GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm ordering the parts for my fork rebuild/upgrade to Race Tech I notice that the seal kits from DL are different for '06 and later. Can someone 'splain that? Also the parts fiche shows only one #26 seal kit (51490-MCH-C11) needed. Probably a typo? Left and right are identical seals/dust covers.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
The left fork seal was changed in 06. It now has a sort of "second seal" above the first one. It is a thin little rubber seal that I guess is there to try to somehow aid the lower seal, though in all honesty I don't understand the concept, or execution of this. The only thing I can figure is that they had so many problems with the anti-dive valve causing seal failures that they added a second seal in an attempt to reduce the left fork seal failures. This second seal is also only on the left fork leg, the right leg is unchanged.

Here is a look at the seal arrangment in the left fork leg. In addition to the normal fork seal, it has the additional rubber seal and an aluminum back up washer and a steel washer.

The steel washer in there will rust, and can do real damage to your fork tube, and actually cause leaks. Take a look at what mine looked like on my new 09 with less than 1000 miles on it. It looks like the rust formed while the bike was in shipping/storage. It was built in September 08 and I took it apart in November 08 and found this.

The good news is that when Traxxion rebuilds the forks they take this steel washer out as well as the second seal, and replace it with an aluminum spacer that won't rust.

Here is a look at the second seal and alluminum back up ring and steel washer on the left, and the Traxxion spacer on the right.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Aluminum Washer

Great idea but can the aluminum washer be had without buying the Traxxion kit?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, Fred! And I did buy your videos. These three parts must be #'s 14, 41, and 42 in the fiche for '06 models. As I am going with the full Race Tech setup the anti-dive will be disabled. Would you suggest finding the alum spacer from Traxxion or just get the OEM "backup rings and seals" to fill the space?

I've had no problems at 20k miles other than the poor damping/rebound and static sag.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Thanks for the info, Fred! And I did buy your videos. These three parts must be #'s 14, 41, and 42 in the fiche for '06 models. As I am going with the full Race Tech setup the anti-dive will be disabled. Would you suggest finding the alum spacer from Traxxion or just get the OEM "backup rings and seals" to fill the space?

I've had no problems at 20k miles other than the poor damping/rebound and static sag.
You can use the OEM seal and back up plate, but I might be tempted to replace that steel washer with something that wouldn't rust. You can see what it did to my fork tube.

I suspect Max would sell you his spacer by itself if you wanted to go that route.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

Fred answered the main part of my question, and supplied photos. So I called DL parts and ask about the fiche for 06 Front Fork, specifically the items #26(51490-MCH-C11) and #42(51490-MCA-A61), ONE of each being the required number. They were perplexed and called Honda to find that #42 includes #26, i.e, a seal and dust cover, and also the 'extra seal' as pictured by Fred. COST for #42 is $7.50 while cost for #26 is $16.83. What? More parts for less money? :shrug:Yes. And #42 parts are mfg'ed in USA but #26 seal & dust cover are made in Japan. All OEM parts, Honda assured the DL person. I ordered 2 of #42 and saved money for my future fork rebuild/upgrade to Race Tech. I will try to post photos when the parts arrive from DL. And yes I did spring (?) for the Traxxion spacer ring $12.95 plus 5 for shipping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts