the fork seals were bad. Quoted me a price just under $500. I asked Cycledude what his replacements cost and he said it was under the extented warranty. I also have the extended warranty on my cycle. I am looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Hello IF the dealer will not fix it under warranty let me know as I am staying in milwaukee!! If you have a garage & a little heat & a few tools (I have MOST needed ) I will change them for you ...chuck...let me know PM me your ph#..

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
The extended warranty specifically says it covers the forks.

Warranty says wear parts are not included. Go figure?!! Yellow man speak with forked tongue; learned it from white man.

If you have over 20,000 miles tell them your fork bushings and fork sliders are shot and you want them replaced under warranty. Springs are under spec too. They WILL almost certainly be shot upon inspection and the oil, seals, and dust covers should be included. White man think in treacherous terms if'n P-O'd.

No offense meant to fellow red skins.

prs

·
Registered
21,023 Posts
my fork seals were replaced under warranty, one fork at 115,000 and the other at 130,000 both times i had to stand around for an hour or 2 drinking free coffee and BS'n while they fixed it

even if it wasn't under warranty i don't see how they could get the bill up to $500, that seems way out of line to me

not much point in buying an extended warranty if they won't cover something as simple as fork seals, i would tell them that nicely and if they didn't do something about it they wouldn't b getting any more bussiness from me, plenty of deallers around that want my bussiness

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
When my left one went, they changed both, put on two sets of brake pads, changed the antidive and warrantied the whole job. And its an 01 pushing 80K.

There are dealers, and there are dealers.

·
Registered
19,227 Posts
Fork Seals are covered under the warranty. Go to another dealer and file a complaint against this Stealer

·
Registered
394 Posts
The only time this would not be warranty is if they went bad from bugs, rock chip on the tubes etc... Otherwise it is covered whether it is in the factory warranty or extended warranty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts